Orthodynamic Roundup
Feb 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #21,197 of 27,141
Well hello all, I think this is my first posting here.
Well I got into planars with the Fostex T50rp, then the Hifiman he-400, and now on way to me is a pair of Yamaha HP2.
I do t think I can go back to dynamic

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #21,198 of 27,141
Quote:
I don't think I can go back to dynamics

Welcome to the Ortho Anonymous
buvons.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #21,199 of 27,141
hahahahaahaha. I cant wait to get the HP-2's in, and give em a go, seems like the HP line is worshipped here. I wish I could afford a LCD2, or 3, but PFFFAAAHAAAHAAA not on my current pay.

If I did get another dynamic it would be only a Yamaha, Shure, or some far out there brand that no one has ever heard of, and works magic with a dynamic driver. My next stop on the exploration train tho is hopefully a electrostatic.....tho I cant afford one.(or at least I havnt found one affordable.  

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #21,202 of 27,141
Put the HOK pads on top of the HP-50 pads. Upgrades the P's soundstage to what might be called decent. Sound gets a bit more trebly, but that's an easy fix. Decay measures much as normal.

The closer the driver is to the mic, the faster the decay, but for the ear the worse the sound. Not sure why Yama went with these flat pads, then. Looks even worse with the YHE.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #21,203 of 27,141
Question for you ortho guys. I'm really interested in a planar magnetic can for my next home phone (I'm looking at the fostex t50rp for its ability to grow with me. Or a he400 if I come across a lot of money). What I really like is the speed/clarity and imaging that orthos are said to have, however I have a problem... I like my cans slightly bright and I see most frequency graphs show orthos as having recessed highs. Do they take well to an equalizer boosting the highs or are they pretty hampered by their design?

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #21,204 of 27,141
Both my Fostex t50rp, and my he-400 take equalization very well. They can go very bright imho
Personally if you can pony up the dough, and don't mind the weight I highly recommend the he-400, but the Fostex are like a 4th of the price depending. The Fostex are excellent, but to me lack the high sparkle of the he-400 and the low end subbass rumble. Both are adequately able to direct drive from my iPhone 4S, zunehd and palm pre2. I do recommend at least a fiio e11 to get the most out of them. But they are no where near as power hungry as I thought. The he-400 are heavy tho, heaviest headphone I've ever listened to. Both headphones are as solid as a tank, and comfortable even with my super stiff spikes. One note tho, the Fostex stock cable sucks. I'm using just a aux cable from griffin, works fine. :)

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #21,205 of 27,141
Both my Fostex t50rp, and my he-400 take equalization very well. They can go very bright imho
Personally if you can pony up the dough, and don't mind the weight I highly recommend the he-400, but the Fostex are like a 4th of the price depending. The Fostex are excellent, but to me lack the high sparkle of the he-400 and the low end subbass rumble. Both are adequately able to direct drive from my iPhone 4S, zunehd and palm pre2. I do recommend at least a fiio e11 to get the most out of them. But they are no where near as power hungry as I thought. The he-400 are heavy tho, heaviest headphone I've ever listened to. Both headphones are as solid as a tank, and comfortable even with my super stiff spikes. One note tho, the Fostex stock cable sucks. I'm using just a aux cable from griffin, works fine. :)

Thanks, that's a relief. I'm always tempted by the he400 but until my fiscal situation improves drastically I can't justify them.
Does modding the t50rp bring it more in line with the he400? My wallet is pretty thin, but I enjoy modding especially if it can bring things up to par.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #21,206 of 27,141
I haven't modded mine yet I don't mod until I have a second pair as a template and a back up. I have heard with careful modding the t50rp can exceed the he-400 :wink: with the biggest improvement being the earpads, and packing the baffle

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/350_50#post_9212324

This thread can really help for modding t50s :wink:

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #21,208 of 27,141
Not to confuse issues here....but.... I have heard from more than one source now that the T20 is a better responding headphone. Is there any truth to that? I have never listened to the 20 or the 40 so have no frame of reference and am really curious about this.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #21,209 of 27,141
The only differences as far as I can tell are that the T20's have a more open mesh instead of felt over the cup vents, and no plastic bit over the screw that holds the headband to the cups. 

The T40 is fully closed. The T20/50rp are semi-open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back