Orthodynamic Roundup
Jan 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #16,262 of 27,185
I agree. It's been fun for me. Has it been fun for you? Of course it has.

Oo-- how about this: think of the sustained current capability of an amp as being analogous to torque in a car engine. Hah? How about that?

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #16,263 of 27,185
H, i if any of you are interested,  this is my attempt at open orthos,  drivers are from hp3's, they have lost a bit of their original thump and I will have to keep trying various felts to try and restore it,   because it was really good in the original cups with a different damping. They still sound good and accurate in the open cups, but the bass was really good. The main reason I decided on a transplant was for comfort, and these are very light and cool. Hopefully the attached pic works, and any comments or suggestions would be great. BTW has anyone seen these phones before,  as I have never seen any comments about them on headfi,  and searching for their product number yeilds zilch . They are over 20yo and are ROSS re2330 made in britain,  This, to me,  is the most interesting thread on headfi...... cheers

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #16,264 of 27,185
I see you still use quite considerable amounts of damping. Did you have a try completely without already? I quite liked the HP1 systems coupled with foam pads, with nothing but a 75% micropore sealing on the rear magnet.

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #16,265 of 27,185

Quote:
I see you still use quite considerable amounts of damping. Did you have a try completely without already? I quite liked the HP1 systems coupled with foam pads, with nothing but a 75% micropore sealing on the rear magnet.

Hi, yep tried holding the drivers up to my ears before installation, covering with fingers and felt,  and found that with the center of the driver slightly uncovered was good. I then covered all but the nine center holes,  with a felt that sticks on furniture,  to stop wooden floors from scratching. This was almost sibilant and not enjoyable to me, There is a pic of the previous setup that I did like,  on page 1083,  and I am only trying to get more comfort,  but with a similar bass impact as I had before, I think I have micropore tape (hospital tape that breathes) and will give that a go before trying some other felts. thanks for your suggestion ....cheers

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #16,266 of 27,185
I've just put the micropore'd HP1 systems onto some Superlux HD660 (the Dt770'2003 lookalike) baffles, and equipped that with various Beyer pads. The results were very promising, the sound is as rich and exciting as with simple HD414 foam pads, but the treble gets tamed, and you get much more airyness.

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #16,268 of 27,185
Yep, the headband is the only thing of interest with these cans, as that is the only thing unavailable at the Beyer spare parts online store. Got a pair for 39€ incl. inland shipping at german ebay. Otherwise, you pay 50ish (e.g. at Thomann.de).  I've heared rumours that this headband/housing design will be continued in form of the Superlux HD330. I bet that thing will sound even more awful than the HD660 when being used as headphone...
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #16,269 of 27,185

Quote:
I've just put the micropore'd HP1 systems onto some Superlux HD660 (the Dt770'2003 lookalike) baffles, and equipped that with various Beyer pads. The results were very promising, the sound is as rich and exciting as with simple HD414 foam pads, but the treble gets tamed, and you get much more airyness.

Yep I like some of the superlux range, the 660 looks a bit hot and heavy to me. I would prefer their akg lookalikes. Hey is micropore tape the stuff used in hospitals?

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #16,270 of 27,185

Quote:
Quote:

Yep I like some of the superlux range, the 660 looks a bit hot and heavy to me. I would prefer their akg lookalikes. Hey is micropore tape the stuff used in hospitals?

Nevermind google just answered the question

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #16,272 of 27,185

Quote:
Yep, the headband is the only thing of interest with these cans, as that is the only thing unavailable at the Beyer spare parts online store. Got a pair for 39€ incl. inland shipping at german ebay. Otherwise, you pay 50ish (e.g. at Thomann.de).  I've heared rumours that this headband/housing design will be continued in form of the Superlux HD330. I bet that thing will sound even more awful than the HD660 when being used as headphone...
biggrin.gif

Haha, you know the reason why I'm interested in those cans. I can't seem to find any store that carries them in North America though. I remember seeing one store that carries it for around $70, but thats way more than what I would pay for a single headband. :frowning2:

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #16,274 of 27,185
Any chance of seeing/hearing/touching them before you buy?

Oh-- for anyone tempted to use stick-on felt: remember that air can't get through the adhesive layer, so you're effectively sealing the driver with something reflective. The result will be screechy, to use the technical term. Zaphod, your HD 414-clone headset looks great. That's the kind of enclosure Yamaha should have started with, then tuned the driver to suit. It would have played to the driver's strengths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back