Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 1, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #25,816 of 27,146
Yeah, when in doubt; shoot the manufacturer an email.

I'm surprised there would driver flex even with a huge opening on the back. I don't think I've experienced that at all on any open headphone. Maybe just on some dynamic IEMs.

Ya I didn't think it would happen either. It may be due to the fact it's a single sided magnet setup. I can't remember where I got the idea from, it was either he500 or he6 thread, but it happened when I would put any pressure towards my head or pull them off too quickly. It was supposed to increase sub bass response I believe, wasn't worth it any way.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #25,817 of 27,146
Ya I didn't think it would happen either. It may be due to the fact it's a single sided magnet setup. I can't remember where I got the idea from, it was either he500 or he6 thread, but it happened when I would put any pressure towards my head or pull them off too quickly. It was supposed to increase sub bass response I believe, wasn't worth it any way.
What exactly happened? What did you hear. I did hear a crinkling sound, but I thought it was the ear pad.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #25,818 of 27,146
Gday boys, got a new toy to show off. Copped some Aiwa HP500's for pretty cheap recently, and I got some low quality phone pics of em, and an "interesting" opinion about them. Unfortunately no tear-down as I'm probably going to be selling them soon.
Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/l9f3C
Also got some tasty flatplate measurements below. They represent how they sound quite well, though the big canyon isnt nearly as bad as it looks. Just REW doing its thing with phasing as usual.
The midrange distortion is obviously quite nasty, and I've had conflicting information on if it can be fixed via modding. The upper midrange recession isnt great either though as sad not as bad as it looks, and they're surprisingly fatiguing. On the upside, these bump really hard. These are pretty much sound like what Audeze's would be if they actually slammed. Unfortunately these still fall apart at high volumes much like many Audeze headphones. If they weren't as fatiguing and the upper midrange wasn't so missing, I might keep these as my lofi casual cans to just enjoy some phat songs with, but the pads being so squashed means that they're really not comfortable for long usage. Also, they don't extend quite enough so if I put thicker [read "comfier"] pads on, they still wouldn't be the most comfy. Otherwise these are built really nice, although not light. The headband design really is quite nicely done for the time. Super solid feeling They're also quite nice looking too in my opinion.
Here's the measurements:
Aiwa_HP500.png
Aiwa_HP500_THD_R.png
Aiwa_HP500_THD_L.png

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #25,819 of 27,146
Gday boys, got a new toy to show off. Copped some Aiwa HP500's for pretty cheap recently, and I got some low quality phone pics of em, and an "interesting" opinion about them.
Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/l9f3C
Also got some tasty flatplate measurements below. They represent how they sound quite well, though the big canyon isnt nearly as bad as it looks. Just REW doing its thing with phasing as usual.
The midrange distortion is obviously quite nasty, and I've had conflicting information on if it can be fixed via modding. The upper midrange recession isnt great either though as sad not as bad as it looks, and they're surprisingly fatiguing. On the upside, these bump really hard. These are pretty much sound like what Audeze's would be if they actually slammed. Unfortunately these still fall apart at high volumes much like many Audeze headphones. If they weren't as fatiguing and the upper midrange wasn't so missing, I might keep these as my lofi casual cans to just enjoy some phat songs with, but the pads being so squashed means that they're really not comfortable for long usage. Also, they don't extend quite enough so if I put thicker [read "comfier"] pads on, they still wouldn't be the most comfy. Otherwise these are built really nice, although not light. The headband design really is quite nicely done for the time. Super solid feeling They're also quite nice looking too in my opinion.
Here's the measurements:

Holy crap! Where did you get them if you don't mind me asking?

Also, if and whenever you decide you don't want them anymore, I may want to take them off your hands :D

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #25,820 of 27,146
Holy crap! Where did you get them if you don't mind me asking?

Also, if you didn't want them, I'll may want to take them off your hands :D

eBay. I'm scared to say what I got them for, because I know half this thread would die inside.
I've already got a friend interested in purchasing them so far. Unless you're prepared to be offering a pretty big sum, I'll probably stick with him since he asked first and he's a chill dude.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #25,821 of 27,146
eBay. I'm scared to say what I got them for, because I know half this thread would die inside.
I've already got a friend interested in purchasing them so far. Unless you're prepared to be offering a pretty big sum, I'll probably stick with him since he asked first and he's a chill dude.

Ah, it's fair. I'll just keep on hunting haha.

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #25,822 of 27,146
Hmm, have there been reported cases of this happening? I don't think there should be any problem though I haven't read into any of the LCD threads as to whether there may be a flaw in their design.

My 40 year old planars are still going strong. Sometimes I fall asleep with them playing and no problems at all on my end.

I think the others in this thread might be able to give a more technical explanation.

I have a set of LCD-XC and they are remarkably open for a closed planar set - compared to the Audeze EL-8 I had before them the isolation is almost non existent. I don't know where the sound comes from exactly - but the difference between the LCD-X and the LCD-XC is negligible in some ways - the driver fazer setup pushes through that. They sound very familiar. The soundstage is only slightly more inside the head. I tested LCD-2, HE-1000 and the new 2-Classics from Audeze and others on the night and feel my LCD-XC are like front row punchers. The HE-1000 was relaxed and natural.

All of these sets differ from my original EL-8 Closed - the EL-8 Closed had sound cancelling level isolation. The LCD-XC is almost non-existent when it comes to noise cancellation by the headphones alone.

It could be the pads, or is it some other reason, i.e. Ports as discussed?

Apr 8, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #25,824 of 27,146
Thinking about selling my T30. What's a fair price nowadays for one missing one of the side badges? $200 too high?
black or silver yoke? that's seems fair, maybe if you want more you could try to auction it. a lot of flippers out there :D

Apr 8, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #25,825 of 27,146
Thinking about selling my T30. What's a fair price nowadays for one missing one of the side badges? $200 too high?

Depends on who you talk to. Last time we talked about pricing on the T30 this happened:

team ortho.jpg

Credits to @GREQ

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #25,828 of 27,146

Audiotronic AHP66 - Clone of Elega FR-901C

AKA ASE-50 / Victor D70

LEFT - The diaphragm RIGHT - Diaphragm compared to ASE-40 driver

Stock damping has thick fibrous paper behind the grill

LEFT - Very pretty grill - RIGHT - Paper damping ring already removed (and safely stored away) - Same paper ring as ASE-50

Obligatory mugshot:

And my avatar of the past few months
cool.gif

I got a pair of these too. Really impressed and wondering how your edits have helped or changed the sound signature at all?

Attachments

• 2018-03-29 20.09.39.jpg
    2018-03-29 20.09.39.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #25,829 of 27,146
I got a pair of these too. Really impressed and wondering how your edits have helped or changed the sound signature at all?

The paper is too thick as a damping material, but I think primarily it was installed as a dust shield.
Removing it does bring out a bit of treble extension making it sound airier.

The best kind of mod you can do (not pictured) is get a better set of ear pads. Something around 90mm should fit, but you might have to stick it on with double sided tape.
There really isn't any room in there for anything more than a few masking layers or a single thin layer of felt etc.
Sorbothane cup damping made no audible difference, probably since there's hardly any room in the cups for resonances.
I don't have mine any more, so I can't give you any more information than that.

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #25,830 of 27,146
The paper is too thick as a damping material, but I think primarily it was installed as a dust shield.
Removing it does bring out a bit of treble extension making it sound airier.

The best kind of mod you can do (not pictured) is get a better set of ear pads. Something around 90mm should fit, but you might have to stick it on with double sided tape.
There really isn't any room in there for anything more than a few masking layers or a single thin layer of felt etc.
Sorbothane cup damping made no audible difference, probably since there's hardly any room in the cups for resonances.
I don't have mine any more, so I can't give you any more information than that.

Thanks for your reply. I was genuinely surprised at how good these were out of the box compared to some other alternative driver methods and learning more about that now. Specifically the cheaper electret style ones lacking bass response due to inability to flex and move air. These were a good find for sure. Sit proudly next to my Audeze LXD-XC and due to being on ear have a slightly more open sound. But boomy and a little nasal as per ASE-50 comments.

The cloning pair of phones I researched but did not come up with much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back