Orthodynamic Roundup
May 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #22,996 of 27,145
  Welcome, one of my phones are on the way to you.
duggehsmile.png

Small world it is :)

May 20, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #22,999 of 27,145

Can you post impressions of both.

The Hp1 I bought a few months back from England. Like NOS in box, the black box version ( better magnet and a 2db more sensitive )

I love it a LOT. it is stock the pads are still running strong no peeling. Hadn't I heard the astonishing marvelous mids of the sansui ss100 I would never look any further. That is my only gripe about them, the mids are a bit in the background. other than that I love everything about it. With the tube amp and the impact twin as dac it is very controlled very tight and very open for a stock ortho yamaha. It is so good I would never touch it.

( sidenote : I had the chance just yesterday to directly compare a well modded yh100 to it and to my ears on my system it was barely distinguishable between these two. The owner said he never heard a hp1 so good and open. I was ready to buy it but with the 250$ish price and barely any improvement I passed. )

The hp3 is a beater. had a rough life and well. it is nowhere near the hp1. it is a different level, or two... less transparent, darker, gloomier, less controlled. I dont think that as a good headphone to be honest at least not for music. I use them at times as movie headphones during night when the Mrs is already sleeping. For that driven from the headphone out of the sony ta f461 it is good enough. Due to the lightness and rough plasticiness I bought it to be a mobile heapdhone on the streets and on bicycle, but it is waaaay too powerhungry for that.

May 21, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #23,000 of 27,145
Thank you for sharing that, can you also post your impressions about TDS-16 smela, HP50 and HOK 80-2 ?

May 21, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #23,001 of 27,145
  Thank you for sharing that, can you also post your impressions about TDS-16 smela, HP50 and HOK 80-2 ?

The hok 2 is still on the way here. Just a heads up should anybody be interested. THAT auction site German version. NOS unopened boxed 80-2 available for 50 euro. does ship outside Germany if you contact him. 

The hp-50a. Much much better then the hp-3. Less used, more loved, or simply better. Arrived to me with completely dead pads, I couldnt even tell if these were pleather or cloth by design. Ordered some v150 chinese pads, and recabled to stereo. The pads are bad. To stiff foam doesnt isolate very well as the contact is not perfect on the ears and guessing the rigidness adds distance from the driver and that must not help... so still looking for softer better pads. Any ideas?
The sound is nice.  between the hp3 and hp1. Still recessed mids a bit but other than that all good. very tight very controlled sound, tho less "engulfing" its good but less joy then the hp1. Hp1 is more musical by a lot. Right now I use this on my bicycle rides.

The TDS smela is an interesting beast. I like them. The lows and highs are rolled off as everyone knows. but thats just words. Othar then that these are very very fast quite natural sounding and indeed very musical phones. The bottommost part of the lows are indeed missing. You can spot it if you want to. Or you can just listen to music and have fun. The factory vinyl pads on my were terrible. The sound was VERY good with them but they were deteriorating badly and not evenly unfortunately. This means that the right side had substantially less matter left in them compared to the left. Lead to a quite uneven fit and feel. Also the vinyl pads seal perfectly vhich is good for acoustics, but you start sweating in your ears roughly in 17 or 18 seconds. So these had to go. Ordered to sets of sj1 pads. one clotc one pleather. The cloth fits in nicely but takes away some of the bass. Still quite good but a step in the wrong direction. The pleather. Its NICE. it soft its shallow. and it doesnt fit. The tds16 has a ridge along the cups. 1-1.5mm height and the pads should fit in between. Dremel time it seems. But my original set is going to my wife as she really loves them. And she does not want pleather pads duu to comfort issues in summer and so on so she opted for the cloth. 
She will be using it in the workplace: notebook -> hrt headstreamer -> Tds16

Hope it helps. Please note that I am not a native speaker and describing sound impressions can be very hard even in your native language. Also these are highly subjective thoughts and impressions on my owned gear so please as everything, take it as such.

Regards,
fattyu

May 21, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #23,007 of 27,145
I thought about that PCB too, but seller doesn't have paypal, so I decided that I don't want to spend money for bank transfers etc.:)

May 22, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #23,009 of 27,145
Am I the only one here who utilises a normal amplifier to listen to 'phones?
Tap off the speaker sockets into my Wharfedales-they were provided, originally, with an adaptor, albeit a DIN one (it was the 1970s!)
 Not knowing enough about amps and the effects of a non 8 ohm load, am I losing anything?

May 22, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #23,010 of 27,145
  Am I the only one here who utilises a normal amplifier to listen to 'phones?
Tap off the speaker sockets into my Wharfedales-they were provided, originally, with an adaptor, albeit a DIN one (it was the 1970s!)
 Not knowing enough about amps and the effects of a non 8 ohm load, am I losing anything?

You're not alone.
There are quite a few guys using small speaker amps to power their volt-hungry Hifimans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back