Orthodynamic Roundup
May 11, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #21,571 of 27,138
Quote:

yes and no

There was/is both a mono and stereo version of the HP50(a or s) . For some reason the HP50 sounds different to most HP3s. Primarily in that they have more bass at the start and can thus tolerate heavier damping without becoming anemic. 

..dB

Funny. The one complaint I had with the YH-3 was its bass coloration in stock form.

May 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #21,572 of 27,138
There are 3 YH-5M at japanese Yahoo! Auction now. wow!
eek.gif

May 12, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #21,574 of 27,138
You sir, are in for a treat. The headbands seem to be the weak point in the Yamaha ortho fleet.

Well, I fear Yamaha never performed the Sennheiser couch test (would have induced a peculiar sensation) or Peter Grooff's heart-stopping stomp demonstration. HP1's headband is stylish, comfortable and... delicate. See it as a charming flaw that enhances beauty

Mario Bellini could probably never have sneaked in such a compromise in today's market.

May 12, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #21,575 of 27,138
Quote:
Well, I fear Yamaha never performed the Sennheiser couch test (would have induced a peculiar sensation) or Peter Grooff's heart-stopping stomp demonstration. HP1's headband is stylish, comfortable and... delicate. See it as a charming flaw that enhances beauty

Mario Bellini could probably never have sneaked in such a compromise in today's market.

Isn't the weak point in those particular Yamaha's the hinge--or whatever the name to what connects the headband to the cups?

In the time the headband may have replaceable parts; the actual outer headband is pretty tough.
And while the plastic part of the cloth band are certainly one of their weakest link, they still work quite well as long as the cloth does not rupture. A couch test might end up severing the cups, which is a much more terrifying result than an easily user replaceable part.

May 12, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #21,577 of 27,138
Quote:
There are 3 YH-5M at japanese Yahoo! Auction now. wow!
eek.gif

Holy sweet Jesus. If I could get one I would. However I don't know how they handle international buyers... would you happen to know, KANA?

May 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #21,578 of 27,138
Quote:
Holy sweet Jesus. If I could get one I would. However I don't know how they handle international buyers... would you happen to know, KANA?

I think we need to pool ourselves into some form of consortium to take advantage of these international sales
evil_smiley.gif

May 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #21,579 of 27,138
Just to say that the one that ended-- a YH-5M in used condition, no box or other documents, not sure if still working (owner lacks equipment to test), went for at least $360.
The two others were already at $300-ish two days ago when I checked, and since it was in pretty good condition, with all box and documentations (AFAIK) we can expect it to go even higher :S

May 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #21,580 of 27,138
Quote:
Just to say that the one that ended-- a YH-5M in used condition, no box or other documents, not sure if still working (owner lacks equipment to test), went for at least $360.
The two others were already at $300-ish two days ago when I checked, and since it was in pretty good condition, with all box and documentations (AFAIK) we can expect it to go even higher :S

Yeah, I know... there's no telling how high those could hit. 

May 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #21,582 of 27,138
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I know... there's no telling how high those could hit. 

Why are they so expensive?

They're an extremely rare Japan-only orthodynamic from the late 70's... and they're also the only orthodynamic IEM ever made. This makes them very highly sought-after by collectors.

The fact that both are mint-in-box definitely doesn't help matters either.

May 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #21,583 of 27,138
Quote:
They're an extremely rare Japan-only orthodynamic from the late 70's... and they're also the only orthodynamic IEM ever made. This makes them very highly sought-after by collectors.

They also look like the apparatus my ENT doctor would use to examine my ear canal
ph34r.gif

May 14, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #21,584 of 27,138
Quote:
Quote:

They also look like the apparatus my ENT doctor would use to examine my ear canal
ph34r.gif

They are a bit odd, but I personally adore the looks. Very industrial-looking and interesting.

Unfortunately, good looks aren't enough for me to drop $400+ on it... and thats almost certainly going to be more like $700.

May 14, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #21,585 of 27,138
Quote:
ph34r.gif

Quote:
They are a bit odd, but I personally adore the looks. Very industrial-looking and interesting.

Unfortunately, good looks aren't enough for me to drop $400+ on it... and thats almost certainly going to be more like $700.

I also love the way they look. But it's not a universal opinion, there's definitely a lot of people that find it the most bizarre looking thing ever. Maybe more so than not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back