Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 19, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #9,496 of 27,185
boilermakerfan: dont buy RCA's, I don't like how the ones at VT4C are brass with plated whatever. I'm going to purchase an @$$load of Eichmann Copper Bullets.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #9,497 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
boilermakerfan: dont buy RCA's, I don't like how the ones at VT4C are brass with plated whatever. I'm going to purchase an @$$load of Eichmann Copper Bullets.

I might be interested in 2 pairs depending on the price..Pm me about it ryan..

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #9,498 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, i'm so jealous now...
tongue.gif

what headband is that ? ATH or Sony ?
confused.gif

The adjusters on the sides for the strap are dead giveaways that it's an AT frame.

An old one. But they still sell headphones with a similar mechanism.

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #9,499 of 27,185
Not earth-shaking news but another demonstration that Yamaha's Orthodynamics underwent production changes: Tonight, at the same timewarp audio/record store that sold me the Sony TAN-8550 amp, I spotted a well-worn HP-2. The stiffening strips for the leather headstrap were loose (making it obvious they're held on with doublesticky tape!) and there were the usual signs of Ortho wear due to age, but after doing a double take and squinting very hard, I noticed that the holes in this HP-2's magnets were square, almost as depicted in the HP-1a/HP-2 and YH line brochures. The only difference was that this HP-2's holes, though square, weren't flared or rounded:

YH-1driverwithsquareholes.jpg

Negotiations to buy this HP-2 from the shop's owner are ongoing.

Has anyone else ever spotted a Yamaha Ortho with square holes?

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #9,500 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
ATH3 ..dB

Oh, i c...thx db...
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The adjusters on the sides for the strap are dead giveaways that it's an AT frame.

An old one. But they still sell headphones with a similar mechanism.

oh, like what ? any example ? haven't see modern ATH had those headband tough...
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #9,501 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not earth-shaking news

How about the sound? Did you try it there in the store?

Speaking of drivers, I've just looked at a picture of the DK830 driver (not mine). In this one, just like the Grundig, one foam piece had turned into sticky goo that got stickied on the diaphragm. (not the same driver as the Grundig, though). Something to consider before going for a Dual.

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #9,502 of 27,185
My newest damping scheme on the YH-100..

img1524zvd.jpg

img1527d.jpg

Not fully happy with it just yet..But it is sounding lot better..I just feel that the bass could get a bit better..It could use a bit more damping on the mids..planning on doubling up the thickness of the rings for the next iteration..
It has great details though.

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #9,503 of 27,185
I have a feeling a layer of memory foam after the felt would do just that. So I'm sending you some in the mail seeing as I forgot to put the mem foam in the last thing I sent you hehe.

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #9,504 of 27,185
Quote:

I have a feeling a layer of memory foam after the felt would do just that. So I'm sending you some in the mail seeing as I forgot to put the mem foam in the last thing I sent you hehe.

merci beaucoup rick..hah..got it right this time
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #9,506 of 27,185
Quote:

Hahahahahahahaha

check out my profile picture lol, sure as hell fooled me :p

heheh...nice one...
so this memory foam that you are sending me..what thickness is it?..
Are you suggesting I place a puck of the foam in the middle of the rings?

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #9,507 of 27,185
Thats how I have mine dampened, microfiber (glasses cleaning) cloth directly up against the driver with bitumen ring around the perimeter of the rear magnet (holding the microfiber cloth in place as well), 3M micropore tape as reflex dot, then thick matted felt from don (which is prolly from smeggy), and then 1/8 inch thick memory foam pressed between the air vent and the thick felt (same size as the felt) and bitumen surrounding all that.

mind you thats an SFI not a yh-100, but the memory foam made ALL the difference, anytime I took it out I regretted it.

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #9,508 of 27,185
Quote:

Thats how I have mine dampened, microfiber (glasses cleaning) cloth directly up against the driver with bitumen ring around the perimeter of the rear magnet (holding the microfiber cloth in place as well), 3M micropore tape as reflex dot, then thick matted felt from don (which is prolly from smeggy), and then 1/8 inch thick memory foam pressed between the air vent and the thick felt (same size as the felt) and bitumen surrounding all that.

mind you thats an SFI not a yh-100, but the memory foam made ALL the difference, anytime I took it out I regretted it.

yeah, I am going to give the double layer of felt a try tomorrow just to see if my hunch was right or not..and probably stuff the center with some cotton..

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #9,509 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
ATH3 ..dB

Don

What is the outside diameter of those Smeggy pucks on the ATH3 hanger?

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #9,510 of 27,185
Can anyone comment on the comfort of the Fostex T50rp with the new pads? I have the T20v2, and really like the pillowy supra aural feel of them. The T50rp looks more circumaural, though, and might not feel as good to my aurally enhanced (i.e., large) ears, especially since as I understand it the new pads are shallower than the old ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back