Orthodynamic Roundup
May 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #10,711 of 27,171
Hi there! Another Q regarding Fostex T20
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you think it is possible that T20v2 is available to buy nowdays? I found few on-line shops with pictures of v2 and from one of them I received answer they apparently do not have mkII but just T20 version.
Do you know when the mkII version replaced the v2?

May 25, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #10,712 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sim1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you think it is possible that T20v2 is available to buy nowdays? I found few on-line shops with pictures of v2 and from one of them I received answer they apparently do not have mkII but just T20 version.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about buying an old NOS T20v2 from online music sources. When I was looking about a month ago, I emailed two of the lowest priced vendors listed on Google's merchandise engine that were suggesting that they were selling older versions (the prices listed were around $50 for a set). I asked specifically whether the seller would clarify which version of the RP they were selling. What I encountered was a total lack of response from each of the businesses I contacted: they either did not know, or they had no inclination to clarify the issue.

I think that the T20v2s that show up infrequently on Ebay remain the best source of supply. I'm happy to be corrected (and will take note of any better suppliers).

May 25, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #10,713 of 27,171
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

On the other hand, if the shops that you've contacted *actually have the original T20 version*, there are a number of people here who would be interested in getting access to the oldest version of these phones. Kind regards.

May 25, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #10,714 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand, if the shops that you've contacted *actually have the original T20 version*, there are a number of people here who would be interested in getting access to the oldest version of these phones. Kind regards.

Well you must be right, It is too beautifull to be truth... And though they said they had not mkII version... but actually on the product page is says T20RP. RP means actually this is mkII... As T20v2 was in fact no RP.
A link for interested in -> click here.

May 26, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #10,715 of 27,171
Quote:

Well you must be right, It is too beautifull to be truth... And though they said they had not mkII version... but actually on the product page is says T20RP. RP means actually this is mkII... As T20v2 was in fact no RP.
A link for interested in -> click here.

Sim1, if you haven't seen this, it is very good to ponder: Fostex orthodynamic headphone identification guide . Cheers!

May 26, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #10,716 of 27,171
If I want to try the micropore tape on the back of a driver like the T10, but I don't want to over dampen it, is it better to make a disc in the center or a donut?

May 26, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #10,717 of 27,171
my limited experience - the donut has worked best for non-center riveted drivers and the "anti-donut" for the center rivet. "anti-donut" = outer ring with smaller center ring leaving an open ring between the 2.. dB

May 26, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #10,719 of 27,171
Thanks Don, I'll try that on the T10s and on the YH100s.

Another question. I believe ericj mentioned 100 pages back or so (LOL!) that he had a link to sewing or whip finishing the nylon multifilament. Can Eric or anyone else post the link? TIA.

May 27, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #10,720 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scared to open yours in case some hippy trousers fly out?
tongue.gif

Well this round edged thing is your assumption, I think it more than likely doesnt exist in real life. You now have seen two square holed drivers with sharp edges. Most likely that Yamaha diagram is just some rough artist work, and it was supposed to be straight. Thats my guess anyway.

As for the hole numbers, what kinda significance would you assume (or now know) this has?

It would mean lower distortion. not to mention the fact that just because you cant audibly hear above 22050hz, doesnt mean that you cant perceive any frequencies above that.

May 28, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #10,721 of 27,171
Couple of teaser pics:

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

rythmndevils' YH-100s are getting new shoes!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Had to pull them off and mod them a bit more, the CA glue is setting and I'll put the pads on the adapters tomorrow, then rubber cement the adapters with pads back on the YH100s and listen. I have high hopes that I won't have to touch Ludo's original dampening.

Then I'll make a set for my YH3s and KH-83s...

May 28, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #10,722 of 27,171
Boilermakerfan: not quite sure what your doing whats that blue stuff for?

New Stuff!
Everyone: If you remember a few months back I found someone developing new Planar Magnetic headphones. Well if you are attending the upcoming CanJam '09 in LA you will be lucky enough to see them for their world unveiling and have a chance to demo them.

I really hope someone does and reports back to us here in the thread.
The Company is called Audeze, and they will be at Catalina 2B. There should be some guys called Alex and Sankar running the stand. Say hello to em for me (and a shout out to the ortho thread!) if you get a chance to go there!

I am not sure if I am allowed to post the website and all the details yet....
What the heck I'll post the specs and blurb, it is free advertising after all
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audeze
HeadPhones

• Type: Planar Magnetic, Open Air construction
• Ear coupling: Circumaural
• Ear cushions: exchangeable, velvet finish for comfort and good isolation
• Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 20 KHz, usable high frequency extension 50 KHz
• Distortion: less than 1%, full output
• Sensitivity: 96 dB, 1 mW
• Output: 126 dB, 1W; 133 dB, 5W
• Power Handling: 5 W RMS, 10W program, 50W peak, 100 ms. Drivers can also be used as high
quality mid/high frequency transducers in two way or three way speaker systems (300Hz-50KHz).
• Transducer active diaphragm area: 5 in2
• Impedance: 20 Ohms, purely resistive. Can be designed for different impedance values in range up
to 50 Ohms.
• Input cable: 3m with 1/4" stereo plug
• Contact pressure: 1.5 N
• Self adjustable, comfortable Headband
• Weight: 250 g, without cable

Features:
Planar Magnetic Transducers which provide uncompromised high resolution sound suitable for the most
demanding High-End home or professional applications
Magnetic Structure - Specially designed self closing magnetic structure with high grade Neodymium
magnets. Lightweight, with uniform magnetic field distribution. No steel used for magnetic return path.
Acoustically transparent. Push pull construction provides absolutely symmetrical driving force with extremely
low distortion.
Diaphragm - Very lightweight, precisely stretched compliant film with conductive traces that cover more
than 80% of the diaphragm area to provide uniform driving force across whole surface, with extremely
large acceleration values for very fast transient response and life like sound reproduction. Mass of the
diaphragm is comparable to the mass of air it disturbs. Due to linear magnetic field, diaphragm is driven
with linear force resulting in negligible distortion, even at full output.
Strong, uniform magnetic field, large diaphragm area and large magnetic gap allow high diaphragm excursion
of 3 mm p-p for very high Sound Pressure Levels. Maximum output exceeds 120 dB.
Special acoustic damping material was developed to provide proper diaphragm loading of the rear diaphragm
output for excellent resonance control and low distortion.
Completely acoustically transparent earcups to prevent reflections of the diaphragm rear radiation. Open
Air construction enables small crosstalk between left and right earcup for improved out of head sound
imaging.
Large diaphragm area creates plane sound waves that enter ear canals the same way as it happens in
real environment. This dramatically improves sound imaging.
Left and rear transducers have matched sensitivity and frequency response within 0.5 dB.
Exceptionally comfortable to wear due to elliptical design of the earcups and ear cushions adapted to
the shape of the ears. Ear cushions made with velvet finish for extreme comfort and good sealing for
excellent bass reproduction.
Can be directly connected to stationary hi-fi components of the highest quality, in particular SACD, DVDA
and CD players. Due to purely resistive and linear impedance used equipment will always sound better
with these headphones.

May 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #10,724 of 27,171
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rythmndevils' YH-100s are getting new shoes!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Had to pull them off and mod them a bit more, the CA glue is setting and I'll put the pads on the adapters tomorrow, then rubber cement the adapters with pads back on the YH100s and listen. I have high hopes that I won't have to touch Ludo's original dampening.

Then I'll make a set for my YH3s and KH-83s...

that blue ring are there to replacing original pads or just for a spacer under earpads ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New Stuff!
Everyone: If you remember a few months back I found someone developing new Planar Magnetic headphones. Well if you are attending the upcoming CanJam '09 in LA you will be lucky enough to see them for their world unveiling and have a chance to demo them.

I really hope someone does and reports back to us here in the thread.
The Company is called Audeze, and they will be at Catalina 2B. There should be some guys called Alex and Sankar running the stand. Say hello to em for me (and a shout out to the ortho thread!) if you get a chance to go there!

I am not sure if I am allowed to post the website and all the details yet....
What the heck I'll post the specs and blurb, it is free advertising after all
tongue.gif

yes, i remember...Audeze ? wow, couldn't wait for teaser & impression about em...
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back