Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #3,707 of 3,729
Okay, my apologies for resurrecting a older thread but I am in shock how good my PM-1 sound with the addition of a few new components. My Hifi Rose 150b (www.hifirose.com) and the Singxer SA-1. What a delightful combo and makes me appreciate the brilliance of the PM-1 then and now. Wow! I still have the HA-1 from Oppo but decided to recently upgrade to the standalone Singxer SA-1.

IMG_1767.jpg

Oct 13, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #3,708 of 3,729
I enjoy my PM1 out a chord tt2 dac and chord mscaler nearly everyday.

Oct 13, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #3,709 of 3,729
Nov 15, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #3,710 of 3,729
This might be sort of off-topic(ish), but I’m thinking folks who follow this thread are the best folks to ask:

I bought my PM-1’s 7 years ago after a very long (and expensive) search through the world of high-end headphones. The PM-1’s sound signature is just right for my ears. I knew that I had ended my decade long search the moment I put them on. To me, they are magical.

They are currently living in my office, much loved, and going strong. However, I’d like to get something new that can stay at home, and has a somewhat similar sound as the PM-1. Since my last search, the number of planar magnetic models has exploded, and I’m not really sure where to start.

Since Oppo is no more, I’m wondering if folks have advice for an alternative these days?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 15, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #3,711 of 3,729
This might be sort of off-topic(ish), but I’m thinking folks who follow this thread are the best folks to ask:

I bought my PM-1’s 7 years ago after a very long (and expensive) search through the world of high-end headphones. The PM-1’s sound signature is just right for my ears. I knew that I had ended my decade long search the moment I put them on. To me, they are magical.

They are currently living in my office, much loved, and going strong. However, I’d like to get something new that can stay at home, and has a somewhat similar sound as the PM-1. Since my last search, the number of planar magnetic models has exploded, and I’m not really sure where to start.

Since Oppo is no more, I’m wondering if folks have advice for an alternative these days?

Thanks in advance.

I’ve had the PM1 for quite some time also and have been looking around for something new too.
My dealer has currently loaned me the Meze Empyrean and have to say I’m very very impressed with them.
They have just a tad more bass and a bit more fun than PM1.
However I’m waiting for him to drop off the Meze Elite which by all accounts is a lot more detailed and natural. Either way I’ll be going for one of these to compliment my PM1 though they are a lot more money which makes the Oppo seem like a bargain these days.

Nov 15, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #3,712 of 3,729
I too have the Pm-1 and they are still my goto for a relaxing listening session. That being said I just picked up the HifiMan Susvara and all I can is wow. They can be had around the $3500-$4000 on the used market and well below retail on the new market. Worth every penny.

Nov 15, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #3,713 of 3,729
I bought my PM1’s a year ish ago after having PM2’s and loving them. The PM2’s fake leather fell apart and I should have not been tight and just bought the PM1 first !

The sound is quite difficult to get with other makes and models.

I also have Mr Speakers (as was, name now changed I think) Ether 2’s which are almost identical IMO sound signature wise to the PM1 but not as well made with tighter grip on the head. Try them if you can as they are a quality sound and the nearest I have to the PM1.

Or just buy an additional but secondhand mint PM1?

Nov 15, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #3,714 of 3,729
Long fan of PM1 here, but now already move to other headphone.

In TOTL Planar, Meze Elite is my first choice to get the lifelike experience from PM1. Better through all spectrum, and throw large soundstage (the weakness of PM1).

For something a bit more mid-centric (the character of PM1), but with much better resolution, DCA Expanse is a good choice too.

Nov 15, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #3,715 of 3,729
Thanks all for the advice. I'll check out the Meze and Susvara sugestions. Also...

Or just buy an additional but secondhand mint PM1?

I've thought about this, but aren't they rarer than hen's teeth? I guess if someone here wants to sell your set, give me a shout in DM (and I'll also keep an eye out in the Classifieds). I won't hold my breath though :).

Thanks everyone for your insight.

Nov 22, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #3,716 of 3,729
Thanks all for the advice. I'll check out the Meze and Susvara sugestions. Also...

I've thought about this, but aren't they rarer than hen's teeth? I guess if someone here wants to sell your set, give me a shout in DM (and I'll also keep an eye out in the Classifieds). I won't hold my breath though :).

Thanks everyone for your insight.

I've had the PM1's for many years but recently my dealer loaned me the Meze Empyrean which I've been very very impressed with. He is also loaning me the Elites tomorrow so I can compare the two but will certainly be adding to the collection.

Dec 24, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #3,717 of 3,729
Hi all - new to the forum, so hope this is an OK place to post a new Oppo PM1 question!

I'm planning to buy either the Oppo PM1 or the Quad Era-1 - have found a lightly used set of each for virtually the same price. Can anyone suggest which might be better for classical music? Mainly large-scale orchestral and opera, but must sound great for chamber music etc. too... Haven't really found any comparisons of these two sets online.

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #3,718 of 3,729
I have had a set of PM1s for 7 years running from an HA1. All sounds great, and only have only had to replace a balanced cable and earpads. I have just acquired a set of Meze Empyrean Elites and am currently running them on the HA1 balanced output. Wider sound stage and better spatials compared to the PM1s. Larger ear pads in the Elites. I also will run them from a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M DAC and an RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #3,719 of 3,729
I have had a set of PM1s for 7 years running from an HA1. All sounds great, and only have only had to replace a balanced cable and earpads. I have just acquired a set of Meze Empyrean Elites and am currently running them on the HA1 balanced output. Wider sound stage and better spatials compared to the PM1s. Larger ear pads in the Elites. I also will run them from a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M DAC and an RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

I recently tried the Meze Empyrean and then the Elites against my much loved PM1
Have to agree with the Meze were amazing and in the end I think the Elites had it for me in terms of extra detail. Now hunting down a pair.

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #3,720 of 3,729
I recently tried the Meze Empyrean and then the Elites against my much loved PM1
Have to agree with the Meze were amazing and in the end I think the Elites had it for me in terms of extra detail. Now hunting down a pair.
I made the mistake of trying other HeadPhones beyond the much loved PM-1. What a slippery slope. Ended up with the Focal Clears and the Hifiman Susvara’s. I still love my Pm-1 for no stress easy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back