Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 24, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #24,031 of 27,138

+1 on the "fortitude" part as well.  Once I managed to but the blunt end of a needle halfway through my thumb doing that.  I went to a few sewing stores after that and discovered that no one seems to make thimbles sized for adult male thumbs.

ouch!
I mostly just poked the needle through initially and pressed the blunt end down on the cutting mat the rest of the way through. 
Quite a slow process, but this time no blood!

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #24,032 of 27,138
  I mostly just poked the needle through initially and pressed the blunt end down on the cutting mat the rest of the way through.

That's normally how I do it as well.  Sometimes it takes that much force just to poke the needle through.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #24,034 of 27,138
Sound impression compared to other orthos?

Generally or with the new pads?
EDIT - either way, I think it's too soon to give impressions, especially given that I've got a really bad cold right now.

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #24,035 of 27,138
What kind of needle did you use? I use an actual leather needle, that has a point with 3 edges, and waxed leather thread also. Application of band-aids BEFORE starting stops slices from that tip. First couple times around it looked like a grabbed a pile of Xacto blades on my finger tips :p

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #24,037 of 27,138
You folks never heard of an awl?

Nope. Never. Looks like it would make excessively large holes to me. Looks good for bags, belts and straps though, but please prove me wrong!

What kind of needle did you use? 

Just a regular needle, but at least double the thickness of a regular one, and extremely sharp. Also quite a short one for better control. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #24,038 of 27,138

Nice job!

+1 on the "fortitude" part as well.  Once I managed to but the blunt end of a needle halfway through my thumb doing that.  I went to a few sewing stores after that and discovered that no one seems to make thimbles sized for adult male thumbs.

The JoAnn's here has an upholstery section with a selection of thimbles that will fit adult male thumbs.  They don't look like "normal" thimbles but they work quite well.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #24,039 of 27,138

The JoAnn's here has an upholstery section with a selection of thimbles that will fit adult male thumbs.  They don't look like "normal" thimbles but they work quite well.

Kentucky is just a bit too far away from Germany for me, but thanks anyway. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #24,041 of 27,138
  What kind of needle did you use? I use an actual leather needle, that has a point with 3 edges, and waxed leather thread also. Application of band-aids BEFORE starting stops slices from that tip. First couple times around it looked like a grabbed a pile of Xacto blades on my finger tips :p

I use a leather needle with heavy duty upholstery thread.

You folks never heard of an awl?

I've never seen one small enough.  Plus rethreading it every time would be such a pain that I'd rather accept the occasional injury.

I'll have to go back and ask someone instead of just looking around then.

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #24,042 of 27,138
Anybody need three pair of T20v1? 

'cause they're out there. on the bay. and they're not obvious. 

Jun 27, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #24,043 of 27,138
listed with no brand name ( or model name ) even

Jun 27, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #24,044 of 27,138
yup, and the badges fell off (common), and he didn't even read "RP" correctly off the cups. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back