Orthodynamic Roundup
May 27, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #23,056 of 27,146
  I beg to differ. The hok 80-2 is anything but bass shy. Its tight and punchy without spoiling the mids.

Not to mention my hp1 on the tube amp that was built by a friend of mine especially for that and tunded for weeks with the hp1 as the only thing connected to it...

It's why I'm interested in purchasing a pair 
biggrin.gif
 I really do value my bass!

May 27, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #23,057 of 27,146
  I already have a rather lage (3mm diameter) bass port on the center of the back of the cups and it's already helped bring the sub-bass out of hiding.

I wonder if they still need more ports though?

But your bass port is behind those thick layers of damping apparently? You want air to be able to go in and out fairly easily, bass ports are usually located close the baffle on the surrounding of the cup.

Are you sure those SFI's aren't tweeters?

Meh... had one of those once. Unfortunately the quantity of bass greatly outweighs the quality. IMO of course.

Same story with the TDS5M IME, way overblown deep bass with tiny mids compared to the YH1...and the stock damping was serious business, hard to believe it was stock tbh but it apparently really was.

May 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #23,058 of 27,146

But your bass port is behind those thick layers of damping apparently? You want air to be able to go in and out fairly easily, bass ports are usually located close the baffle on the surrounding of the cup.

Are you sure those SFI's aren't tweeters?

Same story with the TDS5M IME, way overblown deep bass with tiny mids compared to the YH1...and the stock damping was serious business, hard to believe it was stock tbh but it apparently really was.

Nah, I left the bass port completely exposed to the driver apart from a thin layer of arctic felt as I left an empty space in the middle of the cup with all the damping in a donut shape. Also, they are indeed tweeters so the crap bass isn't a surprise and frankly I'm a bit shocked I coaxed out that much.

May 27, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #23,060 of 27,146
  oh and I forgat. The sansui SS100. Not a basshead by any means but it has bass. and in every frequency. I am clearly hearing the 20hz-20khz sweep right from the 20hz mark.
The SSl55 is also quite good as it is.

Both of them are rare as balls though so it's unlikely that I'll have a chance to get them.

May 27, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #23,063 of 27,146
  I beg to differ. The hok 80-2 is anything but bass shy. Its tight and punchy without spoiling the mids.

Not to mention my hp1 on the tube amp that was built by a friend of mine especially for that and tunded for weeks with the hp1 as the only thing connected to it...

How does HOK 80-2 sounds comparing to TDS H16-40? Wich one has more bass and better sounding? Wich one more easy to drive?

May 28, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #23,064 of 27,146
  How does HOK 80-2 sounds comparing to TDS H16-40? Wich one has more bass and better sounding? Wich one more easy to drive?

Hok80-2 More bass, punchier bass, and more low end bass. the TDS lacks to low end of the bass. HOK does not. All around I prefer the HOK 80 ( I am listening to that almost exclusively since it arrived ) It is also much harder to drive compared to the TDS. 

I am really liking this. On the weekend I get back my hp1 tranferred to balanced, and I will have impression on the two at that time compared to each other as my hp1 was the best closed I heard before. The hok comes very close at least with my taste. but no direct comparisons so far.

Please note that the SS100 still takes the cake and that is the best thing ever... but it is open.

Please everyone take into consideration that everything I write is highly subjective, only represents my experience and opionion but no truth to be found. YMMW and so on.

Also please take in to account that I am using an extremely neutral studio DAC as source ( TC Impact Twin ) and tube amps purpose built for orthos.

Take for example the SS100. the moment I bought it I liked it. It sounded nice on Laptop headphone out. on Clip+ on headstreamer.
On anything. That is sneaky little person as the mids are so so charming from anything that you tend to settle. Until I plugged it in to a morgan jones clone Tube amp... I was blown away. Everything I loved was even better, but the bass became so better. Still and it never will be a basshead stuff, but everything that was put in the music is there. And the clarity, the transparence. Its on a different level. 

May 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #23,066 of 27,146
Just received my Fostex t20v2 NOS and after around 30 minutes or 2 hours( not listened them, just played cascade burning sound out of PC's internal Realtek right side died :D. Now still playing, but like 10 times quieter or even more. Checked impedance - 50 ohm for left side and 2-5 for right. Tried other wire but its still the same - seems something wrong with driver )). So sad, that's my second try to bought Fostex and again not successful ))))

May 28, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #23,067 of 27,146
By the way... I'm interested in bass heavy HP3 as well. :)

May 29, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #23,068 of 27,146
  Send me an offer and maybe we can work something out!

I don't think that's allowed on hf but i will put up a quick for sale listing and you can have first pick if you want them. 

By the way... I'm interested in bass heavy HP3 as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well the yamaha yh-3 does have some heavy bass, not as clean sounding as say the t50rp but still sounds nice and i think its the cheapest vintage ortho you can find online.

Price is flexible a little. Just want to cover or close to what i spent for them.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/720976/yamaha-yh-3-vintage-orthodynamic-great-shape

May 29, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #23,069 of 27,146
Just received my Fostex t20v2 NOS and after around 30 minutes or 2 hours( not listened them, just played cascade burning sound out of PC's internal Realtek right side died
biggrin.gif
. Now still playing, but like 10 times quieter or even more. Checked impedance - 50 ohm for left side and 2-5 for right. Tried other wire but its still the same - seems something wrong with driver )). So sad, that's my second try to bought Fostex and again not successful ))))

How much did you spend on the t20? New T40rp's are fairly cheap and i really cant tell the difference between the t40rp and t50rp driver.

May 29, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #23,070 of 27,146
  How much did you spend on the t20? New T40rp's are fairly cheap and i really cant tell the difference between the t40rp and t50rp driver.

I think he got a vintage T20V2 with the circular driver, not the modern T20RP.
  I don't think that's allowed on hf but i will put up a quick for sale listing and you can have first pick if you want them. 

Oops I forgot about that rule, my bad. 

Oh, I have a question. Should I go for the Fostex T20V2 or the Yamaha HP/YH3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back