Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 4, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #13,516 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys I need a bit of help locating earpads. I need an earpad with an approx 50mm diameter hole. Outer diameter can be anything really, 100mm would be ideal.
The pad should seal well.
Something basically like a giant Stax SR-X pad would be great.
Yup you guess it its for a vintage T50 (well NAD to be precise).
If you know anything that fits the bill please do say.

just found this one, but not in rounded shape. :-\

Ebay - Replacement earpad For Sony MDR-V600 V900 earpads Brown

BBZ.jpg

found this one too, STAX SR-007 OMEGA II BROWN
but the price was toooo crazziiiee....

Ebay - STAX Replacement Earpad for SR-007 OMEGA II BROWN

...no pic...

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #13,519 of 27,171
Am going to find out about cloning O2 pads while am back home in India. I know a place that does leather work. Going to try and find some info out by the end of the week and will report back. I have some O2 pads with me so I should be able to explain clearly what I want. kabs I have a pair of Yh-100 pads, don't know if they will do the job for you..i doubt it..but just saying :p

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #13,521 of 27,171
Couple quick questions: Has anyone tried making new magnets for their Orthos? I realize that neodymium is EXTREMELY brittle, but would you be able to dremmel through one, as well as it's nickel coating, without breaking it? Or, would two ring magnets be almost as good?

Further, do the Fostex v1/v2 generation use Neodymium magnets or something else?

Assuming it is worth trying, does anyone know the thickness of the magnets used in some of the popular brands?

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #13,522 of 27,171
No one to my knowledge has tried constructing a diy magnet structure, although some have tried supplementing the existing magnets with add-ons.

Most rare-earth magnets are brittle and hard. I wouldn't want to be the one to machine them, but there are fearless CNCers out there. If you go at one with a Dremel, let us know what happens.

The current Mk II crop of Fosteces and of course the socalled neo-orthos (the Audeze LCD-2 and the HifiMan HE-5) are the only orthos to use modern magnets. So far.

As for thickness, you'll want to use the thinnest magnet that will give you the flux density you need for the efficiency you need.

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #13,523 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am going to find out about cloning O2 pads while am back home in India. I know a place that does leather work. Going to try and find some info out by the end of the week and will report back. I have some O2 pads with me so I should be able to explain clearly what I want. kabs I have a pair of Yh-100 pads, don't know if they will do the job for you..i doubt it..but just saying :p

been a while since my last visit to head-fi and sachu's already back now. nice to have you again sachu
biggrin.gif

btw, your ex-ortho definitely rocks!! i'm planning on building a gainclone to amplify this monster cans..
popcorn.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #13,527 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a set of neo ring magnets which would probably do a decent job but I doubt I'll ever get around to trying them.

Anyway, another TP is born

dsc8381.jpg

Brown Ebony this time

DAMMMMM thats a nice gold metal sponge thingy!
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #13,528 of 27,171
Good lord! I posted back in 2007 on this thread when I found a pair of YH-2's for $2 - and the thread had been dormant for almost a year at that point. How on earth have there been 900 pages of discussion on orthodynamic headphones since then?
icon10.gif

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back