Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 3, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #24,631 of 27,161
Don't think the Pro-30 ever got a conclusive improvement through mods. The integrated damper right on the driver and tight housing seemed to get pretty good performance out of them. I'd think a bit of sorbothane and little more felt behind the driver might tune the thing a wee bit to taste, but it's pretty good stock if everything is in good condition. In my mind it's the volksortho and something I'd would have loved to see a modern interpretation (or complete copy) of.

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #24,633 of 27,161
Several ways to mod pro30:
1. Remove all stock damping and use 4mm felt instead. Fill remain space (should be close to nothing) with twaron angel hair or similar stuff.
2. Change ear cushions. You can improve mids with modern ones if you are lucky. New cushions can be deeper, but should not be wider.
3. Remove protective net from the front. You will improve mids and highs, but bass will go down a bit.
But, since everything inside the driver is pressed together, removing the net may cause the driver to start losing sound. So, you will need to put in tiny chunks of paper instead.
4. Damp earcup with something that removes vibrations

At least #1 is worth doing. They are overdamped in stock. 2 if you have some cushions that may fit

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #24,634 of 27,161
Any Yamaha HP-1 owners had drivers where the magnets "wiggles/rotates"?

I recently came across my second pair of HP-1 and while cleaning and recabling them I noticed that I could gently "twist" the magnets (producing a nasty crackling sound from the membrane).
Also, the long clock-hand rod on the back have a slight room to move.
On the sides it seems that the glue has dissolved and I suspect that this is causing the issue.

Is it best to just superglue the original spots or should I try to take the driver apart and reassemble it better?

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #24,635 of 27,161
Try not to twist it any more, i have seen membranes torn away from the center pin. Use a bright light to best align the holes (gentle minimal movement) and use little clamps to hold it in place. I would not use superglue because the vapour and thin liquid could seep between the magnets. A thicker glue or even nail polish could be used but let it dry well. Opening them will only cause you more heartache. Try dab a small drop of adhesive on the arm too..dB

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #24,636 of 27,161
Try not to twist it any more, i have seen membranes torn away from the center pin. Use a bright light to best align the holes (gentle minimal movement) and use little clamps to hold it in place. I would not use superglue because the vapour and thin liquid could seep between the magnets. A thicker glue or even nail polish could be used but let it dry well. Opening them will only cause you more heartache. Try dab a small drop of adhesive on the arm too..dB

Thank you for the advice, you are a lifesaver (as usual) :)

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #24,637 of 27,161
  Don't think the Pro-30 ever got a conclusive improvement through mods. The integrated damper right on the driver and tight housing seemed to get pretty good performance out of them. I'd think a bit of sorbothane and little more felt behind the driver might tune the thing a wee bit to taste, but it's pretty good stock if everything is in good condition. In my mind it's the volksortho and something I'd would have loved to see a modern interpretation (or complete copy) of.

Nonsense. The Pro-30 sharpens up substantially with the addition of craft felt against the driver and over the back vents. Also helps to replace the single disc of foam with a ring and a circle. 

Aug 22, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #24,640 of 27,161
are there any good, velour replacement earpads suitable for Yamaha HP50a? has anybody tried to find one?

Velour will almost certainly kill the bass response.
So I highly doubt it.

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #24,642 of 27,161
Aug 25, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #24,643 of 27,161

Nonsense. The Pro-30 sharpens up substantially with the addition of craft felt against the driver and over the back vents. Also helps to replace the single disc of foam with a ring and a circle. 

Good to know. 

Can you clarify, what am I to replace the foam with? What is the difference between a ring and a circle?

I'm traveling right now. Can't take pics. However, I did order some generic pads of the Bay that had the correct outside diameter but larger inside diameter. And are thicker. Can't say the sound is bad necessarily.

The old pads literally fell apart in my hands as I tried to pull them off. Which is ok since I couldn't get the cigarette stink out of them. 

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #24,644 of 27,161
Allright,
what happened is Ive got ТДС-16 "ЭХО" made in Kiev 16Ohm model headphones FOR FREE.
I was looking for these cans for several years (as I come from ex soviet union country) and got a pair for free from somebody i knew.
The problem is these cans were layin for years in a garage, got rusty, dusty and even burned (I mean litteraly burned - not burned in lol).
https://postimg.org/image/b2eogc3zt/

I was hoping that drivers might still work as i really doubted it at the same time, because of the very poor condition of these cans.
So the band got rusted, pads are completely flat and cracked and the cans themeself got deformed by some kind of heat??
As I didnt have any opportunitys to restore them I started cracking them gently, piece by piece trying to open them while not destroying the ortho drivers.
And WHAT DO YOU KNOW! Once Ive crack-opened them those speakers shine as new :)))
I pulled of acouple of cables from my work bench checked if they are alive and VOILA the soviet frankenstein is alive :)
https://postimg.org/image/4nfnjnxa1/

Now the next thing Ive got concerned is where i can place those speakers. What housing should i look for.. Open or closed design? I love airy open phones, I love
oldschool metal, rock, punk etc stuff. I do not expect them to sound bass heavy. But cant decide on which direction to go further in this build.

I would be thankfull for any proffesional sugestions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back