Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 25, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #5,986 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of Stax boxs do not give it any issues and sound really good, so I don''t think it's marginally stable.

I am also not sure if chip has a build in protection. If Sony box is like AT it would be said as I like MP5 as my PC amp
frown.gif

It is mostly likely a load issue but I though that Stax box as well as AT box is a standard 8 Ohm load. What do you think AT box does that Stax box does not? My MOSFET amp has no problem with any of the boxes and even drives my "watch me dip to 1 Ohm" ribbon speakers so I was not surpriced to see it handle AT box with ease. It seems that AT box needs at least 10W to sound good, MP5 is like 14W and my MOSFET amp is 25W in class A. Maybe it's dips low and thus makes the STI TDA7265 power chip shutdown temporarily? The data-sheet talk about some kind of mute attenuation, what is that feature?

I will try different cable tonight. I was using rather thick speaker cables....but I bet it will not change much.

What small amps would work well with Stax, AT and ECR boxes? Will this amp push them? It seems that it can be used as stand alone amp with 25WPC.

Not knowing anything about it except what's in the auction, I'd say it probably works just fine.

My Rotel RA-820BX hasn't shied away from anything I've hooked up to it, and it's equally lowly. The ECR-500 does sound livelier on my (still dead, again) akai power amp, though.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #5,987 of 27,137
F2D: That's the thing. I've never had trouble, so if you'd asked me if there was a zobel network inside the Stax box, I would've said "Whuh? Don't know, don't care." or something. But who knows, maybe there is, and A-T didn't see fit to include such a thing. Or something.

Might be worth bunging one in.

No transformer box will ever be just plain 8 ohms resistive. Stats drop their impedance in the treble too. But unlike the Apogees, this is a reactive load.

The little Yamaha amp is only rated down to 6 ohms. It'll probably be okay. It's certainly cheap enough...

I don't think it was the speaker cables either. Let us know what you find out.

Ericj, wasn't the Akai one of those amps with a Paranoid Protection Processor?

Hey, there's no chance that Yamaha amp uses a TDA 7265, is there? I wonder....

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #5,988 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not what I would've expected, certainly. If anything, I would have expected it to increase. Disturbed something in the cup when you desoldered the old cable and put on the new one? Bad solder joint? Loose strand of wire brushing against another wire/lug? Small child turned the bass down when you weren't looking? Crumb of biscotti in the eustachian tube?

I fear your last guess might be right: just did a quick A/B against the HP-3, and the YH-100 have more of everything, and about the same deep bass or maybe a touch more. Don't really know what I heard after the recable, must be either the crumbs or the solder fumes or both. Or cable burnin...

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #5,990 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the thing. I've never had trouble, so if you'd asked me if there was a zobel network inside the Stax box, I would've said "Whuh? Don't know, don't care." or something. But who knows, maybe there is, and A-T didn't see fit to include such a thing. Or something.

I don't think it was the speaker cables either. Let us know what you find out.

The SRD-7 has a 27-ohm resistor in parallel with the transformer primary, and a PTH protection device in series with it. Which is a thermistor with a positive and highly nonlinear thermal coefficient (as it heats up, it's resistance increases dramatically. In normal use, it shouldn't heat up.)

That could be enough.

Internal pics of the TK33 box could help us understand, too.

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #5,991 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SRD-7 has a 27-ohm resistor in parallel with the transformer primary, and a PTH protection device in series with it. Which is a thermistor with a positive and highly nonlinear thermal coefficient (as it heats up, it's resistance increases dramatically. In normal use, it shouldn't heat up.)

That could be enough.

Internal pics of the TK33 box could help us understand, too.

Here are some pics of TK33 box

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #5,992 of 27,137
There's an ortho sold on that auction site. I've been PM'd by a headfier who was selling these but his price was over my budget. He was kind enough to inform me but I have no US account!

What I want to beg for is: Could anyone help me snipe the headphones?
In case I send him the money by paypal beforehand before the auction ends?
In case I pay for the postage within 30 hours?

If you're willing to be kind enough and snatch these for me, I'd pay $57.32 for them without shipping at most (not a magic number, just an attempt to add some randomness in the sniping, I'd normally pay 2.32 dollars less but $2.32 doesn't matter.)
I'd send you the money by paypal now, asap.
You could ask the seller to ship to Europe (I'll give you all the arguments, yes, it's secure and cheap enough for me) which I'll pay myself completely at last within 30 hours.

You could receive the headphones yourself and use them for 3-5 months until you get tired of them.
Otherwise there's still my friend from TX I could ship to.
Altogether I can afford to spend $85 along with shipping and a few dollars you could keep.

I'm not joking, KEEP them for half a year and even mod them (reversible mods only please) in spite of paying for it all myself.

Any offers? The clock is ticking!

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #5,993 of 27,137
Should I withdraw the message? I really have no idea. I can't think clearly staying awake past bedtime because the headache doesn't let me sleep. I've got a flu. The thing I know is that I've wanted that model for over a month. No, it's not anything especially rare.

EDIT: I don't even know if it's fair to post a link here.
I've been given it from a person selling the same model here on head-fi but I opened the PM when the auction was to end within 5 hours.
I'm not associated with the seller _of course_ and have no interest for the price to rise up to almost 100 dollars. However it would be better if an orthohead keen to mod got these.

Won't someone at least reply if I should post a link here? I'm down since some hooligans attacked me on the street on friday two weeks ago (Nope, I didn't even look them and I'm not a punk or emo or whatever kind of person they'd choose to attack). Not scared just utterly disgusted with this world. So disgusted I've chosen to have no attitude to anything. Post here someone if you want to know the auction link...

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #5,994 of 27,137
I've been watching those too, and YH-3 just went for 113. Not sure what model you're talking about, but I don't think that's gonna cut it.
An HP-2 is opening bid $85.
I have my eye on one in particular, but know already it's gonna go for (guessing) $100 MORE than I'm willing to max bid, and that's with some pocket cash to burn.
I started looking at these as some affordable options, to a real upgrade (or sidegrade). Doesn't look like it's gonna happen

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #5,995 of 27,137
Forgot to ask what models and what auction site, I was guessing ebay. And as much as I hate drawing attention to these auctions I plan on bidding on, I'm sure anyone reading this post is already trying to snatch them as well.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #5,998 of 27,137
Ah thank you all. I've just cleared my PM box. It seems like Scompton will try to snipe Those. I have to say Those are some quite common orthos they're still for sale on head-fi forum so you shouldn't regret not bidding up the price. I'm thinking about sending those for a tour.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #5,999 of 27,137
It's not an YH-3. Neither it's a HP-2.
I'll probably send them for a tour among the members once won. My bid on those is supposed to be a bit over what most of you would bid on them (yet 2/3 of what I've been asked for here in a certain FS listing).

I see that this thread is a beast I've been just watching but never tried to get involved with, I've underestimated all the enthusiasm!
I've got a couple of thoughts on damping I'll express once I get some sleep and maybe a little coffee and some painkillers. Otherwise I'll probably edit a post every 5 minutes.

My laptop crashed (AC cable got unplugged and the battery wasn't in) when I had a tab with a great russian e-shop open.
I'll now have to dig it in the firefox history (which will take me a minute to open only since it hasn't been wiped for half a year).

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #6,000 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jokes aside (mine was not a serious comment after all), I don't dispute their market value. I'm just trying to convince myself that a lathe might not be only another fun way to "waste" huge amounts of time and smaller amounts of money. Even though I know perfectly well that I would probably follow in Smeggy's footsteps...

Nope. I don't have access to any equipment that is not mine, and I only have an ancient drill, a 5 euro solder iron, and the usual assortment of screwdrivers etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually the Chocolate Donuts, Strawberry Donuts and Chocolate Donut MkII were all made before I owned my lathe. They are perfectly round, as a good caliper would confirm, but I managed this on the table saw with a special jig I designed.

It's really quite simple, and anyone wanting to know more can PM for the design and instructions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swt61, I think you overdamped the Donuts
smily_headphones1.gif

Possibly, I do remember voicing them on my dual Darkvoice Monoblocks and loving the sound. I tweaked for quite a while until I got to the best sound IMO. But this was with pretty lush (and pretty expensive)Tung-Sol tubes, so I'm sure that other tubes and amps will change their character to a degree.

I did make them easy to open and tweak, so the best thing is to voice them to your own system IMO, and it's quite easy.

My MkIIs are voiced from my Beta22 and it would be interesting to compare the two.

The funny thing is I reach for the Donuts when I just want to relax and enjoy the music, although I do agree they're quite detailed.

I'd love for an Orthonian to purchase them so we could play with the damping and compare them to my MkII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back