Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 10, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #14,581 of 27,185

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't use the Paduak cups anyways, so it doesn't really matter. They're too bland looking.

BLAND??!! 

who are you calling bland 
wink_face.gif

..dB

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #14,582 of 27,185

Quote:
BLAND??!! 

who are you calling bland 
wink_face.gif

..dB

But, but, but,

I'm a fan of curling. Not the INTENSE ice sport, mind you.

Those are your YHD-1s (2s?) right?

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #14,583 of 27,185

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a pair of fake ESW9s for an SFI fosterphone and make some wood pucks for them. Anyone know the dimensions of what they should be? Like what's the width across and how thick are the cups? Thanks in advance!

The set I'm referring too are ones Germania had found and bought for her re-cupped SFI foster.  I haven't put the effort into tracking down a pair for myself.  Too many other things I need to do first.  I'll keep one set of perfectly matched 32ohm and 120ohm SFIs for future use, but the rest will be pieced out.  I owe AC a pair and probably will hook up a few others that have given me immeasurable help lately.  They know who they are. 
wink.gif

K240s really aren't worth the hassle to foster, IMHO. 

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #14,584 of 27,185

Quote:
The set I'm referring too are ones Germania had found and bought for her re-cupped SFI foster.  I haven't put the effort into tracking down a pair for myself.  Too many other things I need to do first.  I'll keep one set of perfectly matched 32ohm and 120ohm SFIs for future use, but the rest will be pieced out.  I owe AC a pair and probably will hook up a few others that have given me immeasurable help lately.  They know who they are. 
wink.gif

K240s really aren't worth the hassle to foster, IMHO. 

Ah, cool thanks for saving me some time with the K240s, and I might as well give the ESW9 a shot. It's about $60 for 2 pairs, plus $30 for the SFI drivers, $15 for the wood, ~$20 for the cables, and $5-$10 for materials, I should be able to make two decent pairs of headphones for about $65 each. Not that bad.

I still need to know the dimensions though. Anyone? Bueller? I should probably just start a new thread... 

Although, http://www.dhgate.com/bran-new-5pcs-audio-technica-ath-esw9-ath/p-ff8080812143c29301214dbf2ed368e6.html has caught my eye. Any three people want a pair at $22?

Wait, is this violating the rules...? I'll take it down if it does. I'm not advertising them as real, and it's meant for pure science!

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #14,585 of 27,185

Quote:

Ah, cool thanks for saving me some time with the K240s, and I might as well give the ESW9 a shot. It's about $60 for 2 pairs, plus $30 for the SFI drivers, $15 for the wood, ~$20 for the cables, and $5-$10 for materials, I should be able to make two decent pairs of headphones for about $65 each. Not that bad.

I still need to know the dimensions though. Anyone? Bueller? I should probably just start a new thread... 

Although, http://www.dhgate.com/bran-new-5pcs-audio-technica-ath-esw9-ath/p-ff8080812143c29301214dbf2ed368e6.html has caught my eye. Any three people want a pair at $22?

Wait, is this violating the rules...? I'll take it down if it does. I'm not advertising them as real, and it's meant for pure science!

You're not trying to flip them, so it's all good.  I'm in for two pair with ya'.  Might just grab all 3 now...

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #14,586 of 27,185

Quote:
You're not trying to flip them, so it's all good.  I'm in for two pair with ya'.  Might just grab all 3 now...

Well I'm ordering them next week most likely. Have some stuff to do first. There's also a lot of 10, but it saves about 2 dollars each and frankly, not worth it.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #14,588 of 27,185

Quote:
Wow, I don't know about you guys, but unsolicited media on websites thoroughly pisses me off. $22? You then have to ship to the interested parties, so maybe it'd be more like $27 in the US.

Yes, it does irk me too.

Might as well call shipping $8, they won't fit in a small USPS Priority Small Flat Rate... 

Still, $30 a pair for a good, easy to foster headband and cup is cheap...  Hell, most of my pads cost more than that!

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #14,590 of 27,185
Haha, yeah. I messaged a few ebay sellers, and got a response back from one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110536869068

That's $52 shipped for a pair with wood cups. I guess I'd wait to see what happens with that lot of 5 before recommending this dude, but yeah. Woodies take work, and it'd be worth a bit of money to have it pre-done.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #14,591 of 27,185
Okay, I'm chatting with the seller who says they are made with real wood. It'd be interesting if they actually are, but then he just copy pasted from the text which makes me lose hope in that.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #14,593 of 27,185
By having cheap drivers, fake leather, plastic instead of wood, etc. There are a lot of ways you can cut corners, and I'd bet that a lot of them do a lot of it.

In other news, I just finished the soldering on my SFI plant into an old pair of Koss K6/x Plus headphones. I caulked the drivers in to get a good seal, but I put them in backwards, so I had to cut off the fibrous damping pad, instead of having the mesh side. This means I'm gonna need some screen material for it, maybe two offset layers of window screen glued to the driver front?

Meanwhile, HOLY Snickers, batman, they've got bass! I've got them damped with two layers of microfiber chamois imitation cloth, and the pads are those old air-filled vinyl deals, except they're circumsupra sized. I can even get my ears to pop by pressing them against my ears.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #14,594 of 27,185

[size=medium]
Get some speaker grill cloth and cover it up. and yes, the little drivers got a surprising amount of bass when you isolate them correctly. 
basshead.gif

edit: btw, is the frequency response flat for your SFI headphones? I'm interested in knowing the frequency response of these drivers in different housing.
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back