Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 26, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #15,991 of 27,156
Yep, I also intend to take a closer look onto the T50RP as my 2nd ortho & tinker line before becoming "final" with the LCD2 (or whatever will be available when I've put enough money aside). I must say, I am very content that I could revive my hobby again after all that soulless new "high res" stuff that had been thrown on the market had disappointed me so much.

Meetwize, EddieE's HP1 and a YH1000 will also propably participate. The latter is a bit tragical story though, it's a padless old worn ...thing... it gets only used as control instrument (amp working / not working) by its aged actual owner. And that idiot totally refuses to let them go!!!
frown.gif

Dec 26, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #15,992 of 27,156
Can someone offer some comments on the sound (pre/post mod) between the modern T20/40/50? I'm thinking at some point I may jump back into this (kinda sad I traded my T40v1 now) and the easiest thing might be to just buy a new pair.

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #15,993 of 27,156
Easy, pre-mod I though the T50RP was pretty awful and barely listenable  but after modding and having opened the bloody thing countless time it has quickly becoming my favourite can. OK,  it doesn't say much about the sound. Considering I got those second hand for £40 and probably spent another £30 on new pads and materials, it was definitely worth the effort.

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #15,994 of 27,156

Quote:

Quote:
It's really nice to know that you paid 20 dollars for your favorite headphone, and hand tuned it specifically to be perfect.  It's a very differnent feeling from the one I get when I take my LCD-2 out of the drawer and I'm always on the verge of an anxiety attack because of the investment in them.  I guess for me, there can be more than just SQ that makes music enjoyable.  But that doesn't stop the lust for perfection...

You've put your finger on a psychological kernel that underlies much of the emotion you see expended on this forum. The question of whether to shoot one's wad on the State of the Art accessory (headphone, lens, guitar pick) or go for the highest bang/buck-ratio item is perennial and will always be with us. I can understand and sympathize with both approaches, especially as a former camera and bike geek. Sometimes the state of the art is so imperfect that you simply throw money at the problem and get the best you can afford, knowing it's really not good enough. A good example would be buying the best VHS machine back in 1986. Fun at the time, maybe not an optimum strategy, but sometimes you gotta do it. Getting control of that emotional set called satisfaction-- a tough job, tougher than getting control of a diaphragm.

Yup.  I paid $1000 for a JVC HR5000U in '85.  The worlds 1st VHS-HQ VCR which also had MTS stereo.  It was quite a step up from my 1st VCR, the famous convertible Panasonic, aka. "Reggievision".  Bisides the amazing picture, that JVC had incredible sound quality for a VCR, esp. run through my Yamaha CR-600 and B&O M70's.  

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #15,996 of 27,156
I still have my 1984 Sony HFR70 SuperBeta HiFi. It was a sweet-spot buy rather than a TOTL buy. But don't remind me that I sold my Technics isoloop-drive reel machine after copying all my tapes to audio-only videocassettes. Oh, the shame.

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #15,997 of 27,156

Quote:
Yep, I also intend to take a closer look onto the T50RP as my 2nd ortho & tinker line before becoming "final" with the LCD2 (or whatever will be available when I've put enough money aside). I must say, I am very content that I could revive my hobby again after all that soulless new "high res" stuff that had been thrown on the market had disappointed me so much.

Meetwize, EddieE's HP1 and a YH1000 will also propably participate. The latter is a bit tragical story though, it's a padless old worn ...thing... it gets only used as control instrument (amp working / not working) by its aged actual owner. And that idiot totally refuses to let them go!!!
frown.gif

Nice, I'm looking forward to your comparisions.  I got some foam today from some xmas presents, so I'll be beefing up my T20 pads soon.  :D  

That is sad about the YH1000.  You should bring your T20 and let him hear them and feel the soft comfort of those beefed up pads, and offer a nice trade for him.  
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #16,000 of 27,156

Quote:
Does anyone know if T50rp pads would fit a T20v2?  

Inner diameter is too big, I am dead sure the T20v2 need their "poor man's" inner size to develop enough sound pressure. That is at least the result of my pad swapping experiments...

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #16,001 of 27,156

Quote:

It's always fun when a guy walks into a fabric store, especially here in the midwest. For extra enjoyment, insist on explaining in painful detail what you intend to do with this tiny bit of felt. Wink a lot. Be sure to mention my name.

While you're there, ask for the quickie tutorial on the different grades of felt available and what can be done with them (eg, shrinking). Investigate the role of wool in felt and acoustic absorption. If you can, start collecting different grades and porosities. Think of them the way you would about a set of different-sized screwdrivers-- it's good to have a variety on hand.

Everybody make a point of introducing members of your family to good sound as you get together over the holiday. That's a big part of what this thread is about: good sound that doesn't break the bank.

There are a few books in the wild on the subject and a cool magazine on natural fibers.  Then for those lucky enough to be in the Midwest or other agrarian areas, the local county fair is a wealth of local fiber and knowledge.  Felt is not terribly hard to make with the proper setup and very simple tools.  For headphone damping quantities, a large sushi rolling mat is big enough to do the job.  I'm fortunate to have found local sources for wool and alpaca fibers and I might have a line on mohair too.  :)  Enough that I'll probably upgrade my rolling mat to a much larger size and make felt for coats and hats as well as my speakers. 

I've tried over two dozen felts from 3 different chains, but so far none have the acoustic properties of the magical felts from Italy.  Now, I'll admit I'm probably splitting hairs to most, but the differences are audible and much easier to achieve with the Oz felt from Italy. 

It's funny, I've introduced my family and friends, but they prefer to just come listen to my gear than invest in there own.  I love my bargain cans, but for me it has lead to the building of more complicated or more expensive custom headphones and amps.  These new headphones, while planar, aren't orthos and they have something called a bias voltage. 
tongue.gif
  Now my friends are waiting for this amp to be built (and harassing me about getting it done) so they can hear the cans and amp.  I wish they would fund a few commissioned builds though, as I need to order some more parts and I don't want to dip into my non-hobby funds to spring for them. 

Quote:

Quote:
It's really nice to know that you paid 20 dollars for your favorite headphone, and hand tuned it specifically to be perfect.  It's a very differnent feeling from the one I get when I take my LCD-2 out of the drawer and I'm always on the verge of an anxiety attack because of the investment in them.  I guess for me, there can be more than just SQ that makes music enjoyable.  But that doesn't stop the lust for perfection...

You've put your finger on a psychological kernel that underlies much of the emotion you see expended on this forum. The question of whether to shoot one's wad on the State of the Art accessory (headphone, lens, guitar pick) or go for the highest bang/buck-ratio item is perennial and will always be with us. I can understand and sympathize with both approaches, especially as a former camera and bike geek. Sometimes the state of the art is so imperfect that you simply throw money at the problem and get the best you can afford, knowing it's really not good enough. A good example would be buying the best VHS machine back in 1986. Fun at the time, maybe not an optimum strategy, but sometimes you gotta do it. Getting control of that emotional set called satisfaction-- a tough job, tougher than getting control of a diaphragm.

Former?  Bikes and cameras aren't something you can easily quit.  Oh, you might stop shopping or reading about them, but deep inside, the lust is still there.  I have modded my old Gary Fisher MTB to be a SS city bike and I just love it, but then I go out in the garage and I see the Soul Cycles Hooligan frame and the desire to build it up as a uber fast SS XC MTB with a Fox fork, King headset, and the latest and greatest Avid hydraulic brakes is right back again.  Fortunately, the indecision on what color to anodize the frame has kept me from actually ordering $2K worth of parts to finish the bike.  But then I browse Surly, Salsa, or Soma's web sites and lust for a steel roadie frame and a cargo bike to round out the heard. 

Now I've got the camera bug again, but more specific, I'm really jones'ing for a simple 645 or 120 medium format camera and developing the film myself to scan into digital. 

Then there is the worst infection of all...  Canoes, kayaks, and sailboats.  Planning to build a small single kayak with my 12yo daughter and a larger double with room for my 5yo this summer, but then that will lead to the desire to build two trekker canoes and a wooden sailboat or two.  Then that leads to the need to trailer these boats, so that's a custom outdoor activities trailer and more roof rack accessories.  And we'll probably need a bike or two when we're out camping. 
wink.gif

So, I'm glad I have my headphone addiction under control and my system plan finalized and sorted...  'cause I have a lot of equipment I need to buy to build everything else! 

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #16,002 of 27,156

Quote:
I recall a while back people picking those players up for their stereo tape playback. The fad seems to have faded but short of reel 2 reel, they provide great analogue playback from tape..dB

I used my JVC stereo VHS as a 2-hour or 4-hour stereo music source for 3 years in college.  I'd record the songs I wanted from CDs and make big a$$ mix tapes.  I used Sony tapes because they held up the best and had the best sound quality.  I just got rid of the VCR earlier this year.  It finally gave up it's last magic fairy.  I came really close to grabbing a couple of DATs, but decided not to make that investment. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #16,003 of 27,156

Quote:
I still have my 1984 Sony HFR70 SuperBeta HiFi. It was a sweet-spot buy rather than a TOTL buy. But don't remind me that I sold my Technics isoloop-drive reel machine after copying all my tapes to audio-only videocassettes. Oh, the shame.

I was tempted to dub all my LPs to VHS, but never took the plunge.  Since they were already on metal cassette I just couldn't convince myself it was worth it.  About selling one of the best RTR's ever?  Town square at 3:00 for your public flogging sounds about right.  Circuit City had the JVC for advance demo only, it wasn't for sale.  It was around Thanksgiving and they weren't supposed to sell it until after the 1st or JIT for Christmas.  I had picked out a TOTL 27" (biggest tube then) TV and Panasonic video camera (corded LOL) and I told them it was all or nothin'.  They reluctantly went for it.  Then I got them to knock $50 off the deal because they lost the box.
wink_face.gif

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #16,004 of 27,156
Happy ending: I got another RS-1500, back around the time I started this thread. Many of my tapes were Ampex 406 and 456-- tape geeks instinctively know what this means and will gasp and stagger backwards. But many were not. It's nice to have Rod Coneybeare's Leo In the Wonderful Country back again.
A peek into my bike history.
A peek into my photographic history.

Dec 31, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #16,005 of 27,156

Users who are viewing this thread

Back