Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 6, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #16,036 of 27,137

Quote:
That must have been a damn nice fish tank!

I have an unused 29 Gallon tank in storage if you decide you really miss your fish tank. 
tongue.gif

Haha, it was just a 46 gallon bowfront ive used for about 5 years. Hes gonna pay me to install it for him. I still have a 55 gallon to get rid of, wonder what i can trade that for
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #16,038 of 27,137

Quote:
RD, try a backwards reflex dot. You know, on the ear side.

I hear sticking those dots in your ear works too
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #16,039 of 27,137

Quote:
Does anyone know any tricks for reducing an upper midrange peak?  I can't get it out of any of my Fostexen.  Even when underdamped, bassy, warm they still have an upper mid peak that sticks out, though it is less pronounced when there is less treble because all of that range is brought down.  I have pretty much exclusively been listening to the Fostex for the past few weeks while tinkering with them and I put on my Sextetts today and was so relieved to hear how smooth the midrange-treble region is.  Of course, then their grainy treble gets annoying after awhile.  If only the T10 and Sextett could have a baby.

Ive tried endless combinations of felts and foams and I tried Nikchen's pad mod on my T20v2, but it seemed to have the opposite affect- it thinned the sound and added air and treble.  Maybe I didn't use enough duct tape but I'm pretty sure I got a good seal. 

A good lection on listening habits and how they differ. I don't have any issues with the T20's mids presentation, in fact it's the mids/upper mids section that is the frequency range where I personally find it really glorious sounding.

Have you ever heared a W1000 or a AD2000? That is an upper mids peak I can tell you...

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #16,041 of 27,137
Does anyone know if tension in the felt affects its damping properties? From a mechanics standpoint you know it has to change something, but whether or not its audible... ?

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #16,042 of 27,137

Quote:
I hear sticking those dots in your ear works too
biggrin.gif

But with dots in your ears (keeps the cochlea warm, eh) you can't hear that sticking dots in your ears works. This is a paradox that will have to be worked out by Charles Taylor.

Quote:
Does anyone know if tension in the felt affects its damping properties? From a mechanics standpoint you know it has to change something, but whether or not its audible... ?

Yes, if the felt is floppy you get an odd effect the gist of which is a hump in the mid-bass. This was shamelessly used to add some much-needed bass to ericj's Maiors.

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #16,046 of 27,137
Does anyone know what kind of connector is there on the headphone side? Looks like a coax kind of connector. I might incorporate something like that on my DT880...

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #16,047 of 27,137
It's a little screw-on coax connector. I'd be more comfortable if the sticky-outy bits were recessed into the cup for protection, but I haven't read of any reliability problems either. Yet.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #16,048 of 27,137

Quote:
Does anyone know what kind of connector is there on the headphone side? Looks like a coax kind of connector. I might incorporate something like that on my DT880...

It's a type of micro RF connector like the ones used on the back of WiFi routers.  A little smaller than the mini-XLRs, but not really designed for audio so much, much smaller contact surface area. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #16,049 of 27,137
Okay, I haven't read all... uh... 1,070 pages of this thread.

Just a quick question here:

--Would the HiFiMAN HE-6 work okay off the speaker outs of a Harman-Kardon HK3480 receiver?

--Would the HiFiMAN HE-6 work okay off the speaker outs of a Carver M500t power amp?

Thanks!

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #16,050 of 27,137

Quote:
Quote:

It's a type of micro RF connector like the ones used on the back of WiFi routers.  A little smaller than the mini-XLRs, but not really designed for audio so much, much smaller contact surface area. 

That's interesting.  Does it have less contact area than bigger headphone company's connectors?  Like the Sennheiser vampire plugs, or Fostex's locking mini jacks?  Or...I can't think of any others...  AKG uses mini-XLR's like Audeze, but they don't seem nearly as big. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back