Orthodynamic Roundup
Feb 22, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #18,961 of 27,181

I love the Sony build. Looked like it went off pretty easily. Any plans on redecalling the outers to remove the Sony emblem, or at least get a matching script decal to add underneath like  "Orthodynamic/ Regular Phase/ Linear Drive/ Superstudiocustomultrapromonitorsfi Edition " I wonder how many reactions you would get out and about, unless you're going to just go stealth and knowingly chuckle inside at your superior creation as you walk among the rest of the great hordes of people .

Yes, I thought about having new cup rears laser-cut and engraved on mirror finish plexiglass, with something like "regular phase" on them, but it will require major surgery and I have too many projects to finish and too little time. I might try sanding down the Sony logo and polishing the plastic with a smoothing paste I have somewhere.

Quote:
I think they're MDR-ZX100.  Those would be supra-aural.  No angled drivers that I know of, though Ludoo would know best.

Removing the emblem would be awesome, especially if you could keep that shine.  I sanded the hell out of my MDR-V150, and then tried to smooth it out again.  Decent job in the end, but it wasn't a glossy finish like the ones Ludoo has pictured.  The V150 does not have a glossy finish to begin with, so the look hasn't changed much.  Except mine were dyed white in a fit of boredom.

FWIW, I'm not well-versed in Ortho Ninjitsu, but I wouldn't mind a crack at those baffles if no one else has claimed them.  I have drivers looking for good homes.

Yes, they are cheap MDR-ZX100, supra-aural, no angled drivers. But of course you can angle them yourself when fixing them to the new baffles. Send me your address by PM, postage wil be cheap as the new baffles are very light. The only things you will need, apart from the pones and SFI drivers, are two component glue, acrylic glue if you are a perfectionist for the two small rings tht stop the driver (I had none so did not use it), a screwdriver, and a tiny hand drill. I use a plain old pencil, it's cheap, available anywhere, and accepts bits up to 1.5/2mm

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #18,962 of 27,181
I found a box in my mailbox this morning when leaving home, and inside were the Amfiton TDS-15, here pictured side by side with the T20v1 to give you an idea of their tiny size:

First impressions are: unusable from a DAP, they need power but are quite sensitive once connected to an amp; the best orthos I have ever listened to in stock form; bass has an incredible texture, and exactly the right amount for my tastes; mids are somehow thin, probably due to the awful hard leaky pads. I can only guess how they could sound with properly sealing pads, as they are already fantastic.

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #18,968 of 27,181
Did someone in here grab the Sawafuji SF-17 just on Fleabay Joimany?
Yet another mislabeled/ barely described kopfhorer, simply labeled as " Kopfhorer "
I rescued the picture. This particular one has differing "RIGHT/LEFT" side badges than what is shown in the wiki and that Japanese site.
Not sure if it's an actual one or a rebadged thin dynamic in the same housing.

For potential future hunters of this rarity, as far as a description of the writing I was told: " [size=10pt]da steht super Fidelity Dynameca Stereo Headphone [/size]" <-- hit up IMTranslator for whichever various interpretations you like.
It sure is the same housing but ... now we'll never know.

I was just going to go back in and secure it in a cheapo behind the scenes outbid, but figured ultimately it is essentially an SFI driver tuned nicely. I have enough of those. The historical aspect is fascinating, but have to slow down or stop somewhere, maybe, sort of. I'm sure whoever got it knew what it was as well hope they take proper enjoyment of said artifact.

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #18,969 of 27,181
Thanks for grabbing that. Maybe one of nickchen's krautsters got it and we'll get a chance to get some impressions after all.

I see they had a NAD Model 10 that ended today. Weird looking headphone.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #18,971 of 27,181
You obviously have a definition of "tinkering" that differs from mine. Regardless, I hope your 15 turns out well-- at the very least, I hope it becomes more comfortable to wear. I have some TDS-16s that very likely have the same hard and hollow (feels that way) pads. Terrible. In other news, thanks to you I'm revisiting Polaroid's 1963 wondercam, the Automatic 100. 

By the way, thanks for the new tweaks on the search engine.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #18,972 of 27,181
You obviously have a definition of "tinkering" that differs from mine. Regardless, I hope your 15 turns out well-- at the very least, I hope it becomes more comfortable to wear. I have some TDS-16s that very likely have the same hard and hollow (feels that way) pads. Terrible. In other news, thanks to you I'm revisiting Polaroid's 1963 wondercam, the Automatic 100. 

By the way, thanks for the new tweaks on the search engine.

I should have used "tune" instead of "tweak": I won't tune them, I will probably tweak them a little bit.

Funny you should mention the Land Camera 100: I'm converting a 101 to accept a large format "real" lend and shutter, and I'm up to my head in mount hole sizes, angles of view, flange registration distances, etc. Lots of fun! I will send you an email on the 100 As soon as I get to the office.

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #18,975 of 27,181
Opened up the HOKs again today after having them sealed up for the last month or two or however many. I'd had them on my head on and off during that time, and felt consistently that the imaging was just not good enough to be enjoyable.

I noticed that the felt I had used against the driver was the thin kind, about 2 mm (has a hole in the middle, so it's more of a donut than a disc). I remember having played around with felt of varying thicknesses, and I seem to recall that a thicker felt donut gave better detail retrieval than did a slimmer felt donut. I don't know why I had the slim felt in there, but I replaced it with a thicker felt donut (it's about 4 mm in fatness). On listening, I'm pretty sure imaging and detail improved.

The issue I have with the HOKs is that they're a bit clinical-sounding. Not very emotional. The thicker felt donut gives them a more toe-tapping aspect, at least. So a thick felt donut in the HOK (v. 1) gets up my thumbs, regardless of the general wisdom that the HOKs need not a lot of damping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back