Orthodynamic Roundup
May 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #14,191 of 27,139

Quote:

Im not sure dude I got a small biit from italy a while back.
What i know is its the wool they use for jackets.

(well in this case specifically milatary jackets). So looking down something like that would be good.

This particular wool was wool/cashmerer blend, thin black. And the brand was "Moorbrook". But I think any other similar thing would do fine.

Since the first unread post was the first post of the thread, I reread this page.  Just for kicks, I googled Moorbrook.  If someone want's to cut up a coat, there a bunch cheap

http://blujay.com/?page=ad&adid=2706090&cat=6230600

May 6, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #14,192 of 27,139

Quote:
Hey, I guess they're not all that special, but I just won a pair of NOS Realistic Pro 30's. These guys are in immaculate condition.

And, yeah, congratulations on the find, Sachu. I'm really jealous of all you ninjas, I seem unable to find anything truly remarkable. These pro 30's are about the best I've done so far.

I still think the Pro 30s is a sweetheart and finding a pair in that condition is certainly a good find.

May 6, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #14,195 of 27,139
TPs and Oz felt in da' house! Can't wait till the kids are in bed. Think I have some work to do tonight and I'll need to listen to some tunes!

May 6, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #14,196 of 27,139
^^ Brian's going to be  like this 
L3000.gif
 tonight.
biggrin.gif

Don't forget to put forth impressions.

May 6, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #14,197 of 27,139
i tried the reflex dot mod using blue tak on my deep cup sfi, with sfi-thin dense wool felt-blue tak-thick (4mm) wool felt, and it sounds nice, right amount of mid and bass, but the high is a bit piercing. and compare to my grado sr 125, i find them on the same level of detail, so how can I improve sfi? I believe they are much more detail

May 7, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #14,198 of 27,139

Quote:

I still think the Pro 30s is a sweetheart and finding a pair in that condition is certainly a good find.

Thanks, JE. I agree. They don't sound like much when you pull them from the box, but a little felt in the right places and the word "transformed" is not too strong.

Quote:
i tried the reflex dot mod using blue tak on my deep cup sfi, with sfi-thin dense wool felt-blue tak-thick (4mm) wool felt, and it sounds nice, right amount of mid and bass, but the high is a bit piercing. and compare to my grado sr 125, i find them on the same level of detail, so how can I improve sfi? I believe they are much more detail

What did they sound like before you put on the reflex dot, and how big is the dot?

May 7, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #14,199 of 27,139

Quote:

What did they sound like before you put on the reflex dot, and how big is the dot?

before, the treble is bright, and too much sparkle. i tried a 18mm dot and treble is tamed a bit,but I don't find it 'fast' or 'detailed' and cant imagine it would be comparable to electrostatic. I tried 22mm reflex dot and the treble's quantity decreases dramatically. does this sfi need to be burn in?

May 7, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #14,200 of 27,139
No, something isn't right, though I can't tell from your description what it is. The diameter of a reflex dot should be small in comparison to the diameter of the driver, and a reflex dot doesn't "tame" anything, it makes the high treble stronger. About 10mm should do the job, but if the sound is already too sparkly and bright, there's another problem. Can anyone help frank2908?

May 7, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #14,203 of 27,139

Quote:
i glued a layer of 1.5mm 100% wool felt on the driver then the blue tak, do u reckon this layer is too much?

Ok this is gonna sound silly but, your reflex dot is on the backwave side of the driver right...? not the front side...
And the bluetack, you are just using it as a gasket on the sides of the driver silver frame yeah? not on the actual magnets/holes??

Thickness of wool isnt as much of an issue as its density and air damping capability.

May 7, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #14,204 of 27,139

Quote:
Ok this is gonna sound silly but, your reflex dot is on the backwave side of the driver right...? not the front side...
And the bluetack, you are just using it as a gasket on the sides of the driver silver frame yeah? not on the actual magnets/holes??

Thickness of wool isnt as much of an issue as its density and air damping capability.

yeah i put it on the back, and use bluetack both as a gasket and reflex dot. By applying the bluetack on the back i realise i'm actually cover 1 hole. the brightness i guess partly come from the fact that my housing is aluminium, which was reduced when i put fiber in the front chamber or increase the reflex dot diameter. i can get enough amount of bass.if i seal the cup completely, sometimes i get too much mid. i reduce this by drilling small holes in the front chamber. so now i have bass and mid that i want, the treble is a bit bright, but i dont mind. i only confuse because it is only in the same level of detail as my grado sr125 and akg k242

May 7, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #14,205 of 27,139
I am finally getting my first ortho's. I am getting DAC's Akai ASE-40's . All ready tuned by Don. I am super excited. Now I am on the lookout for some ASE-50's which I know is going to be next to impossible. I have found a pair on a Japanese auction site, and I have a guy who works for me working in Japan right now so I have my fingers crossed I will get them. They are so beautiful, even if I don't like the sound I can just stare at them all day. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back