Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 15, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #20,971 of 27,138

For wider headbands you can likewise slice a section open along its length for a better fit on the head. Cutting out a oval or similar elongated shape works as well but is more work.

Here's a picture of a sliced open pleather headband for fit & comfort, and a electric taped original highly cracked headband.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #20,972 of 27,138
I have tried my friend's Yamaha HP-1(stock without any modding) and it's very very good: the sound is very smooth from top to bottom, vocal can't be better than this, it's very dark but i can easily hear details, soundstage is limited but imaging is very good. So i'm going to buy a pair of vintage ortho. After reading this thread and the orthodynamic ranking, i'm wavering between the HP-1, Pro 30 and T20v2. Can some one give me comparison between these 3?

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #20,973 of 27,138
Quote:
What are people doing to replace/repair Yamaha HP-1 headbands where the plastic has cracked and pulled away from the suede material?

Thxs

I combine a self adhesive soft-pvc stripe (sliced over the whole lenght except the two ends) with leather and rebuild the original one like these pictures show:

the soft-pvc stripe is originally for sealing doors to the floor:

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #20,974 of 27,138
Quote:
i'm wavering between the HP-1, Pro 30 and T20v2. Can some one give me comparison between these 3?

They're all fun, and they're all different. It may depend on which one is most easily available/affordable. Assuming they're all laid out for you on a table, they're each $1 and all in good condition, and all you have to do is pick one, I'd pick [despite the title and origins of this thread] between the Pro 30 and the T20v2 depending on whether you want supra-aural or circumaural. Why? Simply because they're much easier to work on, with the Pro 30 leading the pack because of the detachable earpieces.

My personal experience with the HP-1 is that the mods are rewarding, but that there's not as much potential without a wholesale transplant as there is with the T20v2, which has obstacles of its own but seems at times to be infinitely flexible-- which is a two-edged sword that means you have a headphone that can be made to sound wrong in an infinite number of ways.

Why not get one of each? [evil chortling]

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #20,977 of 27,138
Quote:
except for the hp1, i think both headphones never go above 100usd. i could be wrong though

Recently I've only seen Pro30's around the $100 range. Granted, I can only see listings that are willing to ship internationally (i.e. to Canada in my case), which usually doesn't have as low prices as the US-only ebay listings. Saw a listing for mint condition on local classifieds for $100.

Quote:
I have tried my friend's Yamaha HP-1(stock without any modding) and it's very very good: the sound is very smooth from top to bottom, vocal can't be better than this, it's very dark but i can easily hear details, soundstage is limited but imaging is very good. So i'm going to buy a pair of vintage ortho. After reading this thread and the orthodynamic ranking, i'm wavering between the HP-1, Pro 30 and T20v2. Can some one give me comparison between these 3?

I'm mostly inclined towards the HP-1, but I've never heard the T20's in any form.
My pair of Pro30's are still unmodded, and great sounding. In stock form they do not sound as open as the HP-1 though. They are less comfortable as well, and perhaps partially because of the seal causing positive pressure build up to my ears, I can't use them for extended periods.
That said, YMMV. Fit on head and ears surely will not be the same as with me.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #20,978 of 27,138
Quote:
So wheres the best place to find these? Ebay Im assuming? How much is too much?

eBay or Craigslist or yard sales, depending on how wealthy your surroundings were in 1980. I'd say $100 for a Pro 30 would be too much, but that's because I remember when they were $10. Consult with your wallet and walk away from anything painful. Patience pays dividends. Like I said, you may have to go with what's actually available in your area or on eBay. At this stage of the game, that could be anything anywhere anyprice. I'd suggest setting an absolute budget limit, sending out your search terms on eBay, asking around about yard/estate sales, and then waiting, coiled and ready to pounce.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #20,979 of 27,138
Thxs for the hp-1 headband mod ideas

To proid, i recently had my hp-1s rewired to 4 pin xlr balance. The best i've ever heard from these cans

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #20,981 of 27,138
Quote:
eBay or Craigslist or yard sales, depending on how wealthy your surroundings were in 1980. I'd say $100 for a Pro 30 would be too much, but that's because I remember when they were $10. Consult with your wallet and walk away from anything painful. Patience pays dividends. Like I said, you may have to go with what's actually available in your area or on eBay. At this stage of the game, that could be anything anywhere anyprice. I'd suggest setting an absolute budget limit, sending out your search terms on eBay, asking around about yard/estate sales, and then waiting, coiled and ready to pounce.

Yeah I have some decently wealthy areas around me that were just as if not more so in the 80s. Detroit area. So there is that, but we are also in the middle of winter so there aren't that many garage sales going right now. That will have to wait for spring. Ill try CL to see whats around there, but Ill to do less general searches because just headphones returns a swarm of Beats that probably stolen.  

Ill do some research on ebay to see what everythings going for, under a hundred seems good though. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #20,982 of 27,138
Quote:

Dear Mr. Ortho Supremus; I have questions
confused_face_2.gif
. So I have un-modded YH-100 and I'm still not willing to mod them due to my abilities to ruin small electronics. Anyway, I'm really curious how you think they compare to the HIFIMAN HE-400? I've been critically listening to a pair of AKG K701's for about 2 months straight now and decided to break out the YH-100's for a comparison. After about 2 songs I noticed how much more real the sound is on the orthos. I went back to check with the AKG and found them almost unbearably artificial sounding. Though the YH have some funky times when they may just be picking up too much bass and I get a sound like a click or wood block. Lets just say they are not perfect, but incredible none the less; at least 90% of the time they exceed my needs. One of the reasons I want to get the he400 is because I want a over ear ortho and I'm on a budget. The way the YH sits on my ears can be painful after long listening; though I've also read that the HE400 are heavy and uncomfortable. Also, I'm afraid that with regular use they could break any day now and I will want to replace them. It's been a hard decision because not many people seem to know much about the YH ortho qualities, but everyone seems to think the hifiman is great.      

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #20,983 of 27,138
Quote:
So what happens when you slap j$ beyer earpads onto a YH100, huh?

​

My friend loved the YH100 I modded for him but its flimsy earpads were hurting his ears after a while = problem solved
darthsmile.gif

And I'm still as weak as ever because I've got another aniso HP1 heading my way, it's hard to let those things pass by.........I tried to resist, I really did! But I'm hoping that the previous one I had was a dud, because I'd love to mod it to be a compromise between the HP1 3D SS + the YH100 bass.....the worst case scenario being that it'll go back to where it came from.

OMG  That's awesome! Gotta get me some of them pads.
I saw another pic where the pads are glued on with Tack It Over And Over. Is that what was done here?

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #20,985 of 27,138
Quote:
How are the HP2s and would they be worth 40 dollars plus shipping or should I look for something else?

Depends on the condition. I paid $40 for mine and they are in VG condition with intact headband and clean supple pads. At that price (and the guy delivered them to my work) I was very happy.

I always hate to advise this, but look up past auctions on Ebay and you'll see that they sell readily at pretty high prices these days.

As far as sound quality goes I like them a lot after replacing the internal decaying foam and some basic damping with felt behind the driver. Not the best cans in my collection, but very fun and a distinctive presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back