Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 10, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #14,566 of 27,185
Sweet.

I was just talking to my bro, and I was lamenting how, these days, ortho auctions on eBay are more of a silent auction, what with people waiting till last second to snipe it.

Speaking of which, there's a U70 there too, that I'm bidding on, and I'd kinda not like to win it. I bid 50 GBP, or ~$70 USD on it, if anyone wants it. Shipping is gonna be another $30 USD, at least, for me, and I'd like to avoid that.

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #14,567 of 27,185

Quote:

Hey, this isn't supposed to be rocket science!
popcorn.gif

I know. Doesn't hurt to approach it with science though.
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #14,568 of 27,185
Quote:
Speaking of which, there's a U70 there too, that I'm bidding on, and I'd kinda not like to win it. I bid 50 GBP, or ~$70 USD on it, if anyone wants it. Shipping is gonna be another $30 USD, at least, for me, and I'd like to avoid that.

But it's better for the community if you get it and have a look at the driver :)

Quote:
If you "uncamber" it, that would bring the driver closer to your ear, reducing the amount of air the driver has to push, making it easier to exude that low-bass stuff.

That's the theory... but I thought it got a bit more bass placed further away.... but we all hear a bit differently, maybe it won't end up that way for the new owner. Anyway, it's easy to open and experiment with, but I doubt that it can get that extreme deep and loud bass.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #14,569 of 27,185
so our good friend Don was over this afternoon to pick up his amp and listen to the new Cavalli Liquid Gold amp..

Since we only had my one Wharfie Zebs, I asked him what he felt about the sound. I had not bothered to change the damping from what i had set it at the first time round as it sounded pretty decent.

Don said I should bring out the transpore and micropore and experiment with them..To sort out the mids and tighten up the bass.

So off I went like so many tweakers :wink: ..swapping out the smeggy felt for some transpore and micropore. Removed the layer of Joann's felt that lined the walls and replaced it with some denser multi-layered cloth like material that Don had handed to me ages ago. 

After about 3 iterations. the 4th one seemed to hit onto the green. I can say that I have the bass nice and taught..Still not sure about the mids. It has leveled out from before but I kinda do like my mids a tad forward. Male vocals though sound near spot on. Going to let it run as it is for now. I am once again pleased with the sound enough to leave it alone for a while. I need to get those test tones out to see how much better it really is though. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #14,570 of 27,185
just when I finished my sfi headphone with a headphone similar to panasonic rp-htx7 as a fosterphone and really happy with it, now I really want to try the t50rp :frowning2:. my sfi has good soundstage as i stuff the ear pads so that the driver is farther away from the ear, thumping bass ( almost as much as my grado sr125) due to the weatherstrip ring. what is the total size of the t50rp's driver ( including the film bit that sticks out for wiring). I kind of have an idea of putting those driver in my rp-htx7 to make it the best portable headphones :). i think the housing is capable, as the driver is small, maybe making a wooden cup. the ear pads can be made deep enough for bass and soundstage. Can anyone help me with the size of the t50rp driver? I read it is 35x35, but does it include the film? what is the total dimension?

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #14,571 of 27,185

Quote:
1) it's better for the community if you get it and have a look at the [U70's] driver.

2) [re: cambering] That's the theory... but I thought it got a bit more bass placed further away.... but we all hear a bit differently, maybe it won't end up that way for the new owner. Anyway, it's easy to open and experiment with, but I doubt that it can get that extreme deep and loud bass.

1) Yes. There's a possibility that the early U70s had the "good" PMB driver, the one with the extra (and larger) holes. DAC found a photo of a U70 that looked like it had such a driver. Of course, we'll never know for sure unless people buy 'em and pop 'em open.

2) DAC, did your setup make the driver more, or less, parallel to the outer ear (as opposed to the skull)?

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #14,572 of 27,185

Quote:
1) Yes. There's a possibility that the early U70s had the "good" PMB driver, the one with the extra (and larger) holes. DAC found a photo of a U70 that looked like it had such a driver. Of course, we'll never know for sure unless people buy 'em and pop 'em open.

2) DAC, did your setup make the driver more, or less, parallel to the outer ear (as opposed to the skull)?

1) But with my CE-H's that I dodged bullets for, that's like $170 in orthoey goodness, and I'm a cheap person.

2) Aren't those guys supra-aural, meaning that they already are leveled to the outer-ear? Do you really need to angle the driver on supraaurals?

2.1) Also, could a small change in angle make a wideband difference in the outer ear's combing effects, enough to create a perception of more bass?

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #14,573 of 27,185
I'm looking to buy a pair of fake ESW9s for an SFI fosterphone and make some wood pucks for them. Anyone know the dimensions of what they should be? Like what's the width across and how thick are the cups? Thanks in advance!

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #14,576 of 27,185

Quote:
If you find a good pair of Fake ESW9's, they would already have the wood cups. And if you don't like what you get, you can always just complain about what you knew going into it: they're fakes.

Well I'm trusting Boilermakerfan's statement that they're one of the better frames, and I wanted some pretty Amboyna cups on them.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #14,577 of 27,185
Maybe there are some quality fakes out there, you never know. You can always ask the sellers, "do these have wooden cups." If they respond by referencing "AT-ESW9" then ask if the version they're selling has them.

Ooh, and:
Sorry murphyslabrat, you didn't win the item.

Item:Bang & Olufson, B&O, B & O, U70 Stereo Headphones.

Woot, I got sniped again, and I'm so glad I did.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #14,578 of 27,185

Quote:
Maybe there are some quality fakes out there, you never know. You can always ask the sellers, "do these have wooden cups." If they respond by referencing "AT-ESW9" then ask if the version they're selling has them.

Ooh, and:
Sorry murphyslabrat, you didn't win the item.

Item:Bang & Olufson, B&O, B & O, U70 Stereo Headphones.

Woot, I got sniped again, and I'm so glad I did.

Well, I wouldn't use the Paduak cups anyways, so it doesn't really matter. They're too bland looking.
biggrin.gif
Well compared to Amboyna or Cocobolo. And has anyone "perfected" the Smeggy K240 SFI project from a couple hundred pages ago? I was too lazy to read after the 10th page on.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #14,580 of 27,185

Users who are viewing this thread

Back