Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 31, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #16,006 of 27,156
Bit off the Iso/Ortho thread here, but...
I own a Betamax (SL-HF100UB for you detail freaks!) that was originally used by Massive Attack to record on, in the days before digital recorders/DATs, etc.
It was, I guess, the first digital recorder. Mushroom lived around the corner from me.
Bristol's glorious past in the 80s!!
Maybe I'll try it out again!  Could listen on my Wharfedales (though my Leak 3090 speakers would be better!)

Still have a few boxes of tapes (but no rare 'Attack, I'm afraid!)
I DO have some Beatle Apple Boutique posters though, from 1968....

Dec 31, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #16,008 of 27,156
^^ indeed!!

I have yet to transfer the wharfie drivers oer to their new afzelia cps.

But I am now busy with my first listening session at my new bachelor pad 
biggrin.gif
..and guess which headphone i reached for first :p  THe yammy YHE-50S..

Something about this headphone..i am in love with the ease in its presentation, the way it feels over the ear (Even without any pads)..the midrange has all of that yamaha goodness..what a fantastic find for me personally.  The bottom end is decent and not up to the levels it should be..but it hardly detracts from what the headphone can do otherwise.

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #16,009 of 27,156

I found this hub cap/ manhole cover/ piece of garbage sitting on the street in front of my house today.  What does it mean?  Am I thinking about my Fostex too much?  Is it a sign?  Are aliens coming from outerspace?
blink.gif

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #16,010 of 27,156

Quote:

I found this hub cap/ manhole cover/ piece of garbage sitting on the street in front of my house today.  What does it mean?  Am I thinking about my Fostex too much?  Is it a sign?  Are aliens coming from outerspace?
blink.gif

:xf_eek: Orthollumunati!!!

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #16,011 of 27,156
Looks like half of some sort of heat exchanger... OR a gigantic ancient orthophone artifact, probably dropped by careless aliens! 
Sachu: Glad to hear those aliens dropped a YHE  (E for Electone, presumably) on you. With the pads, the bass becomes much stronger, as you'd expect. Back in the day, Koss tried using a rubber blade as an earpad. You could duplicate this by gluing on an old discarded wiper blade formed into a circle. Just a thought.

Oh-- the SL-HF100 wasn't itself a digital recorder, though there's probably a switch on the back that says PCM; that's for adding a digital audio adapter like the PCM-F1.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #16,012 of 27,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OR a gigantic ancient orthophone artifact, probably dropped by careless aliens! 

I'm going to go with option B as most likely.  It is clearly orthalien in nature.  I brought it in and it's going on my wall. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #16,013 of 27,156
Hah. the ortholuminati. It sounds like a secret cabal of ortho modders, skulking around in the shadows, gathering rare and powerful orthodynamics, shaping and restoring them to true power...

Also, that giant ortho driver isn't really "giant". It's perfectly normal sized for the aliens. You've seen their sculptures on Easter island right?

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #16,014 of 27,156

Quote:

blink.gif

My guess is that it's the top of an electric bbq grill. Missing the heating element, of course.

I see them frequently in thrift stores, which leads me to believe that they are terrible.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #16,016 of 27,156

Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if T50rp pads would fit a T20v2?  

Maybe the K-240 pads will fit.

The T50RP pads actually fit perfectly. I tried this yesterday as I grabbed the T20V2's for my duaghters keyboard and wanted to use different pads. I will test it out later with music to see what it does to the sound. If you happen to have some sony electet pads, they fit perfectly too but are a little stiff /hard..dB

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #16,017 of 27,156

Quote:
Happy ending: I got another RS-1500, back around the time I started this thread. Many of my tapes were Ampex 406 and 456-- tape geeks instinctively know what this means and will gasp and stagger backwards. But many were not. It's nice to have Rod Coneybeare's Leo In the Wonderful Country back again.
A peek into my bike history.
A peek into my photographic history.

Say Waulta, you wouldn't happen to have a color film processor your not using anymore, do you? 

I really want to get back into film, but it's so damn expensive to develop here locally, even if I don't have prints made, which I don't want as I plan to scan the negatives, both color and B&W. 

Tried to get the 8x10 box camera from my M-I-L this past week when we were visiting, which she had said she would give to me the last time I was up there, but now she's saying she's going to sell it because she needs the money.  Probably for the best or I would never hear the end of it and she would hold it over my head forever and beyond. 

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #16,020 of 27,156
Thanks for the offer RD, but I have no room for a full darkroom and no plans to burn prints, just want to develop my own film in 35mm, 120, and other medium formats.

Damn, that too bad waulta. I was watching one on the 'Bay and it went much higher than my budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back