Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 15, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #23,356 of 27,141
  SAE 7000 are they dynamic or orthos?

These are the same as the Quadraflex.
The description nearly fooled me, they use the term planar style or electrostatic style, which just means the look. If you search the catalog lists and also the SAE collector site there is nothing to say it is either. I recall finding out it was dynamic.
Sure looks hot though!

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #23,357 of 27,141

These are the same as the Quadraflex.
The description nearly fooled me, they use the term planar style or electrostatic style, which just means the look. If you search the catalog lists and also the SAE collector site there is nothing to say it is either. I recall finding out it was dynamic.
Sure looks hot though!

Yup it's a dynamic. And in true Bob Carver Style - High Velocity:)

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #23,358 of 27,141
+ moving coil electro-dynamic no doubt, but were they "For Digital"
wink_face.gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #23,360 of 27,141
Just an update on the Leak's...I managed to try them with a Musical Fidelity X Cans and it drives them fine. Again they're a nice headphone as is (not damming with faint praise here). I listened to Goldfrap's Felt Mountian and the Leak's really impressed. Similarly with Begona Olivide's Mudejar album they were great.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #23,361 of 27,141
Leaks (Wharfedales!) are pretty fine. I run mine direct from a Matrix Head amp with no problem.
Not bad for a 35 year old phone! Maybe they got it right first time.
Only thing that's changed?
Efficiency, maybe.
Plus inflated cost!

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #23,362 of 27,141
Jul 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #23,364 of 27,141
  I am wondering for push-pull to work, do we need traces on both sides ?

Nope. The amp topology doesn't care about that.

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #23,365 of 27,141
I've made a variation of the Rastapants v2, instead of Paxmate I've used hold motor (boat) phonic isolation (1cm) and cotton for the cup (the rest is the same). Man this is so good, ultra tight bass, better clarity (highs), same mid, that's an effective damping (imo better than the original rastapants v2) . 
smily_headphones1.gif

Forget to take photos, sorry 
biggrin.gif

edit : I'm listening my test tracks and I'm earing things I've never eared with the YH-100 of a friend
basshead.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #23,366 of 27,141
"KH-85 seems very rare was sold for ~ $250"

Yeah, that was me... my first 'what the heck am I doing?!' splurge in a while.  Let me know if there are specific pics you want of them...

As for them being cool looking, they're rather 'beige plastic' in person.  Very very beige.  They practically scream '1980s office filing cabinet, except plastic'.

They sound far better than they look IMHO. Too bad the plastic creaks when you don't hold perfectly still tho :-|

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #23,367 of 27,141
So I got my hands on some rare Technics 810 in pretty good working order. Like, still has plastic wrap on the headband. Not too sure what I want to do with these yet... 

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #23,369 of 27,141
Armaegis all I did with the 810 clones was take some acoustifoam dual layer and put it in the secondary rear outer shell part, but left a diamond shape open in the middle so the tiny pinprick vents were still left open.
I might have that acousti/paxmate whatever down the sides also. Pretty sure.
Then a pinch of Angel Hair in the rears there. Biggest most obvious difference was making new leather pads with the exact inner opening.  The sound is shot without that in my opinion., and the stock pads are terribly thin. They lost all the pleather I  bet?

Nice one! Was that up recently or you work a deal?
No idea why there aren't more kicking around.
 Should be 63 ohm BTW.

"KH-85 seems very rare was sold for ~ $250"

Yeah, that was me... my first 'what the heck am I doing?!' splurge in a while.  Let me know if there are specific pics you want of them...

As for them being cool looking, they're rather 'beige plastic' in person.  Very very beige.  They practically scream '1980s office filing cabinet, except plastic'.

They sound far better than they look IMHO. Too bad the plastic creaks when you don't hold perfectly still tho :-|

no WAY! i think those are some of the best looking vintage orthos ever made. No joke.
Wonder if you can put a very tiny tiny bit of silicone grease on those hinge points. Thhe stuff doesn't ruin plastic as far as I know since plumbers use it. It's super cheap.
Now you need an HP-50 to keep the colour scheme rolling along.

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #23,370 of 27,141
  So I got my hands on some rare Technics 810 in pretty good working order. Like, still has plastic wrap on the headband. Not too sure what I want to do with these yet... 

That should be obvious. You want to mail them off to ME!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back