Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #916 of 3,729
Thanks for the welcome. I've been enjoying these for the last 3 hours. Very enjoyable! I like the rolled off high end, they remind me of my Sonus faber Amati futura's. Trying to decide on which pads I prefer. Zero listening fatigue.

Can anyone help me set an avatar?

Click on your user id, that will bring you to the view profile section, underneath your empty Avatar, there is a link to add/replace the Avatar. :)

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #918 of 3,729
OK heads up.
I too experienced this odd bassy sound on oppo with another member tube setup.

I believe it has to do with impedance or something I haven't found.

Yet this is a portable dream.
Absolute clarity coming off my humble GalaxyNote3.
Sound is incredible compared to any other "portable can " solution.

The fact is I keep asking everyone "can you hear leakage from my cans?",
at one feet away and no one can hear it(!)

I take them off and I cannot hear them either(
But I put them on and volume is at 70% max (3 notched from top)
I realize that volume levels are relative but It's just to get an idea.

So I can hear outside 2/3 leakage coming in but not out..
So no one can hear my music(!)
and this is with the velours on

update just tried in a quiet room to simulate a library and no it doesn't isolate well but not that bad I would say about one third the amount of a open can like my HD800

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #919 of 3,729
I don't care the stated sensitivity, the low frequency drive capability would be better suited to transistors than tubes. SET's are not bottom dwellers! From what I gather, with no one else actually saying.... the PM-1 is missing the top octave?  

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #920 of 3,729

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on the significance of the 3db-6db down from 80hz and lower.  For me, that would be highly noticeable and a deal breaker.  I can only speak for myself - others many not be bothered or may prefer that FR.

Again, not saying that the PM-1 is a "bad" can, just that the hype train calling these the best planers out there probably could use a little less coal in the engine.

Do you own these headphones? Have you heard them?

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #921 of 3,729
  I don't care the stated sensitivity, the low frequency drive capability would be better suited to transistors than tubes. SET's are not bottom dwellers! From what I gather, with no one else actually saying.... the PM-1 is missing the top octave?

Some posters are missing the top octave, especially the ones who are making proclaimations yet have not heard them.

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #922 of 3,729
First post ! Been following this thread.

Perhaps the Oppos don't match as well with the A1 amp. I have the Bryston amp and will try it later. These are very very good and will be a great addition to my computer audio setup at work. I think Oppo has hit another home run with these cans. Can't wait to pair them with their new headphone amp, set to be released later this month.

Very possible. I have had iffy experiences with the A1 and sensitive headphoned (Denon AH-D600). That combo did not work well at all.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #925 of 3,729
I just think it would be a shame for someone to be swayed away from these great headphones because of negative remarks about them from people who have not heard them.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #926 of 3,729
  I just think it would be a shame for someone to be swayed away from these great headphones because of negative remarks about them from people who have not heard them.

Or comments from hearing them at a meet and making sweeping, all encompassing statements. Since they have had a couple days of run in, what makes them exceptional Dave?

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #927 of 3,729
  Or comments from hearing them at a meet and making sweeping, all encompassing statements. Since they have had a couple days of run in, what makes them exceptional Dave?

I listen at lower to moderately low levels so I may not have flexed the diaphragms significantly. For me, the PM-1's big draw is the top to bottom cohesiveness and sense of a solid whole, not a connect-the-dots combining of the parts of the frequency range. The treble enhances the natural timbre of the midrange without singling itself out or calling attention to itself by jumping out from behind the mids and shouting "I'm here!". You are not focusing on what the bass, midrange and treble are doing because they are of a piece.....which is what music is, right?  So if you want a breakdown of bass/mid/treble, you'll have to send me another headphone that sells bass/mid/treble separately.

I have read some comments about the PM-1 sounding closed-in or not very spacious. This is nonsense. If the recording has a sense of space, it is perfectly reproduced as such via the PM-1....try "Moon" by Foals or the bonus remix of "Flesh and Bone" by The Killers....the sound extends well outside the head and ears.

Add to that the sumptuous comfort and you have a set of phones you could listen to and enjoy music with indefinitely.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #928 of 3,729

I listen at lower to moderately low levels so I may not have flexed the diaphragms significantly. For me, the PM-1's big draw is the top to bottom cohesiveness and sense of a solid whole, not a connect-the-dots combining of the parts of the frequency range. The treble enhances the natural timbre of the midrange without singling itself out or calling attention to itself by jumping out from behind the mids and shouting "I'm here!". You are not focusing on what the bass, midrange and treble are doing because they are of a piece.....which is what music is, right?  So if you want a breakdown of bass/mid/treble, you'll have to send me another headphone that sells bass/mid/treble separately.

I have read some comments about the PM-1 sounding closed-in or not very spacious. This is nonsense. If the recording has a sense of space, it is perfectly reproduced as such via the PM-1....try "Moon" by Foals or the bonus remix of "Flesh and Bone" by The Killers....the sound extends well outside the head and ears.

Add to that the sumptuous comfort and you have a set of phones you could listen to and enjoy music with indefinitely.

Message received! Ortho's are quite adept at keeping the musical message intact, music cut from the same cloth, not patched or tacked together. Conventional dynamics (most) always seem to have an area (or areas) where colorations or non-linearity's attach to selected frequencies. Those deviations latch on to every selection played, my Alpha, and to a lesser extent, the HE-500 push past this. I'll have to put the Oppo and the HE-560 on the list I suppose. I have a Roxanne incoming so they can wait a bit
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #929 of 3,729
People should always post their setup along with their impressions... What good are impressions if we don't know what equipment they use?

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #930 of 3,729
Everybody chill, head-fi has always been about the deaf leading the blind outside of the sound science forum, that's what makes it fun. :)

The measurements made me lose interest, not that I had very much interest in the first place with no angled drivers and all.  It certainly seems like a moderately to good value if you take into account the recent price developments in the headphone world and that the Audeze and Hifiman competitors still have that DIY gene. 

I still bet on the Hifiman HE560 to deliver a more neutral headphone with better bass but obviously not as nice looking and finished to a lower standard.

What's certain is that's an awfully nice box. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back