Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 9, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #10,951 of 27,137
And how much is "that much less" in USD?

EDIT: Basically what price is a good one to get the T50RP?

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #10,953 of 27,137
Wow, so basically at that price you are getting a good HP with flat response that delivers a sound similar to electrostats?

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #10,954 of 27,137
there's a ebay seller selling them for $70 shipped. which is a fair price, would be especially nice if MS live/bing cashback would start up again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #10,955 of 27,137
Yeah, just bought it from him. Shame that buying it to europe costs shipping (no free shipping :/), however with the currency €/$ I get a nice price.

What do you mean by MS live/bing cashback? What does it mean?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #10,956 of 27,137
oh, Microsoft's live or bing search engine use to have a percentage cashback offer and at times went as high as 25% to 35% on "Buy It Now" ebay purchases. but the promotion was only good in the United States.
frown.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #10,957 of 27,137
Lucky USA citizens. You have your products much cheaper than we Europeans...
smily_headphones1.gif

Will report back once I get my Fostex T50RP

Jun 9, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #10,959 of 27,137
I believe those mods are somewhere lost in this 731 page thread, no? If I can really get a flatter response that way I might give it a shot.

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #10,960 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe those mods are somewhere lost in this 731 page thread, no? If I can really get a flatter response that way I might give it a shot.

Yes. That's why the good people here should post their mods on the wikiphonia.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #10,961 of 27,137
I had a little free time this afternoon, so I revisited my YH3s dampening and pads. I peeled off the old pads and removed the felt and tape from the driver, per DAC's mods to his Duals. The ESW9 pads will mount to the YH3 cups with the piece that normally goes over the lip of the ESW9s wrapping around the OD of the YH3 cup. The pad is much more open in the ID so no holes are blocked. The only dampening I have now is the cotton and FG and it's overdamped this way with the ESW9 pads. Sound stage did improve a bit, but I'm going to trim back the cotton rings more to open the vents even more. The dampening is nice and tight behind the driver, so I think it will still force the sound through the FG "egg yolk" into the cotton surround and out the vents.

After that, I'm not going to do too much more until I get a new Mogami cable made for them. I don't really want to use SPC now as the old pads were the culprit to the missing highs.

I'm also going to remove the tape off the YH100s and see if that's final tweak they needed.

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #10,962 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, so basically at that price you are getting a good HP with flat response that delivers a sound similar to electrostats?

That's the idea with orthos in general. The sound is not precisely stat-like -- most 'stats have highs that orthos with their heavier planes can't entirely mimic, but many orthos have better, deeper, and punchier bass than all but the best 'stats.

There is a level of clarity available with planar designs that is all but impossible to achieve with dynamic designs.

There are tradeoffs, of course, and ortho headphones almost never sound as good as they could right from the factory - we usually have to modify them. It's worth it.

Oh, by the way, this is my 1000th post to this thread. Woohoo!

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #10,965 of 27,137
Yay ericj 1K! I second his thoughts on Bullseye's question-- when the factory stock T50RP arrives, even with the new pads you won't have a poor man's electrostat, not without a little work, but it is surprisingly little, and what you'll end up with is a headphone that approaches electrostat clarity and coherence. No surprise there; they're both planars. Electrostatic drive is more uniform and the diaphragm is much less massive, and a 'stat can be scaled up more easily without incurring a weight/comfort penalty. But a good stat goes for at least $300 and presents a challenge even to dedicated amps, where the isodynamic presents a simple load-- it just needs more power than the average dynamic.

We don't expect you to jump up and down, but I think you'll recognize that a lot of performance can be had for not much money. We can promise that the headphone will be very competent technically. What we can't promise is that you'll like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back