Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 6, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #12,318 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heres a closeup of the above diaphragm if anyone is interested (i think its rather beautiful):
3843524642_43589d351e_o.jpg

I couldnt find ANY physical flaws with it whatsoever.

I feel Wiki updates coming.
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #12,319 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fascinating. Looks like old photos of a penicillium mold. What are the parts on that diaphragm that rattle?

Little bits of metal or maybe pipe tobacco considering the smell when I opened the box. They are visible as black specks on the driver.

Nov 7, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #12,324 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What luck the negs are just back from the lab.

Is there a picture of the other side of the magnet as well? On the PMB80 it appeared that the holes were a bit smaller on the other side.

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #12,326 of 27,161
Tapered holes? Wild. It's a case of being the Right Thing To Do, but whether it makes an audible difference... it would be interesting to know. I'm aware that there are some men who would want nothing between themselves and their diaphragms and attribute all kinds of horrors to the tiniest obstructions, so this attention to detail on the part of PMB would gladden their hearts.

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #12,327 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The holes are smaller on the inside, you can't see in my photo with just the one
light and the low angle. I'll have to bounce some more light in there if you want to see the taper.

So the magnets are very similar then, maybe identical. I think the Grundig magnets might be slightly different. Maybe I should take a family photo together with the Dual driver.

Something else... I found a cheaper quad cable for the PMB80 in a local hi-fi repair store. Is there something that could make it a poor choice that I should look out for?

Nov 7, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #12,328 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the magnets are very similar then, maybe identical.

In the close up here you can see the difference between the hole in the middle that is straight and the tapered holes surrounding it.
pmb100cu.jpg

Nov 7, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #12,329 of 27,161
Would this be kind of like acoustic horn loading?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAC
Something else... I found a cheaper quad cable for the PMB80 in a local hi-fi repair store. Is there something that could make it a poor choice that I should look out for?

Generally thickness, flexibility, durability are the main factors in cables. Don't want something massively clunky or microphonic... anything that could get in the way of just enjoying the music.

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #12,330 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would this be kind of like acoustic horn loading?

Pretty miniature for horn loading but the same physics probably do apply. My guess would be that this was an attempt to reduce the parallel sides of the holes acting like little transmission lines or just to be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back