Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #197 of 1,026

This is a great solution I'm going to try this with all my other phones, so far this has been the best seal I have had
Quote:

Quote:
James this seal is perfect!!! But I noticed that the stem is sort of bumpy now...

If the stem is "bumpy" just try straightening the silicon with a small pen as shown in my first picture.

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #198 of 1,026
Could anyone who owns the iM716 compare it with the e-q5? I find that the iM716 is one of the most balanced single balanced armature IEM's I own. Does the e-q5 totally kills the iM716? I do not want to buy more of the same. If they are comparable products, I will just pass and happily stick to my iM716. Thanks!

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #199 of 1,026

Quote:
Could anyone who owns the iM716 compare it with the e-q5? I find that the iM716 is one of the most balanced single balanced armature IEM's I own. Does the e-q5 totally kills the iM716? I do not want to buy more of the same. If they are comparable products, I will just pass and happily stick to my iM716. Thanks!

Using your own words, yes, e-Q5 totally kills iM716 in almost every ways.

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #200 of 1,026

Would have hoped so considering the price difference
wink.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Using your own words, yes, e-Q5 totally kills iM716 in almost every ways.

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #202 of 1,026

It's not everything but it is something
biggrin.gif

Quote:

well price is not everything. I consider the DBA-02, a $150 one of the best that hands down sounds better than $400 IEMs

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #203 of 1,026
Name us a few please...

Quote:
well price is not everything. I consider the DBA-02, a $150 one of the best that hands down sounds better than $400 IEMs

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #205 of 1,026
James, it looks like you have converted someone into using your strange ways of putting tips on. All you need to do is convince him to start cutting the cores of some sony hybrids

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #206 of 1,026
Sony Hybrids on the way 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
James, it looks like you have converted someone into using your strange ways of putting tips on. All you need to do is convince him to start cutting the cores of some sony hybrids

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #207 of 1,026

Quote:
Name us a few please...

Quote:

For me Shure 530, Grado GR8 ($300), SM3, TF10, MTPC, CK10 ($300).  Some others might say IE8 and MDs.  This based on original retail prices obviously.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #208 of 1,026
This is brilliant I just snipped the stems of my meleec m9's balanced tips and now I have the best fit I've ever had on the HJE's 
biggrin.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys, so would anyone be able to recommend tips that are in between the large and medium stocks that come with the e-q5? While I think I get a good fit with the mediums, I get the feeling that if I could get something in between the large and medium (the large are too big), I would get an even bigger fit

First of all you could try to piggyback the medium stock tips on the small ones. I haven't tried this with the Ortofon tips, but the method has been helpful on several occasions when I thought I had a good fit but could maybe use a little more support.

Second, if that doesn't work I recommend Sony Hybrids. These are my preferred tips for the e-Q5 (and several other IEMs). They come in four sizes instead of the usual three and you can cut their stem to any length you like. By default their openings are smaller than the stock ones, therefore bass will be slightly enhanced. The more you shorten their stem their openings will widen as they stretch over the nozzle. I ended up with about half trimmed stems and am very pleased with both sound and fit.

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #210 of 1,026

Quote:
I have finished the burn-in for a few days now and I have spent some time listening to e-Q5. The more I listened, the more I am agree with James that e-Q5 is indeed an upgrade SQ wise over the e-Q7. No a big jump, but enough to tell the difference if one has the time to sit down and A/B them side by side.

Quote:

So would you keep the e-Q5 and give away the e-Q7 if you were forced to choose? (I just mean SQwise; let's not consider the case and the cables in this decision.)

The main difference, from what I gather, is that e-Q5 is less mid-centric, a tad more bassy and has more treble. Is this correct?

First I was considering the e-Q7 and I was worried about the mid-centricness of it, as I'm looking for a new IEM to replace/compliment my SM3s that focus thickly on the midranges. Now I'm considering the e-Q5 and I'm now worried about its enhanced treble. What do you think? Would you call these phones more neutral than the SM3?

Also, ClieOS, if you've heard the SM3 how would you compare it to the e-Q5/e-Q7?

Btw, James, you haven't received your GR10, have you? I'm curious about that item, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back