Orthodynamic Roundup
May 3, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #271 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats
we shall see how much that "perfect condition with package" $bay one will get bid up to. Always fun to watch....
very_evil_smiley.gif

kind of like the "antique's road show" you know....

And don't turn your nose up at a Realistic Pro 30 should one arise. Or, dare we dream, a YH-100.

May 3, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #273 of 27,185
The last time something even *looked like a T50 it went for almost a C-note.

I should know, i've got it right here . . .

May 3, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #275 of 27,185
Just writing to confirm that HD25 earpads are a perfect fit for the HOK80. I guess this would make these the perfect upgrade from an HD25 for portable use, except for the fact that these beasts require massive amplification to produce a full sound, and their black metal headband stands dorkily far away from one's head. I also recommend anyone changing the pads on an HOK80-2 get a spare pair of first series HOK80, as it is nearly impossible to open and reshut them (as you practically must when changing earpads) without busting at least one of baffle clips. Let's just say that this time I managed only to half-break one clip, which beats my last attempt. By one.

May 3, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #276 of 27,185
I would think YH/HP-2 earpads would be about the right size also. When I get home I'll get out the ol' plastic dollar-store calipers and measure.

As for those @#$! clips-- maybe the solution is big gobs of RTV silicone.

Also coming tonight are photos of the Damaha (ie, the Elektronika TDS-5M) from yfed1. It's an amazing copy of the YH/HP-1, right down to the plug. The technical question they raise is, why didn't they use drivers made by KWH ? Why import (or copy) drivers from West German PMB?

Interestingly, where Yamaha used only phillips-head screws, the Das use slot-head screws. Other than that, and the rubber ventilated head strap, the parts look interchangeable with a YH/HP-1.

May 3, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #277 of 27,185
Sennheiser has assured me - again - that they're getting a pair of hd25 velour pads out to me right away.

I fully expect to see three pair show up on about june 10th.

May 4, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #278 of 27,185
I'm awaiting information about the company that made these, but the model is TDS-5M and they were made by a company called Elektronika somewhere in the former Soviet Union. As you can see, they're an almost-exact copy of a Yamaha HP-1, though with a ventilated head strap and what looks like a West German (PMB) driver.

They're not damped but already I can hear very decent bass under the big midrange hump-- very unusual.

This example sports slightly oversized Stax SR-X Mk3 earpads (which, by the way, are nothing like the originals).

More photos later during the damping process. I think these are going to sound very good indeed.

Damahas-e_filtered-1.jpg

See the Cyrilic character that looks like the Greek letter Lambda? I think that means that's the left earcup.

May 4, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #279 of 27,185
man, I go away for a coupla days and things go crazy. I finally finally have time to damp the ATH-2, though there's no place within walking distance that sells felt
frown.gif
. Also, I can't find any egg carton foam for my life, though I have some other relatively open cell stuff in a motherboard case. Maybe if I wad it up... (it's pretty thin).

This talk about sponges got me to thinking. I have some magic eraser and some tile-groutin' sponges laying around. Does anyone suppose they're acoustically transparent enough to take over the role of 'spacer' from the egg carton foams? Might have to peel the rough grout scrapin' part off the back...... or maybe, MAYBE these might be a damping pad and spacer in one. I'll have to double check and see how porous/fibrous the scrapy part of the sponge is...

May 4, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #280 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm awaiting information about the company that made these, but the model is TDS-5 and they were made somewhere in the former Soviet Union. As you can see, they're an almost-exact copy of a Yamaha HP-1, though with a ventilated head strap and a West German (PMB) driver.

They're not damped but already I can hear very decent bass under the big midrange hump-- very unusual.

This example sports Audiocubes replacement Stax SR-X Mk3 earpads.

More photos later during the damping process. I think these are going to sound very good indeed.

How do we know it's an MB driver and not just a copy? And is it the bigger 55mm MB driver (a la PMB100) or the smaller one from the PMB4? Very interesting. Now we can find out how the MB driver stacks up against the Yamaha in the same housing. I dig the lightish brown cable.

May 4, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #281 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo
man, I go away for a coupla days and things go crazy. I finally finally have time to damp the ATH-2, though there's no place within walking distance that sells felt . Also, I can't find any egg carton foam for my life, though I have some other relatively open cell stuff in a motherboard case. Maybe if I wad it up... (it's pretty thin).

Don't worry about the eggy foam-- I only suggested that because you have a dome-shaped volume to fill. If you're handy with scissors, you could do it by stacking progressively smaller discs. As long as it's open-cell. No craft shops or fabric stores within walking distance? Ask if they'll mail you a square foot. Take a bus. Hitch a ride on a passing flying saucer. Ask all domestic-looking girls within walking distance. Or...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo
This talk about sponges got me to thinking. I have some magic eraser and some tile-groutin' sponges laying around. Does anyone suppose they're acoustically transparent enough to take over the role of 'spacer' from the egg carton foams? Might have to peel the rough grout scrapin' part off the back...... or maybe, MAYBE these might be a damping pad and spacer in one. I'll have to double check and see how porous/fibrous the scrapy part of the sponge is...

Hm. You're on your own here, but it could work. I have the gut feeling (and only that) that the sponge is too closed and the scrapy part is too open for what you're intending, but I haven't tried it. Got an old polyester-stuffed pillow? dryer lint? fake chamois?

Keep us posted, take photos, etc. You're breaking new ground.

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
How do we know it's an MB driver and not just a copy?

Good point. It looks like the PMB in yfed1's photos, but... which brings up the parallel question: Why did they use/copy the West German design when there was already a decent East German version (which was already a copy of sorts) in the HOK80-2?

Quote:

And is it the bigger 55mm MB driver (a la PMB100)?

This one's the 55mm.

Quote:

Very interesting. Now we can find out how the MB driver stacks up against the Yamaha in the same housing.

Yeah. I think it'll do pretty well in the finals, but I've been stupidly wrong before. Keep in mind that if this is a copy, it may not sound anything like a genuine PMB driver.

Quote:

I dig the lightish brown cable.

This will make a fascinating comparison to the HOK. Out of the box, it's the HOK all the way (a catchy slogan alas too late to help market it). The HOK is either brightish or bass-lite depending on how you approach it, but it's close enough to flat and has enough other virtues to be a good 'phone just as it is. Without EQ, the TDS-5 is very midrangey but like the Yamahas strangely enjoyable, at least for awhile. More to come.

May 4, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #282 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a smaller PMB ortho?? Did you write about it and I missed it?...

This will make a fascinating comparison to the HOK. Out of the box, it's the HOK all the way (a catchy slogan alas too late to help market it).

Well, communists were never great shakes at marketing. Take a look at the promotional material that accompanied the HOK series:

Actually, come to think of it that's some of the best packaging I've ever seen. Note how in my composition the girl with the HOK80 gazes longingly at the superior headphones and western lipstick of the girl with the HOK80-2. Why communism failed: great headphones, but no amps powerful enough to drive them. Well, one reason it failed.

And the smaller PMB ortho is the one in Kirk's Burwen PMB6, which is 44mm, just like the HOK80 driver.

(edited out s******y commentary)

May 4, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #283 of 27,185
Quote:

Note how in my composition the girl with the HOK 80 gazes longingly at the superior headphones and western lipstick of the girl with the HOK80-2.

Great photo, and an even better psychohistorical note!

I like the cognates that still exist in German and English. Note that the lipstick'd girl is enjoying very clear mittens.

May 4, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #284 of 27,185
Those Soviet semi clones are pretty interesting. They must have sourced the frames from Yamaha or just outright copied them. My guess is that they were manufactured in China and the Soviet version sourced the same frame. The ball joint is the same as Yamaha I'm guessing?

May 4, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #285 of 27,185
hmm, I'll make it out to MJ Designs or Hobby Lobby some day soon. Gonna get a lot of felt so I can do these headphones and adjust the VTA on the Thorens in one shopping trip.

What about dryer lint? Or socks? You suggested I try stuffing either into my T40...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back