Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 17, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #24,601 of 27,138
  Do you plan on fitting all those into the cups of your avatar? Or do you plan on opening a store? Or simply baiting for desperate PM offers?
tongue.gif

I'm waiting for a large set of tall planar DIY loudspeakers made with headphone drivers.... Grado style!

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #24,602 of 27,138
  http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Planar-magnetic-headphone-with-great-bass_60452908630.html
Hmmmm...

I have a pair. Looks almost as LCD-3, but not entirely. Diaphragm is a bit different. Sound seems somewhat like Audezes, however I have none to compare.
They also seem to develop other offerenings.. Expect a bunch of oem planars I guess

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #24,603 of 27,138
Drakkard, interesting that you've got a pair. Was it a sample? Any idea of costs at the listed MOQ of 500?
Any pics? (we all love pics). 

Also, of possible interest if it's not already been shared... one of the founder of Audeze is on a podcast: https://soundcloud.com/mikewalsh/alex-rosson

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #24,604 of 27,138
  Drakkard, interesting that you've got a pair. Was it a sample? Any idea of costs at the listed MOQ of 500?
Any pics? (we all love pics). 

Also, of possible interest if it's not already been shared... one of the founder of Audeze is on a podcast: https://soundcloud.com/mikewalsh/alex-rosson

Yeh, a sample. They are not cheap even for bunch order, and samples cost triple. Pics, well, I can, but it is exactly like listed there

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #24,605 of 27,138
  How can you tell if they're anisotropic?

YH-100driver-2a.jpg

That's what our YH-100 drivers look like.

..Or is it dead gray with visible milling marks, as in this photo:

YamahaHP-1.jpg

This is what our HP-1 and YH-1 drivers look like.

EDIT/UPDATE: It turns out that the HP-1 had a stepbrother, which we've called the HP-1 Anisotropic. It was spec'd just like the HP-1, and Yamaha still called it an HP-1, but the magnets had the "keeper" plates on them shown above, giving the Anisotropic model about 2dB more efficiency. The box is different too: the HP-1 box is silver with black writing; the HP-1 Anisotropic's box is black with white writing. But everything else is the same, so the only way to be sure you have the Anisotropic model is to shine a bright flashlight into the cup to check the driver's surface. We know of two HF owners of this rare variant, Komi and JadeEast. However, this doesn't answer the question of whether Yamaha "voiced" the headphone differently for different markets.

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #24,607 of 27,138
goober-george said:
Are the Yamaha hp and yh series (1,2,3) still worth modding or is it best to go straight for a fostex? I have a bunch of yamahas laying around.

It's more a simple question of which you prefer.
If you ask me, it's worth modding pretty much any headphone.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #24,608 of 27,138
Are the Yamaha hp and yh series (1,2,3) still worth modding or is it best to go straight for a fostex? I have a bunch of yamahas laying around.

YH1,2,3 or other center-pinned drivers usually only plays good with on-ear cushions. Fostex can work with over-ear.
But YH\HP-1 fully modded provide more details and finesse than Fostex imo.

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #24,613 of 27,138
  Btw, is there good and tested cable for recabling?

If you're looking for something cheap/no frills, and the headphone in question can handle a thicker cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150905&p_id=601053&seq=1&format=2

This thing is absolutely indestructible. I've used this on several headphones -- most notably my Pioneer Monitor 10-II. It is very low impedance and comes in very large lengths if you so desire. It's reasonably priced, flexible, comes with a 1/4" termination and is very well made and doesn't offend visually. I used to cut up Sennheiser HD650 cables when I wanted a basic-looking cable -- never again. This is 1/8th of the price and is constructed better.

Let me restate: This is a thick cable. It doesn't fit most things without a little modification. But what's wrong with using a little elbow grease?

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #24,615 of 27,138
Hi Guys, I made a few mistakes in my early experiences modding headphones with my Yamaha HP1 anastrophics and they are in pretty bad shape, I was wondering if anyone could recommend an easy way to put together a new headband for them as that is one of the main things I did that needs fixing as the replacement someone made for me is not rigid enough...
I listen to my fostex T10s a lot and to me they sound better than the HP 1s but I have a good memory of how they sounded when I first got them but I have had a few headphones since then....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back