Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #18,796 of 27,141
Belated B'day wishes, Ludoo.
beerchug.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #18,797 of 27,141
Yes, hope you feel better, may all good T20v1s come your way, thanks for kicking the search engine back to life, and thanks for telling me that Fuji was making Polaroid pack film! I had no idea. Still waiting for the Dutch Impossible Project folks to come up with some good SX-70 color.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #18,798 of 27,141
Feel better L. My son just turned 13 and he has wanted to try his hand at photography, we picked up an entry level DSLR ( Cannon Rebel ) and he has amazed me at the quality of images he has produced. I find it fascinating that you dabble in vintage film  formats, I fondly recall sitting in the dark room with my father as he developed his own film and images..dB

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #18,799 of 27,141
I was very lucky to have heard RD's headphones this Sunday along with Cee Tee. 
My first surprise came from the modded YH3, it is very shocking to hear their sound coming out. I have a pair of stock YH3, which sounds plain and no fun. But the RD version are superb! sparkling highs, deep bass with good quantity, large head stage. It is very hard to believe the big sound is coming from this small headphones I have never been impressed. 
Both me and cee tee agree that the YHD1 transplant sounds even better. I did brief comparison with RD's modded T50RP, the "torture device" (showing below) RD built sounds significantly better. The sound is crisp, transparent, fast and lively with decent head stage. Not much quantity for bass but able to hit low.
Unfortunately, the orthodynamic driers need a lot of power, otherwise I might have robbed RD for his YH3 for my everyday portable use.
Congratulations to RD for the excellent work. He has spent a lot of time on the mod and tested very carefully for even a slight change of modding. 
And the holes on the YHD1 looks even artful. With the hole, they look like (and probably sound like) a baby YH1000 . 
All the headphones are going to Wulta's hands, so there might be impressions with more details.  

Quote:
And here's some updated and more detailed pictures of my YHD1 transplant.  Pics don't do it justice but at least you get the idea.  Plugs are light wood color (not blown out white
wink.gif
)  they sound nice except for the grain, which I'm not sure where it's coming from.  Maybe my amps aren't up to the task.  (SOHA1 and EHHA reva although I think there's something wrong with it...)

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #18,800 of 27,141
I got a Sony DR5A on ebay for the headband a while ago and haven't used it.  With some padding of some kind it might be pretty nice.  Lemme know if anyone wants it for the cost of shipping. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #18,802 of 27,141
I took my Realistic STA-2200 to a meet last week end because all of the HiFi Man products were going to be there and I wanted to see how they sounded with a mosfet amp.  They sounded very good.  So much so that when I plugged the HE-6 in towards the end of the meet, my setup was the entire focus of the people remaining at the meet.  A couple of people took pictures of the STA-2200 to remember what it was and I noticed that an auction that ended today had an higher than usual number of bids.

The HE-6 are hard enough to drive that I saw the LED Vu meters lighting up for the first time.  They also had plenty of bass.

I was disappointed with the HE-400, only because I had been reading that they could be driven by an iPod, but that's not really true.  My iPod's volume was around 90% to get acceptable volume.  I'm pretty sure they'd clip pretty bad with some bassy music.  I brought my YHD-1 to compare to the HD-400, and the guy who was repping for HiFi Man really liked them and wants one.

Quote:
I forgave every sin Yamaha designers have committed, once I got my T30. This, my friends, is a 'torture device from Hell'. Only a true sadist could have designed such a headphone 'cause the damned thing sounds so good that you don't want to take it off even though your poor ears are crying for mercy.

At least the Bellini design Yammies can be easily worn for hours without any fear of ear amputation !

The Sony XB700 pads work great.  I can wear them all day with no discomfort.

Quote:
I don't think the LCD-2 or LCD-3 is that far above the vintage orthos and I don't think they are by any means the best an ortho can be.  I think they still have problems just like the vintage stuff.  I don't think we've seen even close to the potential yet and I have a feeling it's going to be a modern smaller driver ortho that will be the real game changer. 

I've done a head to head comparison of the T30 to an LCD-2 at a meet and the T30 is not far off, just a bit rolled off in the sub bass.  There was near universal agreement with the exception of one bass head who couldn't live without the sub bass.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #18,803 of 27,141

The HE-6 are hard enough to drive that I saw the LED Vu meters lighting up for the first time.  They also had plenty of bass.

I was disappointed with the HE-400, only because I had been reading that they could be driven by an iPod, but that's not really true.  My iPod's volume was around 90% to get acceptable volume.  I'm pretty sure they'd clip pretty bad with some bassy music.  I brought my YHD-1 to compare to the HD-400, and the guy who was repping for HiFi Man really liked them and wants one.

I recently asked Hifiman what phone they would advise for a HP-1 fanboy such as me(the price tag of the HE-400 is appealing), and Fang told me that he has never heard the HP-1 but he still advised me to buy the $1.3K HE-6, that should make me plenty happy from what he said.

How you can design/sell such expensive orthos w/o having heard the legendary vintage ones is beyond me...talk about reinventing the wheel 

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #18,805 of 27,141

Quote:
1 ) I took my Realistic STA-2200 to a meet last week end because ...  I wanted to see how they [the HiFiMan neo-orthos] sounded with a mosfet amp.  They sounded very good.  So much so that when I plugged the HE-6 in towards the end of the meet, my setup was the entire focus of the people remaining at the meet.  A couple of people took pictures of the STA-2200 to remember what it was and I noticed that an auction that ended today had an higher than usual number of bids.

2 ) The HE-6 are hard enough to drive that I saw the LED Vu meters lighting up for the first time.  They also had plenty of bass.

3 )  I brought my YHD-1 to compare to the HD-400, and the guy who was repping for HiFi Man really liked them and wants one.

Quote:

I forgave every sin Yamaha designers have committed, once I got my T30. This, my friends, is a 'torture device from Hell'. 

4 ) The Sony XB700 pads work great.  I can wear them all day with no discomfort.

1 ) Whoa. Trial by fire for the STA-2200. You don't know how I've sweated bullets (well, BBs) over your getting this freaky bit of audio history based on my recommendation, at least partially. So it didn't embarrass anyone, eh? Good. Well, it might have embarrassed some folks if they'd known how much you paid for it.

2 )  Interesting. Even on the low range? You should have seen mine when I was trying to inject bass into the HOKs.

3 ) Go go YHD!

4 ) Guru, Scompton here is your one-stop shop for everything T30. The two of them go 'way back.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #18,806 of 27,141
Scompton/Wualta : The XB700 pads are pretty hard to find, I suppose one would have to buy the whole headphone to get them. That plus the international shipping would take the purchase cost to a sum with which I could buy a YHD-1. I think I'll choose the latter..

As for vintage/neo ortho argument - IMHO a stock T30 has lesser issues than a stock LCD-2.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #18,809 of 27,141
How low could Audeze really price their LCDs? From what I can see, it's a small company with not that many years of existence. Fostex seems happy putting out orthos for $70, but I'm guessing Audeze isn't in the position to compete at that level.

Might as well use wood for cups, bump up the price a bit more and sell it as a luxury product instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back