Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #902 of 3,729
I don't disagree with your bass statements.
Only on perception as a whole, as the pm-1 does not sound lacking in any trait, and that is impressive when comparing to these other top cans..

I could be more specific and say that the LCD bass to me was more "visceral" than even the Hifiman, to me in general.

The LCD3 is what I wanted before I herd the LCD X.
Now with these oppo I feel it strikes a balance that is immensely satisfying over whole spectrum.
For portable rigs it is closer to the LCD than the Hifiman.

Makes sense.  Again, I'm only speaking for my personal preferences and based on the graphs available certainly wouldn't call the PM-1 lacking in bass, though would have to hear the treble myself as the FR graph is only OK.  Can't speak to portable rigs and it's entirely possible the PM-1 may be the equal of the LCD3 from portable hardware.

Was hoping for a lighter headphone that could equal the LCD3's bass.  Just doesn't look like the PM-1 will do that for me.  That's hardly a knock on the Oppo - it certainly seems more than capable of competing in it's price range.

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #903 of 3,729

Makes sense.  Again, I'm only speaking for my personal preferences and based on the graphs available certainly wouldn't call the PM-1 lacking in bass, though would have to hear the treble myself as the FR graph is only OK.  Can't speak to portable rigs and it's entirely possible the PM-1 may be the equal of the LCD3 from portable hardware.

Was hoping for a lighter headphone that could equal the LCD3's bass.  Just doesn't look like the PM-1 will do that for me.  That's hardly a knock on the Oppo - it certainly seems more than capable of competing in it's price range.

Possibly the he560 would be more what you're after then. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #904 of 3,729

eek.gif

We'll see, challenge accepted though 
wink_face.gif

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #905 of 3,729

Depends on what equal means here. Hifiman headphones have a very different approach of bass than Audeze. Tight, fast and well defined vs. Rumble, extended and enveloping (but kinda sluggish).
The closest to that was the 500s (bloom, good extension) but i) it still wasn't totally there and ii) the 560s took the route of the 5LE instead (cleaner, tighter).
Wait and see...

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #906 of 3,729

I am hoping the he560 is the "poor man's equivalent" to the LCD X :wink:

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #908 of 3,729
Depends on what equal means here. Hifiman headphones have a very different approach of bass than Audeze. Tight, fast and well defined vs. Rumble, extended and enveloping (but kinda sluggish).
The closest to that was the 500s (bloom, good extension) but i) it still wasn't totally there and ii) the 560s took the route of the 5LE instead (cleaner, tighter).
Wait and see...

That, but the 560 also seems to have better impact and extension than the 500. So not just clean and tight [after the baffle fix and burn-in].
Seems like the 560 bass will be quite something, I myself am very curios about the whole package of course.
Well, in a few days or weeks 
popcorn.gif

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #910 of 3,729
I've heard enough headphones to make reasonable extrapolations from graphs.  I'm not saying anything negative about the PM-1, just that it doesn't seem on par with the LCD3, not being close enough in bass or treble output to have me interested.

I certainly don't consider the PM-1 being 3-6db down below 80hz to be insignificant.  The LCD3 will have noticeably more bass. 

As you also mention, both phones have the typical planar dip around 8K but the Oppo never recovers, where as the LCD3 does.  The LCD3's dip is also over 10db more shallow than the PM-1

Some of the rest of your numbers seem to be unrealistically favoring the Oppo.  For example, I don't see the Oppo leveling off between 13k and 17k.  Being 25db down or better is hardly :leveling off" in any kind of positive way.

YMMV, but these are significant and would be audible to most.  If you prefer the PM-1 signature, then that should be the headphone you buy but for my preferences, too much bass and treble roll off.  The PM-1 does have a significant price advantage and should be more comfortable for many, so it still looks like a good buy - just not for me personally.

I'll take a slightly different tack here. The PM-1 is not an LCD3 clone. That's the point. I loved the LCD3 when I had a long weekend with it. If it didn't cost more than my car is worth, I'd own one right now (yes, crappy old commuter). That said, I love the PM-1 More than the LCD3 for most listening, most of the time. It is precisely the differences you've pulled from your visual inspection of the sound of both that I feel as I do. Different strokes for sure. If I had not been I recipient of Oppo's generosity with the beta group, I would definitely wait for the PM-2. Definitely. The wood box and shiny metal is nice and all. Still, I'd take a bit of plastic or matte finish metal and a few hundred in my pocket over luxury. That's just because I don't have a setting to enjoy the luxury aspect. Only the sonic aspect.

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #912 of 3,729
First post ! Been following this thread.

I don't consider myself a "can man", but wanted to share.

Well, I just got these. I've had Senn HD800's, 700's, Beyerdynamic T1's and T5p's. I still like the Beyers better than the Senns, but the new Oppos are very very good. I do prefer the oppo over the Senns. Smoother extended bass, not as analytical as the 800's, but everything is still there. Very very comfortable and light. Driven through a Beyerdynamic A1 amp connected un-balanced to the Oppo105. I bought these for my computer audio at the office, and will continue with critical home listening with the T1's, to me the T1's take the cake over anything I've used in the past. Perhaps the Oppos don't match as well with the A1 amp. I have the Bryston amp and will try it later. These are very very good and will be a great addition to my computer audio setup at work. I think Oppo has hit another home run with these cans. Can't wait to pair them with their new headphone amp, set to be released later this month.

Thanks,
Scott

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #913 of 3,729
Nice first post and welcome!! 
biggrin.gif
  I still can't quite decide where to put these hp's mentally. Got to hear them for myself first. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #914 of 3,729
Honest post, welcome to head-fi. What a man can, can. :D

Nice collection for a non-can man! :wink:

You described what I was hoping to hear, I still think the PM-2 is a bargain which will make it a must try.

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #915 of 3,729
Thanks for the welcome. I've been enjoying these for the last 3 hours. Very enjoyable! I like the rolled off high end, they remind me of my Sonus faber Amati futura's. Trying to decide on which pads I prefer. Zero listening fatigue.

Can anyone help me set an avatar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back