Orthodynamic Roundup
Feb 12, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #18,887 of 27,171
Nice, I really was close to buying that, but I just have too many orthos already... 

It takes so long to get damping right it's no wonder we see so many headphones released with such glaring problems.  And that's just the damping, not to mention enclosure and driver and diaphragm...

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #18,888 of 27,171
Thanks for holding off on the amfiton RD. I am not trying to incite jelousy here but I am really enjoying these headphones. I now understand how collecting vintage orthos could become an addiction. In fact I was being tempted by a HP 1 on the local ebay only a day after getting the amfiton as I was getting an itch to hear some more ortho goodness from a different maker. Luckily the price went too high and I was saved from having to explain to SWMBO why I needed another pair of headphones. I just need to keep telling myself I can only listen to 1 headphone at a time..................or is there a cure for vintage ortho addiction. You ortho ninjas who enjoyed the early days of the rediscovery of orthos must of had so much fun cherry picking those cheap old gems.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #18,889 of 27,171

Quote:
Thanks for holding off on the amfiton RD. I am not trying to incite jelousy here but I am really enjoying these headphones. I now understand how collecting vintage orthos could become an addiction. In fact I was being tempted by a HP 1 on the local ebay only a day after getting the amfiton as I was getting an itch to hear some more ortho goodness from a different maker. Luckily the price went too high and I was saved from having to explain to SWMBO why I needed another pair of headphones. I just need to keep telling myself I can only listen to 1 headphone at a time..................or is there a cure for vintage ortho addiction. You ortho ninjas who enjoyed the early days of the rediscovery of orthos must of had so much fun cherry picking those cheap old gems.

The tds15 is great. :), if you can get a good seal on them i think they are the best russian ortho. I think you are lucky and got a great bargain, so dont feel jealous of those from long ago :wink:.

I dont think there is a cure lol,apart from find a can you like and the ESCAPE from ever looking at other cans.

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #18,890 of 27,171

Quote:
I damped my first pair of HP-3 using the SR-3N I had at the time, and while the Stax had better treble and soundstage, the Yamahas were much better at everything else. I also have a kind of aversion to stats sound, they have a kind of exaggerated liquid smoothness that I find unnatural and extremely unpleasant.

Alright, thanks for the feedback! these vintage STAX transformers need a speakers amp anyway, and I'm not ready to have another two boxes on my desk atm. I'm also still very much in honeymoon w/ the Yam' mids and I've got a YH-1 and a YHD-2 coming my way, I think the upgraditis monster will have enough ortho goodness to chew on until summer at least...hopefully 

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #18,891 of 27,171
I wonder how nikchen liked those? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?item=130630453506

At least he scored a pair of SFI's for a good price 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #18,892 of 27,171
Too bad we don't have this scan in higher resolution, but I really like how they explain that the other headphones makers are merely selling miniature loudspeakers drivers: http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/92/9299bc32_vbattach5397.jpg

They didn't have the guts to write that all dynamics are essentially based on the circa 1937 DT48 
evil_smiley.gif

And not relying on a plastic/cellulose diaphragm also drastically increases MTBF(I've got sour memories of a completely busted cd3k). Hopefully those Yamies will keep working for another +35 years 
popcorn.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #18,896 of 27,171
I originally had both YHD1 and YHD2 at my disposal and decided not to switch out the drivers in my modded yhd2 for the yhd1 as it sounded so very good. RD recently had a stash of orthos and I couldn't resist the urge of the yhd1. I have not yet tried it sans any damping but as I received it , with pads and without, it paled in comparison to my yhd2. I know the driver is capable, it is just a matter of getting it there. 

RD, I found this truly funky foam that you use to stain wood floors - has a top cover with long hair like fluff, and then open cell behind it. I figured it was worth a shot but it makes it sound like a razor edge with little to no acoustic bass extention, does electronica with aplomb but for general listening it is too tilted. I still have the sony pads on the cups. 

..dB

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #18,897 of 27,171
yeah, the YHD-1 is using anisotropic magnets...and I'm not too fund of them in the HP-1. As usual, technically more advanced doesn't necessarily mean more enjoyable(some even prefer the HP50 over the HP-1/YHD-1
blink.gif
)

My YHD-2 seller shipped them earlier today and said that they should make me plenty happy, we'll see about that 
happy_face1.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #18,900 of 27,171
yeah, no blasting music like that at my gym thankfully..except in the group exercise classes which are in separate rooms. When am on the tread mill or on the weight floor its quiet enough to use something like the YHD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back