Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 15, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #23,221 of 27,146

Excellent choice. Was curious about the Nakamichi clones as GREQ mentioned. How do they sound in stock dynamic form?

Do you have any pictures of the inside of the cups?
Also they are a 40mm driver stock?
( I see the pads have some nice holes in them too )

Headphones are not from Nakamichi. Yes stock drivers are 40mm. Will make some pics of cups later.

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #23,222 of 27,146
The HE400 supposedly comes with recessed mids.
[/quote]
Well, like you say, no amp with the yamaha and no fun. Or no old school yamaha amp with ortho out.
People really love the he400, and I don't know if some burn-in would help with any recessed mid. But I read the velour pads and a cable upgrade makes them sound nicer.
But out of the box I guess we're decided on the yh-1 and an amp. I have not heard the yh1 or hp1 but the consensus is positive. And this thread is not as likely to recommend he400 as I am.
In the long run I say it is wort it to get into ortho/planer headphones. $200 might not be enough to get the right impression from what these headphones can do, but once you've listened to a good one it's hard to go back to dynamic.

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #23,223 of 27,146

Headphones are not from Nakamichi. Yes stock drivers are 40mm. Will make some pics of cups later.

Do you have a brand or a link for those phones?

Are the baffles angled?

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #23,225 of 27,146
People really love the he400, and I don't know if some burn-in would help with any recessed mid. But I read the velour pads and a cable upgrade makes them sound nicer.

Are you recommending a phone you haven't heard yourself?

Impressions say the modded fostex zmf may have recessed bass.

I don't believe in solid bass coming out of the T50RP, as far as I know these are just fairy tales and the headfonia owner confirmed it several times in his reviews.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #23,226 of 27,146
I sa
Are you recommending a phone you haven't heard yourself?

I don't believe in solid bass coming out of the T50RP, as far as I know these are just fairy tales and the headfonia owner confirmed it several times in his reviews.
I say it supposedly has recessed bass. That's what I read. I'm only recommending hifiman he400 because I assume he doesn't want to spend $500 on the he5le that I have. I assume he doesn't have a amp that could power 5le, but he400 are supposedly easier to drive. If the he400's have recessed mid then I don't know if that's a bad thing for everyone. My yh100 were not bright if I remember and that may just be a trait of sub $500 planer HPs.
I don't see any threads comparing the he400 with modded fostex. I won't be buying any modified fostex either. I would try he400 because they're price is pretty cheap right now. And though I almost spent about $200 on a yamaha yh100 a week ago, I wouldn't recommend them because parts are so hard to find.

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #23,229 of 27,146
  You have to hear the drivers with wooden enclosure they can be tweaked to output basshead level bass.

Which mod did you hear? Did it output as much bass as the YH100 for instance? As percussive and tight?

sorry wont do it again. I know what it is. Except it is better imho.

No worries but ebay hunting is a favorite past-time for several of us in here and competition is already stiff enough as is
tongue.gif

Did you A/B that Sansui and the ATH-2? They look identical: http://headfonics.com/2011/06/audio-technica-ath-2-retro-awesomeness/

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #23,230 of 27,146
  Did you A/B that Sansui and ATH-2? They look identical: http://headfonics.com/2011/06/audio-technica-ath-2-retro-awesomeness/

Yes they are identical and I havent had the chance yet but supposedly Sansui made a better job of the dampening as it is supected on wikiphonia as well. I am planning a visit to the person who infected me with the ortho virus, and he has an ath2 so it will be confirmed.

Just came back from a long dog walk. Clip+ Sansui SSL55. Its magical. Really. So good even from the clip+

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #23,233 of 27,146
  Yes they are identical and I havent had the chance yet but supposedly Sansui made a better job of the dampening as it is supected on wikiphonia as well.

Good point, I missed that but quite frankly their shell is way too small to allow those drivers to express themselves IMHO.

Its a variation of smeggy thunderpants, you can tweak it as you like. I haven't heard YH-100 so can't comment on that.

Oh OK, I still have a hard time imagining that the T50RP drivers could sound as focused and tight as the top yamies and as bassy as the YH100. The headfonia owner says that the most expensive T50RP mods he tried(with 3D printed cups blablabla) still lack bass impact, this sure sounds like a driver limitation to my ears as I definitely heard a "flabby" house-sound when listening to the T20v1/T20v2 and T50RP(stock and modded).

FWIW Currawong said that the TH500RP was bass-light: http://www.head-fi.org/t/684441/new-fostex-rp-open-backed-planar-magnetic-headphone-th500rp-scheduled-to-be-released-july-2014/135#post_10608060

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #23,234 of 27,146

Good point, I missed that but quite frankly their shell is way too small to allow those drivers to express themselves IMHO.

I am not even pretending I know anything about what and why sounds good or not, but these are open. So size might not be that much of a factor here. and they DO sound pretty effin epicly good.

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #23,235 of 27,146
A bigger shell and a shiny copper cable that's not decades old would pay in cash SQ-wise IMHO, the ATH-2 is semi-open and you sure are getting tons of inner-cup resonances.

A friend of mine fit some of those 38mm drivers into an Alessandro MS1 shell, now this is open. Who needs damping
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back