Orthodynamic Roundup
May 31, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #23,102 of 27,141

Fostex T50rp driver in wooden cup.

Looks good! How does it sound though?

A surprise parcel came in the mail today!

Adastra Stereo Headphones, Model H25. Rather fetching!

They have a screw-on construction hidden by the (terrible) cloth pads. When I opened them up, lo and behold, it's an SFI OEM driver! Feat. horrible disgusting disintegrating foam.

Much better now, all cleaned up! (Yes it's a picture of the other baffle).

Unfortunately I don't have my 6.3mm to 3.5mm pigtail on me at the moment so I don't have any sound impressions. Also, I'll have to replace that foam I cleaned off with something else - most likely paxmate - before I do anything else. I need to return to my boarding house for that though so further updates will probably come tomorrow night UK time. Here's a frequency response of the stock headphones that was on the box to tide you guy over for now.

Apart from the bass roll-off past 30Hz, it seems to be pretty decent for a vintage!

May 31, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #23,103 of 27,141
  Looks good! How does it sound though?

They have a screw-on construction hidden by the (terrible) cloth pads. When I opened them up, lo and behold, it's an SFI OEM driver! Feat. horrible disgusting disintegrating foam.

Much better now, all cleaned up! (Yes it's a picture of the other baffle).

Unfortunately I don't have my 6.3mm to 3.5mm pigtail on me at the moment so I don't have any sound impressions. Also, I'll have to replace that foam I cleaned off with something else - most likely paxmate - before I do anything else. I need to return to my boarding house for that though so further updates will probably come tomorrow night UK time. Here's a frequency response of the stock headphones that was on the box to tide you guy over for now.

Apart from the bass roll-off past 30Hz, it seems to be pretty decent for a vintage!

wow. nice find. Sexy Waiting for sound impressions.

May 31, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #23,104 of 27,141
  wow. nice find. Sexy Waiting for sound impressions.

I didn't even know it was an ortho before I opened it up: I was expecting a dynamic driver. Every day is a surprise I guess 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Snapped up a U70 and a T20V2 on ebay just now to give me more to do over the long incoming summer holiday. Now I have 5 projects on my backlog: modding the Adastra headphones that just arrived, further TDS-5 mods, U70 mods, T20V2 mods and modding the other pair of SFI tweeters I have. There goes the HOK 80-2 purchase though, I can't afford it anymore.

May 31, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #23,105 of 27,141

Ah - saw those on ebay - they were a bit expensive for my curiosity. Glad the gamble paid off. Very nice find indeed.

May 31, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #23,106 of 27,141
  Ah - saw those on ebay - they were a bit expensive for my curiosity. Glad the gamble paid off. Very nice find indeed.

Have they been sold on ebay before? This is the first one I've found so far and I was able to get the seller to lower the price enough to make me pull the trigger on them. Either way, I guess wikiphonia should be updated!

May 31, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #23,107 of 27,141
  I didn't even know it was an ortho before I opened it up: I was expecting a dynamic driver. Every day is a surprise I guess 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Snapped up a U70 and a T20V2 on ebay just now to give me more to do over the long incoming summer holiday. Now I have 5 projects on my backlog: modding the Adastra headphones that just arrived, further TDS-5 mods, U70 mods, T20V2 mods and modding the other pair of SFI tweeters I have. There goes the HOK 80-2 purchase though, I can't afford it anymore.

Congrats with your surprise! Saw this headphones, but didn't notice that they are ortho :)
I'm waiting for your impressions about Adastra and T20v2 )

May 31, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #23,108 of 27,141

Have they been sold on ebay before? This is the first one I've found so far and I was able to get the seller to lower the price enough to make me pull the trigger on them. Either way, I guess wikiphonia should be updated!

I've never seen them before. They must be fairly obscure/rare. Most likely a one-time thing.
They remind me of the AKG K545 
tongue.gif

May 31, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #23,109 of 27,141
  Congrats with your surprise! Saw this headphones, but didn't notice that they are ortho :)
I'm waiting for your impressions about Adastra and T20v2 )

Looking at the external packaging, it's impossible to tell that they're ortho so that's understandable. Absolutely nothing on the net about what the hell they were too. I had cash to burn so I thought 'why not.' For the good of the ortho thread! 
biggrin.gif

I've never seen them before. They must be fairly obscure/rare. Most likely a one-time thing.
They remind me of the AKG K545 
tongue.gif

Must've been my lucky day then! On the listing the seller claims that the last one sold for GBP45 but I can't seem to find any evidence for this on the net. Strange.
You know, now that I compare them with the AKG K545 I can see why 
redface.gif

May 31, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #23,110 of 27,141
  Looking at the external packaging, it's impossible to tell that they're ortho so that's understandable. Absolutely nothing on the net about what the hell they were too. I had cash to burn so I thought 'why not.' For the good of the ortho thread! 
biggrin.gif

Must've been my lucky day then! On the listing the seller claims that the last one sold for GBP45 but I can't seem to find any evidence for this on the net. Strange.
You know, now that I compare them with the AKG K545 I can see why 
redface.gif

Incredible luck there. Very very nice score. Like the look of those a fair bit. That 4 - 300 ohms matching comment on the box is a little odd.

May 31, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #23,112 of 27,141

Incredible luck there. Very very nice score. Like the look of those a fair bit. That 4 - 300 ohms matching comment on the box is a little odd.

Looks like my ortho hunt I was talking about with you came to fruition after all 
biggrin.gif
 after all that though, my (paypal) wallet is feeling mighty light. The bottom pair is something I bought to experiment with my other pair of SFI tweeters.

(already featured on the head-fi fb page)
  They look similar to drivers in Watson Mod.930

Yea, I would assume they share the same Sawafuji OEM along with others like the ATH-2 and SS-L55. Hoping this implementation will sound great! It's definitely a unique one and its vented and already comes factory-damped with some foam (although it disintegrated) so I'm hoping for a good impression.

May 31, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #23,114 of 27,141

They look similar to drivers in Watson Mod.930

Yea, I would assume they share the same Sawafuji OEM along with others like the ATH-2 and SS-L55. Hoping this implementation will sound great! It's definitely a unique one and its vented and already comes factory-damped with some foam (although it disintegrated) so I'm hoping for a good impression.

Essentially the same, but the Watson Mod drivers are uniquely encased in plastic instead of the more common aluminium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back