Orthodynamic Roundup
Nov 4, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #12,301 of 27,161
Sorry for the derailment of the nice HE5 discussion....

I have taken the PMB-80 apart and done a stage 1 damping on it. Well, almost, the pads aren't so well attached to the baffle yet because I misplaced a piece.

It had that great foam damping that also the Grundig had, but more of it. The foam was crumbling and had to go. Instead, I put yellow fiber glass for isolating ventilation pipes inside. I kept the woven material on the back of it for now. Bass is happier now. Drivers are happier now that the crumbling foam is on the outside. I am happier now that it sounds good. Something might be missing in the top end, but I am used to the sparkly LCD-1. Maybe some pad rolling could be fun. Or a reflex dot.

It's bascially a good headset. Open-back, circum design. The grille has maybe too broad bars, so maybe it only counts as half-open.

The drivers look even nicer in reality than on the pictures. Large holes in the magnets, and lot's of them.
EDIT: One driver went all silent on me. Maybe there is also a hole in the driver then.

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #12,302 of 27,161
I couldn't resist taking the driver apart while I was looking for trouble in the PMB-80.

pmb80magnet1.jpg

pmb80driver.jpg

pmb80magnet2.jpg

Time for a recable. I'm looking at a long wait for the Mogami cable as they don't have it in stock here.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #12,304 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heres a closeup of the above diaphragm if anyone is interested (i think its rather beautiful):

I couldnt find ANY physical flaws with it whatsoever.

The driver is fine. (even after meeting my clumsy fingers)

But the cable....
mad.gif
What happened to German engineering quality?

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #12,305 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The driver is fine. (even after meeting my clumsy fingers)

But the cable....
mad.gif
What happened to German engineering quality?

Yes the cable was fairly sucky....If im not mistaken you had a pretty identical kinda cable on your Dual.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #12,306 of 27,161
Quote:

Heres a closeup of the above diaphragm if anyone is interested (i think its rather beautiful):
3843524642_43589d351e_o.jpg

I couldnt find ANY physical flaws with it whatsoever.

How did you get it open?

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #12,307 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you get it open?

It is held together by 3 metal clamps. I just use one hand as a clamp, and slide of the three metal clamps with my other hand. It comes apart straight away. And carefully reverse the process to put it back together.

V.simple.

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #12,309 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyBuoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard today that the HE5's will be offered with an EF5 as a combo. Fang said it is an EF1 modified to work best with HE5. I checked the Head-direct site and found these specs for a yet to be released EF5.
Any comments on how they might match up together?

Head-Direct.com | YUIN
EF5
Will be available soon.
Opamp: OPA275
Tube: Sylvania 12AU7 (CONN branded)
Frequency Response: 20-30K Hz
THD+N: less than 0.2%
S/N: more than 95dB
Input impedance: 50K Ohm
Output impedance: 2–2K Ohm headphones
Output signal strength: up to 15 Volts at 32 Ohm
Input: RCA*1
Output: 1/4 headphone jack*1
Dimension: 110mm(W)*50mm(H)*270mm(D),
or 4.33inch(W)*1.97inch (H)*10.63inch (D)
Weight: 750g (without power supply)
Acessory: 12AU7 tube, 18V AC power supply

Orthoheads' opinions? Would there be any better amp in the 400$ and below range to drive the he-5?

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #12,310 of 27,161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Orthoheads' opinions? Would there be any better amp in the 400$ and below range to drive the he-5?

I'd suggest the Soha-2..heard the HE-5 with it and it drove them admirably.

You could build a SE EHHA for that price too if you are into DIY.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #12,313 of 27,161
Welllllll, they both have cups with that louvered look, like an old jalousie window, and they both have that big goofy holey PMB driver. Grundig went for glue, Peerless went for clamps. Just speckle-atin'

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #12,315 of 27,161
Quote:

It is held together by 3 metal clamps. I just use one hand as a clamp, and slide of the three metal clamps with my other hand. It comes apart straight away. And carefully reverse the process to put it back together.

V.simple.

Yes it seems to be.
PB053627.jpg

You can see the little bits that rattle in my pmb100 and the weak little cable connection
that broke from the other side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back