Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 29, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #12,256 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis
[Tom Ishimoto] did help in the design process so he should know what he's talking about. I'm very tempted to pick up the TX4500 MkII now and put in that filter cap.

This sounds like a fun project. It's always good when you get the designer's blessing for a mod!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis
Do you know of any good sounding vintage MOSFET receivers that can be had for cheap? The VFET receivers/power amps seem to have exploded in price recently.

Sad. VFETs are cool. But MOSFETs are almost as good. Type in <mosfet> in the Ludoo Search Engine and limit it to my name. The receivers I like are the Realistic STA-2200 (60w/ch) and Kyocera R-851 (80w/ch), but I treat 'em like integrated amps and never use the tuners. Cheap is less than $75 shipped for the Realistic and less than $100 shipped for the Kyocera.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #12,257 of 27,158
I forgot to snap a pic..but in a recent haul by our resident ortho ninja master, aka Kabeer..I received a box with 3 very mint pairs of Fostex T10s. They are currently at the zen master's place to get some magical damping treatment.
I also received my second pair (sold my previous pair a few months ago) YH-100 fully stock so it can get the zen master's damping treatment.

At least he's got my HE-5 to listen to while he casts his spell on the new arrivals
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #12,258 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forgot to snap a pic..but in a recent haul by our resident ortho ninja master, aka Kabeer..I received a box with 3 very mint pairs of Fostex T10s. They are currently at the zen master's place to get some magical damping treatment.
I also received my second pair (sold my previous pair a few months ago) YH-100 fully stock so it can get the zen master's damping treatment.

At least he's got my HE-5 to listen to while he casts his spell on the new arrivals
biggrin.gif

Three T10s? Damn Kabeer! Nice score!

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #12,259 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
The receivers I like are the Realistic STA-2200 (60w/ch) and Kyocera R-851 (80w/ch), but I treat 'em like integrated amps and never use the tuners. Cheap is less than $100 shipped for the Realistic and less than $125 shipped for the Kyocera.

I found a couple others you mentioned like the HMA 7500/8500 and Sanyo P55. It seems tons of people on AK own the x20 series Yamaha amps as well as the TX-x500 Onkyo amps, but then again, there are tons of people on AK. I was just wondering if you thought any of these (edit: including the MOSFET amps you mentioned) are actually able to drive Maggies well. I'm thinking the scrawny little 30lb 35W/ch CR-620 will gasp and faint as soon as the speaker wires are connected.

Edit: The 35W/ch rating is into 8 ohms so I'm guessing around 50+ for 4 ohms, not that the Maggies actually get that low for most of the frequency range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnepan FAQ
How much power do I need?

We are asked this question every day. But, individual tastes vary so greatly that a definitive answer is impossible. We are using a 35 watt receiver in the lobby to our factory. Therefore, can we honestly say that 35 watts is all you need? For each increase of 3 db, the power must be doubled. So, 70 watts, 140 watts, 280 watts, etc. will progressively result in 3 db increases over the receiver we are using in our lobby. Personal tastes are "all over the map". We hear of customers that are perfectly happy with 25 watts and others using 1000 watts.(And there is no lack of opinions about power in chat rooms on the internet.) Without the option of listening with you, we have no way to give meaningful advice. The most reliable way to answer this question for your particular needs is by visiting a dealer. If you listen to your music at your normal volume, in a room that is approximately the same size as your room, with an amplifier similar to what you plan to use, an accurate power requirement can be determined for your listening habits. The amplifier used in this test should have a similar 4 ohm rating as the amplifier you plan to use at home, but it is not necessary for it to be identical to your amplifier. Anyone that has a definite answer to this question (without having met you) is probably telling you their personal preference.

A bit more interesting info, as people always seem to mention Maggies needing tons of power.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #12,260 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a couple others you mentioned like the HMA 7500/8500 and Sanyo P55. It seems tons of people on AK own the x20 series Yamaha amps as well as the TX-x500 Onkyo amps, but then again, there are tons of people on AK. I was just wondering if you thought any of these (edit: including the MOSFET amps you mentioned) are actually able to drive Maggies well. I'm thinking the scrawny little 30lb 35W/ch CR-620 will gasp and faint as soon as the speaker wires are connected.

Edit: The 35W/ch rating is into 8 ohms so I'm guessing around 50+ for 4 ohms, not that the Maggies actually get that low for most of the frequency range.

A bit more interesting info, as people always seem to mention Maggies needing tons of power.

Also realize that the Yammie is rated 20-20K, not at a 1K test tone, so it has 35W across the board and it peaks around 60W-65W as observed by me while driving a set of JBL 3-way towers rated 89dB/W at my best bud's house. My CR-620 flat out spanks my '88/'89 era Kenwood 100W/ch receiver and my buddy's two mid-'90's/early'00's 100W/110W Sony receivers. Far more dynamic and enjoyable. What was neat to see is when we had it delivering a constant 7-10W per channel the sound level was loud enough that you had to shout to talk to each other in a larger LR. Then as we increased the bass from "0" to "1", "2", "3", etc. the power draw went up about 10W/ch with each step until it ran out of juice at 55-57W. We lowered the over all volume and we could step the bass up to "4", but that was it. Now, at "3" everything in the house was vibrating on the LR floor and you could feel a nice thump on your chest, but it was too much bass so we dropped it down to "1" and cranked up the volume and just kept feeding it music for about 5 hours before we realized it was 2:30am.
beerchug.gif

I have Polk S4s which are little 2-way 6-1/2" woofer, 1" silk dome tweeters bookshelf speakers rated at 92dB/W and they pair up with the 620 into sonic bliss. Even with zero EQ, there is far more bass in the room than you think can possibly come from two little speakers. Of course, it took an hour to find that magical placement of the S4s so you will have play with your Maggie's placement and tweak the corner loading to boost the low octave.

That said, I'd still grab the 820 over the Onk, but that's just my personal preference as the 820 will be able to drive any of your orthos and dynamics while the Onk won't. I still intend to design a retro x20 integrated amp based off the Yammie schematics, but the 3020's 170W/ch schematic is quite different than the rest of the family and it uses a separate discrete op-amp to drive the headphones, so it will actually have less power than the lower units resistor networks off the output transistors. I just haven't had the time to get all the schematics printed on 36"x48" sheets so I can note all the differences and decide which way to go, but right now I'm leaning towards a 2020 clone with a separate output to hook up a stand alone 3020-based 170W/ch into 8ohms (200W into 4) power amp for guys who feel they must have mo'powa. Well, really, I plan to buy a used 202 off eBay, then use the tape out to feed the 3020 power amp, but others may not want to spend $350-$400 on a 31 year old receiver...

EDIT: Oooo, what about an Aikido preamp feeding that 170W power amp? Oh yeah!

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #12,262 of 27,158
Cheers, mate!
beerchug.gif
I'm glad I didn't win it now, since I know it's going to you. They're fantastic after damping from zero. Well, for a closed headphone.

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #12,264 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheers, mate!
beerchug.gif
I'm glad I didn't win it now, since I know it's going to you. They're fantastic after damping from zero. Well, for a closed headphone.

Looking forward to trying them out.

Now I just need to post up my other cans for sale...

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #12,265 of 27,158
Oct 30, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #12,267 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 820 will be able to drive any of your orthos and dynamics while the Onk won't.

Erk? the Onkyo won't? Really? How come?

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #12,268 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my favorite Fostex. See if you can get some really good bass out of them.

I'm hoping they are the older version instead of the MkIIs since the paper has the T10s listed, but it was worth the shot either way. Worst case, they go into custom ported wood cups next spring when my custom headband fabrication kicks into high gear.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #12,269 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Erk? the Onkyo won't? Really? How come?

Ok, to be fair, I didn't scour the web looking for a schematic. Did that Onk feed the headphone jack via resistor network off the output transistors like the Yammy? I guess I should have said that at least you know that the 820 will be able to drive any ortho out there. Hell, the RP18 is really damn loud at 4 on my 620. Grados do not get past 2 and the Sextett is happy under 3. Even a heavily damped YH100 didn't go over 4 and the KH-82 is very, VERY, inefficient and it's nice and loud at 4-1/2.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #12,270 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hoping they are the older version instead of the MkIIs...

The photo defunatley shows the older version. I think you're going to like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back