Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 8, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #26,431 of 26,436

RetroE83

New Head-Fier
miniDSP EARS arrived, had a complete brain fart, but seemed to have figured out the utter basics. Here's measurement of Chinese planars.

2021-6-3 Chinese Planars Left Right averages.jpg

They weren't creating a seal with the EARS so there was severe bass roll off. Fixed it.

Here is Arya and Chinese planar comparison. Arya's have lambskin earpads which takes edge off of sharp treble, ime.

2021-6-3 Arya vs Chinese Planar + baffle sealed.jpg

Really surprised YH-1's aren't more rolled off in lower frequencies... They are comparable to T50RP's kind of in measurement but don't sound nearly as bassy...

2021-6-3 YH-1  DR-ZX701IP average, right channel.png
2021-6-3 T50RP Sennheiser HD535, left and right averages.jpg
Great job on the Chinese planars! And yeah, I had a brain fart as well with learning the basics of the miniDSP :p

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #26,432 of 26,436

GREQ

Headphoneus Supremus
miniDSP EARS arrived, had a complete brain fart, but seemed to have figured out the utter basics. Here's measurement of Chinese planars.

They weren't creating a seal with the EARS so there was severe bass roll off. Fixed it.

Here is Arya and Chinese planar comparison. Arya's have lambskin earpads which takes edge off of sharp treble, ime.

Really surprised YH-1's aren't more rolled off in lower frequencies... They are comparable to T50RP's kind of in measurement but don't sound nearly as bassy...

The horizontal and vertical scales needs to be massively adjusted on these graphs.
Everything in red needs to be cut out.
At a glance, everything just looks like a flat line.

It should be adjusted to look like the 'stretched' version below.

1623165207205.png

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #26,433 of 26,436

khbaur330162

Headphoneus Supremus
Great job on the Chinese planars! And yeah, I had a brain fart as well with learning the basics of the miniDSP :p
Hey, thanks dude. They sound pretty good, but past two days I haven't been able to get over their soundstaging, it's just not projected in front of you like it is with my YH-1's, it's sort of hard left-right, almost inside your head. I have new earpads coming, maybe those will change things for the better, but fat chance, imo.

Yeah, haha, I was trying to calibrate the right channel with the SPL meter and was like "WHY DOES NOTHING MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE?!" and it turns out I had the ears facing me instead of away, so left was right, right was left, haha. Idiottttt. Trying to measure SPL in right driver with left microphone.

The horizontal and vertical scales needs to be massively adjusted on these graphs.
Everything in red needs to be cut out.
At a glance, everything just looks like a flat line.

It should be adjusted to look like the 'stretched' version below.

1623165207205.png
Ack. Ty for heads up. I tried editing the "Graph Axis Limits" but it's not really doing what it's supposed to? I looked online for a tutorial on how to do what you want me to do, but I'm not searching the right keywords or something, I don't really know what to search for. Is there an easy low down you can give me on how to do this?

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #26,434 of 26,436

GREQ

Headphoneus Supremus
Ack. Ty for heads up. I tried editing the "Graph Axis Limits" but it's not really doing what it's supposed to? I looked online for a tutorial on how to do what you want me to do, but I'm not searching the right keywords or something, I don't really know what to search for. Is there an easy low down you can give me on how to do this?
Sure.
Just click on the Limits button and add your limits.
If it's not working you might be using a bugged/outdated version of REW. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1623173301645.png

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #26,435 of 26,436

khbaur330162

Headphoneus Supremus
Hrm. Okay it works, just fiddly, imo. I was able to get something. Is that correct now? I adjusted the upper vertical limit to what looked right, and then set horizontal sides to 20Hz and 20kHz more or less, didn't really mess with lower vertical limits. Looks like your stretched graph before, imo, but Idk if there's something still "wrong" with my measurements? Please let me know if I can tweak further or if this is fine. Ty again, GREQ, for heads up.

Angel Hair.jpg

And comparison with Arya's again, this time with a little smoothing to make Arya's not so crazy.

Chinese Planars vs Arya + Fixed Limits.jpg

Grrrr. YH-1's don't look nearly as nice anymore, and holy imbalance. I HATE how the center pins on these drivers can rotate and torque the diaphragm... I have a feeling something happened to the left driver because there's a WRINKLE in the diaphragm... like visible through the magnet perforations... Can't be good. Sadly, YH-100's are almost worse, they measure similarly all the way down to ~100Hz and then the left driver starts rolling off even harder than the right, it looks terrible, but I never noticed through listening.

Omg... "Falt Pads"... Supposed to be "Flat Pads."
YH-1, Angel Hair, Flat pads + Fixed Limits 2.jpg

But look at that little bass bloom on the YH-1's @ 125Hz!!! Haha. Who said circumaural center-pinched ortho's don't have any bass? Even better with ~4dB's of bass shelf. And holy natural soundstage, batman, this is what headphones should sound like. :L3000: Go YH-1's go!

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #26,436 of 26,436

GREQ

Headphoneus Supremus
Hrm. Okay it works, just fiddly, imo. I was able to get something. Is that correct now? I adjusted the upper vertical limit to what looked right, and then set horizontal sides to 20Hz and 20kHz more or less, didn't really mess with lower vertical limits. Looks like your stretched graph before, imo, but Idk if there's something still "wrong" with my measurements? Please let me know if I can tweak further or if this is fine. Ty again, GREQ, for heads up.

Angel Hair.jpg

And comparison with Arya's again, this time with a little smoothing to make Arya's not so crazy.

Chinese Planars vs Arya + Fixed Limits.jpg

Grrrr. YH-1's don't look nearly as nice anymore, and holy imbalance. I HATE how the center pins on these drivers can rotate and torque the diaphragm... I have a feeling something happened to the left driver because there's a WRINKLE in the diaphragm... like visible through the magnet perforations... Can't be good. Sadly, YH-100's are almost worse, they measure similarly all the way down to ~100Hz and then the left driver starts rolling off even harder than the right, it looks terrible, but I never noticed through listening.

Omg... "Falt Pads"... Supposed to be "Flat Pads."
YH-1, Angel Hair, Flat pads + Fixed Limits 2.jpg

But look at that little bass bloom on the YH-1's @ 125Hz!!! Haha. Who said circumaural center-pinched ortho's don't have any bass? Even better with ~4dB's of bass shelf. And holy natural soundstage, batman, this is what headphones should sound like. :L3000: Go YH-1's go!
Soooooooooo much easier to read now :)
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread