Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 10, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #10,966 of 27,137
Ok, thnks for that wualta, so my question comes again. Anyone know a list of all the mods (with pictures better, materials needed, etc) to make the mod easily?

I am willing to make a mod (better if reversible) to a pair of $70 orthodynamic HPs.

As I said before I am looking for lack on coloration. I want something that will color my music the less the possible. I don't want to hear very punchy bass, if there is no punchy bass in the recording. I just basically want to hear all the flaws and mistakes in the recording.

For example, in the album "The crucible of men" by Iced Earth, you have very deep and punchy bass, that in the album "Cast into fields of evil pleasure" by Illnath is not there. It does not depend on the headphones, because it is part of the recording.

The Phonak PFE whilst listening to this two albums deliver a great bass when it is there and doesn't deliver a punchy bass when it is not there. Some people said PFE bass was lacking (with grey filters), well Iced Earth's album didn't show me that.

I hope you get my point and you show me the mods I can do to my upcoming T50RP

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #10,967 of 27,137
I love my T50Rp..I believe it is probably the one headphone that comes close to the reproduction similar to electrostats. Fantastic detail with an even spread across the frequency spectrum.

Mine is unusually damped compared to others, It weighs about 2.25 times it original weight with all the bitumen , felt and cork I have it stuffed with. They do require a good amp to open up. i plugged them into my speaker amp through an adapter I made and was surprised at how well they scaled.

I routinely recommend these for anyone who asks for one in the under 100$ range and even upto the 200-300$ range. Now this headphone is true VFM.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #10,968 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, thnks for that wualta, so my question comes again. Anyone know a list of all the mods (with pictures better, materials needed, etc) to make the mod easily?

Someone may have already suggested it, but if not here it is: you can use the Ortho search engine to select all posts on the t50rp, sort them by date or filter them by user, and maybe include "damping" as an additional keyword.

It might narrow the field down enough to identify a few damping schemes for them. Smeggy was the first one to properly damp them, so you might start with his posts.

Jun 10, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #10,969 of 27,137
Thanks ludoo. I found this post: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5220171-post6569.html

EDIT: Found this one which is reversible: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3788649-post1744.html

EDIT2: And found what i was looking for
smily_headphones1.gif
: http://doctorhead.ru/catalogue/?i=123

Fostex-T50-RP-500.gif
Great sucess

I think that is a bit overdone. And it is not reversible, which is bad (for me). I saw somewhere people just adding more dumping material without sticking it anywhere. Maybe that helps too.

I have this foam from Grado that maybe cutting a thing slice in some shape could help with the damping (plus giving a nice smell
biggrin.gif
).

I hope mine arrive well from the ebay seller. Are they really as comfortable as some people say (for long listening periods?)

EDIT3: Oh yeah didn't really notice that it had a 1/4'' jack, which is good as it doesn't need a dedicated amp like Stax electrostats. Hmmm starting to think this orthos are a great bang for the buck. Now I can't wait to get mine ^^

Jun 10, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #10,970 of 27,137
Quote:

Thanks ludoo. I found this post: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5220171-post6569.html

EDIT: Found this one which is reversible: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3788649-post1744.html

EDIT2: And found what i was looking for
smily_headphones1.gif
: FOSTEX*T 50 RP*/*FOSTEX T50RP / FOSTEX T50 RP*/*Íàóøíèêè è ãàðíèòóðû â èíòåðíåò-ìàãàçèíå Doctorhead.Ru / Íàóøíèêè äëÿ äîìà è îôèñà / Ñ ÷àñòè÷íîé øóìîèçîëÿöèåé / FOSTEX T 50 RP

Fostex-T50-RP-500.gif
Great sucess

I think that is a bit overdone. And it is not reversible, which is bad (for me). I saw somewhere people just adding more dumping material without sticking it anywhere. Maybe that helps too.

I have this foam from Grado that maybe cutting a thing slice in some shape could help with the damping (plus giving a nice smell
biggrin.gif
).

I hope mine arrive well from the ebay seller. Are they really as comfortable as some people say (for long listening periods?)

EDIT3: Oh yeah didn't really notice that it had a 1/4'' jack, which is good as it doesn't need a dedicated amp like Stax electrostats. Hmmm starting to think this orthos are a great bang for the buck. Now I can't wait to get mine ^^

You can try this one first, simple and fully reversible:

T50RP_m2.jpg

Jun 10, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #10,971 of 27,137
Jun 10, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #10,972 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my T20v2 a lot as well. Very good headphone with a very simple mod. I would go as far as to say that there are my favorite Fostex headphones at the moment, out of T20v2, T30, T50v2 and T50RP, because they don't do anything particularity wrong and do a lot of things very right.

Faust2D, I saw this comment you made a few months ago. Do you still think the T20v2 i better than T50RP (new)?

Of the other members who have both, which one you prefer?

Just trying to see if I chose good...
beerchug.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #10,973 of 27,137
Quote:

By "blue" felt you mean this felt? Felt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And is that mod something like this?:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3799117-post1771.html

Quote:

Faust2D, I saw this comment you made a few months ago. Do you still think the T20v2 i better than T50RP (new)?

Of the other members who have both, which one you prefer?

Just trying to see if I chose good...
beerchug.gif

Blue and black were two kinds of felt that we discussed here so I just used that terminology. Blue is synthetic felt of medium density and back is very dense felt that does not let a lot of air through. You can go to local fabric store and buy some scrap felt of various density and test which one you like best.

I like T50RP a lot, but T20v2 is a bit warmer and IMHO has nicer mids, at the same time it less linear it seems and not as detailed. I think technically T50RP is better, but I like that mids coloration on my T20v2
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #10,975 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay ericj 1K! I second his thoughts on Bullseye's question-- when the factory stock T50RP arrives, even with the new pads you won't have a poor man's electrostat, not without a little work, but it is surprisingly little, and what you'll end up with is a headphone that approaches electrostat clarity and coherence. No surprise there; they're both planars. Electrostatic drive is more uniform and the diaphragm is much less massive, and a 'stat can be scaled up more easily without incurring a weight/comfort penalty. But a good stat goes for at least $300 and presents a challenge even to dedicated amps, where the isodynamic presents a simple load-- it just needs more power than the average dynamic.

We don't expect you to jump up and down, but I think you'll recognize that a lot of performance can be had for not much money. We can promise that the headphone will be very competent technically. What we can't promise is that you'll like it.

Coherence can be better with orthos than 'stats, at least in part due to the much thicker/heavier diaphragm, which is also why they need to be damped much harder to gain clarity, which, on the other hand, is much more difficult to get to approach to 'stats level. I never got my T50RP to sound as good as I wanted, but it was no slouch. I just gave up on it after only a few iterations of modding, since I didn't see how to make it more towards my tastes without more drastic alterations. I'm still interested in the T40RP. Some day I might actually buy a pair.

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #10,976 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once someone buys my damn 240df I am picking up a t50rp to have some fun with.

Well, i wanted to try the Diffuse Field HPs, but right now I spent quite some money and can't allow myself to keep spending more. Good luck selling it

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #10,977 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once someone buys my damn 240df I am picking up a t50rp to have some fun with.

Matt

Let me see how the T50RPs sound with the scheme F2D posted, but personally, I prefer the T20s I received from you in their stock form over my lightly damped T50s. As an certified AKGholic, I just might have to trade you for your 240df. Can you send me some pics?

Jun 10, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #10,978 of 27,137
My friend is coming over tonight with a camera. I like the way the headphones sound but want to try modding orthos more. That and I have an sextett EP that needs parts here that I want to play with which will mean I have heard every type of sextett we have a name for. Now I just need to get my STax set up working and I will be happy. Pics later tonight.

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #10,980 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blue and black were two kinds of felt that we discussed here so I just used that terminology. Blue is synthetic felt of medium density and back is very dense felt that does not let a lot of air through. You can go to local fabric store and buy some scrap felt of various density and test which one you like best.

I like T50RP a lot, but T20v2 is a bit warmer and IMHO has nicer mids, at the same time it less linear it seems and not as detailed. I think technically T50RP is better, but I like that mids coloration on my T20v2
biggrin.gif

F2D

How thick was your cotton layer? I have cotton batting that is probably 1/16" maybe 1/8" thick, but I just stack layers so I wasn't sure how thick your cotton layer was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back