Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 9, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #24,077 of 27,156
I agree on damping, I donot use damping with PMB driver. I measured the PMB drivers and they do roll off from 100hz down.

I have not measured mine, but avoiding even the tiniest distance between driver and ear did a lot to boost the lower bass, without reducing clarity of the highs, as I hear it.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #24,078 of 27,156
I have just found (and obviously bought) a Peerless PMB 80, NOS (sealed box). I am surprised by the clear sound (though weak bass) of this headphone.  Just one thing:  it seems that time has aged the bonding of the pad edges (white velour). I understand there is no original pads for the PMB 80 now.  Does anyone here know which pads could fit in? Thanks.

How about a picture of the driver? PMB has had a few versions....

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #24,080 of 27,156
Those PMB drivers do usually produce deep (quite) strong bass - if you take the drivers out and put them to your ears, how do they sound then?

(Instead of sealing the cups and damping the drivers, I prefer to minimize bass backwave cancellation on PMB drivers by placing the drivers extremely close to the ears, I have done that with my RT-10, with very good results.)

Well, this is not the case.  Definitely, there is no strong bass... just weak weak bass...  I'd say the AKG Q701 drivers produce very strong bass compared to PMB 80.

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #24,081 of 27,156
  To keep it back on track, anyone remember the AKG ortho transplant(s) hows that for back on topic

Mine went nowhere.
Admittedly I did not put too much effort into it since it is so difficult to work with. Cup depth does not exist either.
The removable mini-xlr/cable seems to weigh my head leftwards really badly too. A bit of extra weight thrown in the right cup could potentially solve the issue but the difference in weight, or at least pull, felt pretty important.
The headband elastics that is losing elasticity also causes problems not only for the comfort but the auto-disconnect feature (opens the circuit when headbands are at rest position). Fun feature, although not necessary.

Well, not all AKG shells are made equal. K271 isn't a great foster'phone though, IMO.

Now out of curiosity, the T20v2 drivers... is there any proper way to remove them from the baffle? Unfortunately I had though they were self-contained like Yamaha/SFI drivers and opened it up, tried pulling a little. It sounded like the diaphragm getting pulled apart into two layers... Still works but might have some channel imbalance now, unfortunately. Human error, a stupid one at that.

Jul 11, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #24,082 of 27,156

Now out of curiosity, the T20v2 drivers... is there any proper way to remove them from the baffle? Unfortunately I had though they were self-contained like Yamaha/SFI drivers and opened it up, tried pulling a little. It sounded like the diaphragm getting pulled apart into two layers... Still works but might have some channel imbalance now, unfortunately. Human error, a stupid one at that.

I don't recall if i took apart my t20v2 but i was under the impression that like v1, the driver is held together by the baffle. Without the baffle it's just two magnets and the diaphragm. 

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #24,083 of 27,156
Have any of you guys acquired a almost NOS/mint orthodynamic can and compared to the same one but with lot of usage?   I recently got a hold of a Fostex T50 v2 and when I opened them the inside seemed new.   The yellow stuff still had not rotten away and in very good condition.   Even the plug was in perfect condition.   Compared to my NAD RP18 that dBel84 modded this new T50 sounded clearer and more punchy.  RP18 won the match for soundstage and imaging but lost all the highs, mids, and lows.   Can a NOS/mint driver be so reveling compared to a high millage one?  Same thing happened when I got a mint Leak 3000.

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #24,085 of 27,156
I don't recall if i took apart my t20v2 but i was under the impression that like v1, the driver is held together by the baffle. Without the baffle it's just two magnets and the diaphragm. 

That does appear to be the case when I opened them... I guess that means I'll have to do some destruction to transplant. Thanks

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #24,087 of 27,156
I haven't openned it (yet). So, no pictures for now.

Perhaps you already know, but be careful with it until you open it The foam has a tendency to transform into sticky crud over time, it is a good idea to get it out as soon as possible (it can fall into the driver, it has no protective cover on the back side usually).

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #24,088 of 27,156
Jul 12, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #24,090 of 27,156
   So the kapton is the bass heavy version? 

Yes... OOOOh yes... the bass is on the Kapton is real.
So real that if you go down a road of extensive mods (especially larger/thicker ear pads), you should find it a challenge (understatement?) to get any decent mids or treble. 

Most have stated a strong preference for the mylar because of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back