Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 25, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #5,956 of 27,156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are AT's, Signet TK33 = ATH-8
biggrin.gif
Signaet was U S market luxury brand.
tongue.gif
And I guess they reasoned that no one needs bass below 60Hz....
jecklinsmile.gif

My education has a long way to go
wink.gif
. I recognised the cup/harness configuration but hadn't realised that they were the same company.

Who needs 60Hz anyway
confused_face(1).gif
- you live in Brooklyn, those jackhammers are always pumping and provide all the low bass you ever need
biggrin.gif

..dB

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #5,957 of 27,156
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My education has a long way to go
wink.gif
. I recognised the cup/harness configuration but hadn't realised that they were the same company.

Who needs 60Hz anyway
confused_face(1).gif
- you live in Brooklyn, those jackhammers are always pumping and provide all the low bass you ever need
biggrin.gif

..dB

I am trying to keep all of the collectively collected knowledge in this wiki thing. Hopefully whenever someone has a question they will find it a good place to go for the information related to headphones
redface.gif
Like Signet info is there. Unfortunately the information seems very difficult to find and systematize in a coherent easy to use way.

My part of Brooklyn is sleepy and quite
wink.gif
too sleepy and quite for my liking
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #5,958 of 27,156
But that makes it perfect for speakers and headphones. Nothing messes with your ear-brain like the almost-subliminal low-frequency rumble of a big city. Sleepy and quiet is exactly what you want when you're struggling to hear a TK33 strain for that 60Hz.

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #5,960 of 27,156
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that makes it perfect for speakers and headphones. Nothing messes with your ear-brain like the almost-subliminal low-frequency rumble of a big city. Sleepy and quiet is exactly what you want when you're struggling to hear a TK33 strain for that 60Hz.

Yeah, quite is nice, but sleepy not so nice.

I still don't get why MP5 was perfectly fine with PMB500 box, SRD-6, SRD-7SB, and SRD-7 but is having issues with Signet TK33 box at any sensitivity level. Dared MP-5 is using STI TDA7265 chip power amp in a gainclone like configuration with tube preamp section. With TK33 box it start fine works for few minutes than just cuts out for a second and starts playing for few minutes and than cuts out again for few seconds etc, very strange. Anyone has any ideas?

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #5,962 of 27,156
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...e-pics-384601/

If these go for anywhere near the asking price, I guess it's time to get myself a lathe.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good woodwork isn't cheap
wink.gif

For that matter, neither is good cable, or genuine leather pads...

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #5,964 of 27,156
Skylab, before those go out of your life, please tell us again what it was like to own them, paying especial attention to the quality of sound and not forgetting an evaluation of the headstage.

Ludo, have you by any chance access to vacuum-forming equipment? For example, plastic signage?

Dmitriy, I honestly have no idea why your Dared amp can't handle the A-T box.

I've never had any trouble driving any transformer box and did several extended tests with that very box on my Pannersonik digital receiver before sending it off to you, so I'm scratching my head too.

Some amps have very picky and paranoid protection circuits; just ask ericj. This is a chip amp-- what's its rated ability to deal with low impedances? What's the rated bandwidth?

I hope some of the amp mavens will have a clue. Help us, Eric J, you're our only hope! Help us, Eric J, you're... [click]

Have you ever tried any other A-T boxen, eg the ATH-7?

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #5,965 of 27,156
My only suggestion wrt the Dared MP5 vs. the Signet is that maybe a zobel network will help. But i don't know what values it needs to have.

I might try other crazy stuff, like a series 1-ohm resistor. But i don't really know.

My impression is that it doesn't know what to do about the reactive load it's seeing.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #5,966 of 27,156
Quote:

Skylab, before those go out of your life, please tell us again what it was like to own them, paying especial attention to the quality of sound and not forgetting an evaluation of the headstage.

The Donuts sound like no other headphone I own. In a way they are superior to every other headphone I own. And in a way, I like them less than any other high-end headphone I own. Allow me to explain...

The Donuts are definitely headphones for the detail freak. Every single nuance in the music is audible. Image specificity is the best of any headphone I have heard, even though soundstage width and depth are merely very good. Bass depth and definition are also exceptional.

BUT: try as I might, I could never warm to their spectral balance. For me they make a great microscope to LOOK at the music, but not a great conduit to actually relax and enjoy it. They are the anti- JVC DX-1000 in this way. The JVC's are very good technically but not perfect, however, the music flows from them in an incredibly realistic way. The Donuts lay the music in front of you in great detail, but somewhat at the expense of the experience.

I think what makes me a tube amp lover is the same thing that makes me less than in love with the Donuts. Understand, I actually really LIKE them, and there is a way that listening to them is thrilling. But for me the thrill never lasts, and I always prefer the JVC's.

Part of it may simply be this - the JVC DX1000 are the perfect headphone for ME.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #5,968 of 27,156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good woodwork isn't cheap
wink.gif

For that matter, neither is good cable, or genuine leather pads...

Jokes aside (mine was not a serious comment after all), I don't dispute their market value. I'm just trying to convince myself that a lathe might not be only another fun way to "waste" huge amounts of time and smaller amounts of money. Even though I know perfectly well that I would probably follow in Smeggy's footsteps...

Quote:

Ludo, have you by any chance access to vacuum-forming equipment? For example, plastic signage?

Nope. I don't have access to any equipment that is not mine, and I only have an ancient drill, a 5 euro solder iron, and the usual assortment of screwdrivers etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #5,969 of 27,156
Can't argue with that, skylab. I have 'stats, K1000s, electrets, all very good quality and outstanding in their own ways but I still gravitate to my more mellow sounding phones a lot of the time because the music tends to flow better for a long day and they don't jump out at you. I'm still very picky about my personal flavor of mellow but I fully understand where you're coming from.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #5,970 of 27,156
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jokes aside (mine was not a serious comment after all), I don't dispute their market value. I'm just trying to convince myself that a lathe might not be only another fun way to "waste" huge amounts of time and smaller amounts of money. Even though I know perfectly well that I would probably follow in Smeggy's footsteps...

Right, I understand. I truly wish that I was good at woodworking - the fun I could have, and the money I would save...
biggrin.gif

I'm not really sure what the "right" price for the Donuts is, but I like them so much that I won't sell them for less, so if they do not sell for my asking price I will just keep them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back