Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #3,721 of 3,729
I've been using the PM-1 every day for 9 years. I've had it straight into Oppo HA-1 for some years, then swapped to ADI-2 DAC FS due to one channel of the Oppo taking a while to warm up. Only getting around to my first earpad swap now. Couldn't ask for a better headphone, superb build and sound. Can get a little pressure on the edges of the ears after around 8 hours straight is my only niggle, but I haven't been able to find anything worth replacing them yet. All these other TOTL cans are going for silly money these days and don't seem to sound any better? Certainly not £3k better :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #3,722 of 3,729
I've been using the PM-1 every day for 9 years. I've had it straight into Oppo HA-1 for some years, then swapped to ADI-2 DAC FS due to one channel of the Oppo taking a while to warm up. Only getting around to my first earpad swap now. Couldn't ask for a better headphone, superb build and sound. Can get a little pressure on the edges of the ears after around 8 hours straight is my only niggle, but I haven't been able to find anything worth replacing them yet. All these other TOTL cans are going for silly money these days and don't seem to sound any better? Certainly not £3k better :)

Mine are probably the same age, still on my first pads , in fact the entire thing still looks brand new, not a single sign of wear, not even on the leather headband.
I have tried 3 or 4 (much) more expensive heafphones as an upgrade but none have lasted. These simply sound great with most music, and are probably the best built headphones I've ever seen, from the indestructible latex foam pads to the meticulously finished all metal frame and smooth, consistend hinges, they put many headphones costing 3 times as much (Or more) to shame.

This should have been the direction for the high end headphone market, instead we get completely insane prices and poor materials and quality control.

May 8, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #3,723 of 3,729
Yes Oppo really did seem to get so much right. What a shame that Oppo nailed it, and then suddenly just exits the market. Sigh.

Jun 20, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #3,725 of 3,729
Hi everyone!

I'm a relatively new owner, having joined the PM-1 party less than a year ago. I had been using a PM-3 (alongside an AirPods Max) as my go-to headphone ever since I bought it when Oppo was shutting down. Like many PM-3 owners, I had wondered about its older and more capable sibling and when the chance arose to pick up a mint, largely unused copy locally, I jumped at it!

What a wonderful piece of equipment. The love that went into its design is readily apparent and I completely perceive the difference between the PM-1 and PM-2; the latter is a capable headphone whereas the former is a luxury experience. Just opening the box for the first time was an event. Since then I've been enjoying it but also learning to get the most use out of what I suspect will be a pair of headphones I hold on to for a long time to come.

I have all four ear pads and find a combination of the velour and "alternate" lambskin ear pads to be my preferred choices... mostly about comfort. Lambskin feels more comfortable at the beginning of a listening session, velour more comfortable at the end :) The ear pad interchangeability system is excellent and a joy to be able to use on a headphone of its era, although I tend to be nervous about wear and tear and would have loved to see a more sophisticated mechanism like the AirPod Max's magnetic clasps.

I have a couple of opens that I am entertaining and would love advice.

1. Balanced audio, pros and cons. Right now I mainly use two sources. One is the UDP-205 I was fortunate to pick up directly from Oppo (office was ~10 miles away from home) as things were starting to wrap up. I use it interchangeably as a source (movies, CD and SACD) as well as a USB DAC connected to my desktop PC. It's an inelegant behemoth, but the sound quality with the PM-1 feels outstanding to me via the 1/4". The other source is my 16" MacBook Pro which has a capable DAC and amp but only switches to 3V output at 150 Ohms; I've ordered an impedance dongle to add in some impedance and hopefully work around this limitation. Without it, the PM-1 sounds good and gets loud, but doesn't feel nearly as well driven as it does on the UDP-205. (Whereas I have a Senn 650 that is capably driven by the laptop as easily as the Oppo player.)

I'm thinking about whether I should explore balanced audio. This would be more of a learning experience for me than a specific goal, but it would appear to come at a price tag. I'd need a balanced cable for the PM-1 (Moon Audio seems to be the main option at $200+) and then I would also need a balanced headphone amp. Presumably, the UDP-205 could remain a perfectly serviceable DAC into that setup since it has balanced stereo output? I have an idea as to the price point of the cable but not as good a sense for the amp. I'd love to hear any input anyone has to share; my gut says "don't worry about this, there are other hobbies to tick off."

2. PM-3, does it have any role in a Oppo-Nostalgic PM-1 household in 2023+? I've loved it but whereas the PM-1 feels truly special, the PM-3 as a portable, travel & work headphone doesn't feel nearly as compelling. I have to admit the AirPod Max set feels just as capable musically, with far, far super convenience features including outstanding ANC, insane portability and world-class microphones. This is a PM-1 thread, not a PM-3 set, but I'd be interested to know if anybody else has both and is able to rationalize keeping ach.

Anyhow, I love this set and hope to keep it for a long time to come. I even bought a pair of replacement grills from Oppo since they're still available ("just in case"). :)

Jun 20, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #3,726 of 3,729
I recently tried the Meze Empyrean and then the Elites against my much loved PM1
Have to agree with the Meze were amazing and in the end I think the Elites had it for me in terms of extra detail. Now hunting down a pair.
I'm curious to learn more about how their products differentiate against something like the very engineering-centric PM-1. There's no local dealer so I'd be curious to learn more about their specific strengths.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #3,727 of 3,729
I'm curious to learn more about how their products differentiate against something like the very engineering-centric PM-1. There's no local dealer so I'd be curious to learn more about their specific strengths.

I still have my PM1 but I really should sell them ans they are not getting a lookin Vs my Elites.

I’d suggest following this thread below (or the one for the original Empyreans) but in short they squeeze every ounce of detail from anything your throw at them. The fact they are super comply is an added bonus.

I’ve recently added the new V shape alcantara pads. The add even more detail and “air” in the soundstage.

Not sure where you are based but if UK it may be worth going to London CanJam in August to check them out and have a nice day out at the same time!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mez...ybrid-array-headphone-official-thread.959445/

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #3,728 of 3,729
Hi everyone!

I'm a relatively new owner, having joined the PM-1 party less than a year ago. I had been using a PM-3 (alongside an AirPods Max) as my go-to headphone ever since I bought it when Oppo was shutting down. Like many PM-3 owners, I had wondered about its older and more capable sibling and when the chance arose to pick up a mint, largely unused copy locally, I jumped at it!

What a wonderful piece of equipment. The love that went into its design is readily apparent and I completely perceive the difference between the PM-1 and PM-2; the latter is a capable headphone whereas the former is a luxury experience. Just opening the box for the first time was an event. Since then I've been enjoying it but also learning to get the most use out of what I suspect will be a pair of headphones I hold on to for a long time to come.

I have all four ear pads and find a combination of the velour and "alternate" lambskin ear pads to be my preferred choices... mostly about comfort. Lambskin feels more comfortable at the beginning of a listening session, velour more comfortable at the end :) The ear pad interchangeability system is excellent and a joy to be able to use on a headphone of its era, although I tend to be nervous about wear and tear and would have loved to see a more sophisticated mechanism like the AirPod Max's magnetic clasps.

I have a couple of opens that I am entertaining and would love advice.

1. Balanced audio, pros and cons. Right now I mainly use two sources. One is the UDP-205 I was fortunate to pick up directly from Oppo (office was ~10 miles away from home) as things were starting to wrap up. I use it interchangeably as a source (movies, CD and SACD) as well as a USB DAC connected to my desktop PC. It's an inelegant behemoth, but the sound quality with the PM-1 feels outstanding to me via the 1/4". The other source is my 16" MacBook Pro which has a capable DAC and amp but only switches to 3V output at 150 Ohms; I've ordered an impedance dongle to add in some impedance and hopefully work around this limitation. Without it, the PM-1 sounds good and gets loud, but doesn't feel nearly as well driven as it does on the UDP-205. (Whereas I have a Senn 650 that is capably driven by the laptop as easily as the Oppo player.)

I'm thinking about whether I should explore balanced audio. This would be more of a learning experience for me than a specific goal, but it would appear to come at a price tag. I'd need a balanced cable for the PM-1 (Moon Audio seems to be the main option at $200+) and then I would also need a balanced headphone amp. Presumably, the UDP-205 could remain a perfectly serviceable DAC into that setup since it has balanced stereo output? I have an idea as to the price point of the cable but not as good a sense for the amp. I'd love to hear any input anyone has to share; my gut says "don't worry about this, there are other hobbies to tick off."

2. PM-3, does it have any role in a Oppo-Nostalgic PM-1 household in 2023+? I've loved it but whereas the PM-1 feels truly special, the PM-3 as a portable, travel & work headphone doesn't feel nearly as compelling. I have to admit the AirPod Max set feels just as capable musically, with far, far super convenience features including outstanding ANC, insane portability and world-class microphones. This is a PM-1 thread, not a PM-3 set, but I'd be interested to know if anybody else has both and is able to rationalize keeping ach.

Anyhow, I love this set and hope to keep it for a long time to come. I even bought a pair of replacement grills from Oppo since they're still available ("just in case"). :)
This may come late, but anyway. I haven’t read this thread for a long time. I’m also a happy owner of PM-1 and use it also balanced. Works well both with Ifi Gryphon and Ibasso DX320 with amp12. i just bought a Pentaconn 4.4mm balanced cable and voilá. I suppose the question is how much you are willing to invest. I’m sure there are also other great alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back