Orthodynamic Roundup
Sep 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #15,316 of 27,137
That's heavy, man... 
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #15,318 of 27,137
To be honest, some of those original sounds weren't worth hearing.... but of those that were, some needs restoration to sound as they were.

( And some don't need restoration of course and present that glorious planar sound out of the box. Great bass extending deep down, open sound, and over all a fine tonal balance. )

Of those cans that didn't have a memorable sound in their decaying state, some can be made to sound really good just by adding a piece of felt and some new ear pads. Why not do it and let the next generation enjoy the full potential of what was there?

Quote:
This topic might be discussed in this thread before... I don't want to remodel (dumping etc..) my collected old headphone as much as possible. I clean my old cans and just repair the broken parts. Many of them had been made dirty with smoking and dust. The number of old headphones with good conditions has been decreased day by day. I'm afraid that the next generation people wouldn't be able to understand what are the original shapes and original sounds of remodeled old headphones.
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #15,319 of 27,137
This little side discussion reminds me of the situation of one of my favorite cars, the 1936 Cord 810. Like many of the old ortho 'phones, the Cords weren't really finished when they left the line. The transmissions were a particular sore point. So now it's 74 years later. Do you push the car onto a plinth, stick a label in front and step back and admire it (which would be fine-- I visit the Cord 812 at the Gilmore museum regularly and light a votive candle), or do you want to be like Jay Leno and take it out on the highway to see what its designers intended for it? That last bit-- the intent of the designers-- is the important one. I think they'd want their work finished and for the 'phones to sound as good as they were meant to. Don't you?

In any case, all of the basic mods are reversible, so the question is, if not moot, at least partly mooty.

Sep 11, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #15,321 of 27,137
Quote:
The weight?
evil_smiley.gif

This isn't a naughty question, really, since it involves a basic tradeoff in headphone design. The only way to produce bass near the ear canal is to move lots of air, which for a planar means a big diaphragm and a big magnetic structure, which, until the next great leap forward in magnet tech, means heavy.

To produce bass IN the ear canal, all you need is a near-airtight seal and a driver whose resonant frequency is very low despite having one side operate into a small sealed cavity (that selfsame canal). It's no longer necessary to move lots of air, so the driver can be tiny and light. The tradeoff, obviously, is comfort.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #15,324 of 27,137

Quote:
This little side discussion reminds me of the situation of one of my favorite cars, the 1936 Cord 810. Like many of the old ortho 'phones, the Cords weren't really finished when they left the line. The transmissions were a particular sore point. So now it's 74 years later. Do you push the car onto a plinth, stick a label in front and step back and admire it (which would be fine-- I visit the Cord 812 at the Gilmore museum regularly and light a votive candle), or do you want to be like Jay Leno and take it out on the highway to see what its designers intended for it? That last bit-- the intent of the designers-- is the important one. I think they'd want their work finished and for the 'phones to sound as good as they were meant to. Don't you?

In any case, all of the basic mods are reversible, so the question is, if not moot, at least partly mooty.

I like the way you think!!  Good stuff!

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #15,325 of 27,137
I am, of course, assuming throughout this thread that the Yamaha engineers knew the 'phones coming off the line weren't what they intended. I'd rather believe that than the alternative. Real world, it's impossible to be certain. Let me have my fantasy world and all appurtenances thereto.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #15,326 of 27,137

Quote:
ortho ninja 
ph34r.gif
, Kabeer!! 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Gracias amigos.

I was wondering if anyone here knows someone who has the capability to machine a metal (alu or such) Yamaha YH-1000 strut (the struck is the just small pole joint between the earcup and headband), as my original plastic one has snapped.
For a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back