Orthodynamic Roundup
May 17, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #24,797 of 27,167
I know the brand I think, I've seen a couple of generic looking Ross headphones. I'd expect these aren't orthodynamic, just because I haven't seen many CD era orthos. But the headband reminds me of my Audio technica ATH-1. I suggest you crack em open and see what's going on in there. Take pictures if you do!
I have just bought today in ebay, I for sure will check what they looks like. At first I was myself doubtful they were
ortho but the description in the box clearly specify mylar

May 18, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #24,799 of 27,167
"kopfhörer für kompaktdisks" (head-listener for CDs) is one of the big giveaways here - I don't think anyone would have OEM'd an insensitive ortho driver for portable CD players.
It's not a 'sure thing' but also very few old planars were rated over 100dB/mW

May 21, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #24,802 of 27,167
What you guys think about the magnets themselves? I haven't found any good options for spiral type voice coils. It's possible to contract a company to create custom pressed neodymium magnets, but it costs like 500 to consult them.
confused_face.gif

Do you think an arrangement of circular magnets in a "honeycomb" structure could work? The voice coil would probably be less spiral and more like a hexagon or octogon shape.

Someone posted this link about magnet, they talk about a company printing astonishing magnet!

I can imagine a metal plate with plenty of holes (like a ortho driver) sent to this cie and they will be able
to print the magnet covered with north-south cell (what would be the price...)

May 21, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #24,803 of 27,167
Thanks for sharing that video! There can certainly be potential for creating stronger magnetic fields for orthos, though I don't see it happening in the immediate future just yet (maybe in a few years). Actually, I think the greater advantage is not in the magnetic field strength but being able to create more optimized trace layouts from a vibrational/flexible plate model and creating the magnet structures to match.

Early fostex orthos basically just sandwiched two large disk magnets with the poles facing each other so they'd bounce away if you didn't clamp them down. The field lines would get smooshed then radiate outwards and the spiral traces ran perpendicular to those magnetic lines to generate the proper axial forces. Current magnet configs have alternating rows of N/S so the field traces are more confined (they don't really have to loop around; they just need to find the next nearest magnet) and you have more flexibilty with layout. The limitation here is the working size of the little magnets themselves. Taking away that limitation and being able to work with finer and more complex layouts... now that's exciting stuff.

May 25, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #24,807 of 27,167
have you ask the seller?

May 25, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #24,809 of 27,167
Why is there only 1 item for sale.
Are they saying repair some other one with that? I bet it matches up just great with an HP-1/100 :)
Makes no sense. Nor the cost.
Power specs sure look like it's a speaker driver.

May 25, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #24,810 of 27,167
Uh yeah. 5 watt nominal handling and no size specified. Good luck with that in a headphone.
shouldn't be a problem if u ask the seller or if u have any interest to buying that drivers anyway. i think people going to have few conversation before making any purchase especially if they have no idea who they are dealing with

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back