Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 21, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #12,166 of 27,185
Something else....

As I tested a foam baffle on the LCD-1 I noticed how the mid bass got stronger and the headstage got ruined. Maybe the headstage had to do with the mid bass, but maybe it also had to do with sound getting radiated in a circle from the baffle joint. (The leak was from the inside of the cups to the outside, not from the inside of the back to the inside of the pads. Or so it appeared to me.).

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #12,167 of 27,185
Not strictly ortho, but I wonder if that ergo amt on french ebay was sniped by someone we know.

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #12,168 of 27,185
While we're on the subject of recabling. Does anyone have a recommendation for a really good wire stripper that will consistently strip 24, 26, and 28 gauge wire without tearing it apart or just cutting through it?

My "automatic" wire stripper is supposed to be good down to 28 gauge, but it just pulls it apart. The cheap adjustable ones never stay adjusted and then don't work either.

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #12,169 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While we're on the subject of recabling. Does anyone have a recommendation for a really good wire stripper that will consistently strip 24, 26, and 28 gauge wire without tearing it apart or just cutting through it?

My "automatic" wire stripper is supposed to be good down to 28 gauge, but it just pulls it apart. The cheap adjustable ones never stay adjusted and then don't work either.

I use one identical to this

It's probably the cheapest stripper you can find, but I've found it's pretty easy to get a feel for it, and I can consistently strip large or small diameter wires without ever having to adjust and lock it, which as you say does not work too well.

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #12,170 of 27,185
Thanks Ludoo, I have similar ones without the spring wire and they do not stay adjusted at all. I may have to search for a better constructed pair of similar design.

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #12,171 of 27,185
iQEM - They're not broken, they just use old, outdated drivers and I wanted to try out a HP project anyway.
smile_phones.gif

Quote:

Well, you're going to use 2 drivers per side, so the volume of the cup is less of an issue and you can connect each side in parallel for a 60ohm load with 120s or series connect the 32s for a 64ohm load, so the differences are negligible once actual impedance is factored in. Ask if he'll match drivers for you for an extra $5 or $10, it will be worth the extra cost because you could end up with a 10ohm swing on the 120s and have a 4-5ohm delta between the two sides after paralleling the 120s. Series connecting 32s would push the delta even wider as I've seen them measure as low as 27ohm and as high as 36ohm in my 15 pairs. I was able to match a quad to within .3 ohms on the 120s, but I was just lucky as I had a lot of variation after that.

Thank for the detailed reply.

I know you'd get a 60ohm load if you connected the 120's in parallel but I thought if you connected, say the 120ohm's, in series the load would remain at 120ohms...
confused.gif

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion of having them matched - really good advice and I'm definitely going to see if the seller will do it.

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #12,172 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not strictly ortho, but I wonder if that ergo amt on french ebay was sniped by someone we know.

=( Did they go for a decent price?

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #12,173 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
=( Did they go for a decent price?

250 euros buy-it-now, iirc. Listing said shipping was only within france, but we all know people can be talked out of that kind of thing.

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #12,174 of 27,185
Damn, that's a good deal. I never check French Ebay so I would never have found that, but now I'm thinking I should... You never fail to amaze in finding good deals.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #12,175 of 27,185
Ditto X2, Once you get use to differences in the feel of the materials, it allows for the most control as well as being very small.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use one identical to this

It's probably the cheapest stripper you can find, but I've found it's pretty easy to get a feel for it, and I can consistently strip large or small diameter wires without ever having to adjust and lock it, which as you say does not work too well.

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #12,176 of 27,185
Oct 22, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #12,177 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
I'm still hoping that Fostex has a skonk works program going somewhere deep in the hive..

Skonks in a hive? Can this boy mix his metaphors or whut.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can guarantee that you'll enjoy the process and learn a bit about tuning the sound of headphones but that doesn't mean that they won't be a disaster. I say go for it.

Couldnta said it better myself.

The quad-phone SFI transplant won't be an out and out disaster but as a stereo headphone I can't help but feel you'd be better off using just one driver in a shallow enclosure. What you're likely to get using the old quadphone chassis is lite bass. But like JE said, it will be fun and you will learn valuable stuff. Once you're done playing with the quadphone you can just pop the drivers out and use them for another project.

Another very interesting multi-SFI project was Vaughn's Octodynamics. Smeggy tried dual angled SFI drivers in a single earcup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the search engine is not self-updating, I mean it could be, well let me set it up so that it is, at least for this thread.

Excellent. Thanks mucho.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo
Anything I missed these past few months?

You mean Berlusconi or the Triumphal Return of the TOTL Ortho to the Marketplace?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since ESS is slowly getting back in business in California, why don't you AMT headphone fans get hold of a replacement diaphragm or two and some neo bar magnets and make your own Ergo-style AMT headphones? From Duggeh's photos, it looks like a standard ESS diaphragm.

Quote:

Thanks Ludoo, I have similar ones without the spring wire and they do not stay adjusted at all.

It takes practice, but even a cheapie will work. You need the spring, though. You develop a feel for just how hard you need to close the tool until it just bites into the insulation, then you pull hard and the insulation snaps right off.

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #12,178 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean Berlusconi or the Triumphal Return of the TOTL Ortho to the Marketplace?

Wish I could miss our splendid chief, it's time he decided to retire and enjoy his court of starlettes and sycophants with a bit of privacy.

As for TOTL orthos, I was chatting with Kabeer yesterday and remembered an email Tony and I sent Fang almost two years ago, asking him to develop an ortho phone. Who knows, we might even have started that ball rolling.
smily_headphones1.gif
Now if only they were not so expensive...

And going a bit OT, I fell in love with (vintage) digital: I managed to find an oldish Pentax *ist D and am building a nice stash of cheap, wonderful manual focus lenses. And shooting with them, of course. Pentax is to photography what Yamaha is to headphones.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #12,179 of 27,185
I was kinda in hiatus from headphone and equipment related stuff for some time now. Daycare, kid getting sick and getting me sick plus work and all that other stuff cut my energy and desire to expend short mainly just leaving me to listening to music occasionally to relax from all this hassle. A friend of mine gave me a kick start kinda. He need an amp to build his new system around so I donated my Sony amp and C.E.C. old school TT. He really like how TT and Sony amp sound with his KEF speakers.

This killed my PC/SACD based electret transformer box and ortho system. This one if you care to remember:

Sony%20TA-V7_TK33s.jpg

When I got a bit of free time I figured I rebuild it with a glory. This system now is centered around Luxman LV-113 a curious and very good sounding 70W pch integrated from the late 80's with build in 16 bit DACs and digital direct mode. DAC component in on a separate shielded board and amp is very beefy and well made, very nice.

Here some info in German:

Luxman%20lv-113.jpg

Speaker out drive all my transformer boxes effortlessly, and headphone out is very good at driving all type of headphones including various orthos. I am very happy with his setup. It is augmented by Dared MP5 for driving my omnidynamic speakers (Mirage OEM) and Stax box.
biggrin.gif

Luxman%20lv-113_PC_rig.jpg

Sorry for blurry pic, I might try to take a better one latter is there if you might want to see details.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #12,180 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I got a bit of free time I figured I rebuild it with a glory. This system now is centered around Luxman LV-113 a curious and very good sounding 70W pch integrated from the late 80's with build in 16 bit DACs and digital direct mode. DAC component in on a separate shielded board and amp is very beefy and well made, very nice.

I had the cheaper and less powerful Luxman LV-110 a while ago, and it was a decent sounding amp with a very similar design to yours. I've seen it a couple of weeks ago for sale at the store where I traded it for the Yamaha A100, and for 75 euros I was tempted to buy it again, especially since I sold the A100 for 120.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back