Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 3, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #15,751 of 27,141

Quote:
Speaking of cake, is anyone familiar with the video game Portal ?

It was a lie.

Quote:
Just bumped into this thread. Guys, I have no idea what Orthodynamic is ! Can anyone tell me ? Which is the most fun/bassy ortho can ?
Thanks

Read the first few pages of this thread and you'll see.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #15,753 of 27,141

Quote:
Just bumped into this thread. Guys, I have no idea what Orthodynamic is ! Can anyone tell me ? Which is the most fun/bassy ortho can ?
Thanks

Don't take this the wrong way--it's definitely worth checking out orthos--but if you're looking for fun and bassy, you might do a lot of searching to find an ortho that you are satisfied with.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #15,754 of 27,141
Eric, 

If I were to need just two short sections of 4" brass tube with the tooling you mention, I think I'd just go with a brand new hack saw blade and a sharp file.  If it was very thin I'd pound it through a block of styrofoam to fill it to control chattering when filing it.  I think buil;ding jigs for any of the other tools you mention to get an off the tool clean edge would take more time than it would be worth.  

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #15,755 of 27,141

Quote:
Eric, 

If I were to need just two short sections of 4" brass tube with the tooling you mention, I think I'd just go with a brand new hack saw blade and a sharp file.  If it was very thin I'd pound it through a block of styrofoam to fill it to control chattering when filing it.  I think buil;ding jigs for any of the other tools you mention to get an off the tool clean edge would take more time than it would be worth.  

Well, the first idea i had was to attach a hack saw bade to a stick of wood such that it sticks out from the wood a few mm, clamp that to a table, hold short length of tube in hand, and twist.

But that'll only get me a good slice if i start with something squarely cut.

As for getting it square, a friend suggested i might use the table saw to cut a puck or three of MDF to just barely fit inside the tube (so as to hold it round) (and cutting the OD of a circle on the table saw is Easy), then clamp the tube into the reasonably good miter box (the metal kind that comes with an attached saw) and saw it straight. Though he also suggested that i might need some square pieces of MDF with a 4" hole in them to hold the OD of the tube.

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #15,756 of 27,141

Quote:
haha...i caught that jibe at kabeer too..lol

Well i really need to buckle down and get this TP done this weekend..been so goddamn busy ...its hard getting used to a 8 to 5 job when the past year and half has been dedicated to being a slob and going to sleep at 3 or 5 in the morning..blah..the money is worth it though :)

Nah, you should only work on eXStatAs this weekend...  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #15,757 of 27,141
haven't received the parts yet..also got to look for a place of my own to move in to by the next couple of weeks..so gonna be busy cruising around town looking at places.

Once parts come in, i'll get crackin on getting your exstata fixed good a new.

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #15,758 of 27,141

Quote:

Quote:
Eric, 

Well, the first idea i had was to attach a hack saw bade to a stick of wood such that it sticks out from the wood a few mm, clamp that to a table, hold short length of tube in hand, and twist.

But that'll only get me a good slice if i start with something squarely cut.

As for getting it square, a friend suggested i might use the table saw to cut a puck or three of MDF to just barely fit inside the tube (so as to hold it round) (and cutting the OD of a circle on the table saw is Easy), then clamp the tube into the reasonably good miter box (the metal kind that comes with an attached saw) and saw it straight. Though he also suggested that i might need some square pieces of MDF with a 4" hole in them to hold the OD of the tube.

Sounds like a good approach except for sacrificing a mitre saw.  A V-block would also work well to hold the tube for cutting and would be easy enough to make on the TS.

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #15,759 of 27,141

Quote:
Sounds like a good approach except for sacrificing a mitre saw.  A V-block would also work well to hold the tube for cutting and would be easy enough to make on the TS.

Thinking about it, if the cut as received isn't far from square, a tightly fitting disc of MDF would itself serve as a pretty decent guide for hand-cutting/filing it square.

And if i plan to apply a patina, the surface doesn't need to be perfect, as long as there are no big gouges that i can't just sand down and polish out before application.

Ultimately I'll probably want to give it a coat of urethane to protect the patina, I suppose. Just thinking out loud. I mean, I'm not a fan of yellow metal, and while i used to admire the steampunk aesthetic, it's been co-opted by aesthetes who have no fabrication or technical ability and just bolt some brass hardware to something and call it steampunk.

Steampunk was cool when it was about turning an antique typewriter into a fully functional computer keyboard. Wearing a brass gear as a decoration on your absurd costume is not cool.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #15,760 of 27,141

Just bumped into this thread. Guys, I have no idea what Orthodynamic is ! Can anyone tell me ?

It's a secret sect, they'll make you sell your dynamic phones in order to please the ortho gods...leave while you still can.

BTW, why don't the dynamic folks work on damping much? I mean some folks even create metallic reflections on purpose 
confused_face_2.gif

I created a thread about it in the science forum, in case anyone'd want to share his thoughts on that matter: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/524572/

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #15,761 of 27,141
I just bought a HP-1 for $14 including shipping. They will arrive in two days. I am just curious how will they hold against the K240 Sextett. What do you think?

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #15,762 of 27,141
My damped T50RPs arrived today. The guy before me put some blu tack and felt in them as per this thread. They sound really good, straight out of my DAPs and even better out of my receiver. I can hear all the details of the music as a cohesive whole, and the imaging is impressive, with some sounds seeming to come from outside my head. I put on a trance track from Armin Van Buuren and had a ton of fun. I broke into a grin at the breakdown and chorus it was so much fun!

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #15,763 of 27,141

Quote:
I just bought a HP-1 for $14 including shipping. They will arrive in two days. I am just curious how will they hold against the K240 Sextett. What do you think?

Properly damped, they will probably dance circles around them.  Great deal, incidentally.

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #15,764 of 27,141

Quote:
Quote:

Properly damped, they will probably dance circles around them.  Great deal, incidentally.

Depending on which inflation calculator you use you're about $900 ahead. :)  Sweet.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #15,765 of 27,141

Quote:
My damped T50RPs arrived today. The guy before me put some blu tack and felt in them as per this thread. They sound really good, straight out of my DAPs and even better out of my receiver. I can hear all the details of the music as a cohesive whole, and the imaging is impressive, with some sounds seeming to come from outside my head. I put on a trance track from Armin Van Buuren and had a ton of fun. I broke into a grin at the breakdown and chorus it was so much fun!

Another one bites the dust!  Welcome to the Ortho cult.  

I'm really looking at the HE-4's.  Has anyone heard them yet?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back