Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #871 of 3,729
That Headroom graph looks very similar to what I heard when my friend brought over his production PM-1's. They sounded very "dark". Of course I was comparing them to my Stax 009, 407, HD800's. So the PM-1's had a lot less treble energy. They also sounded pretty closed. The opposite of open and airy.

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #872 of 3,729
Well, anything sounds dark right after bright...

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #874 of 3,729
rolleyes.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #876 of 3,729
So thanks to Max134 i got a chance to try PM-1 with my home setup. I used X-Sabre Dac and CSP3 as well as modded SEX amp. CSP3 has 6N1P input tube and pair of Genalex Gold Lion E88CC/6922's plus RCA 5Y3 black plates recertifier. All music is either FLAC or APE using foobar with ASIO output. I'm using Voxengo Curve EQ because with it off music sounds dull and lifeless. So i was playing multiple tracks of different genres ranging from jazz to heavy metal but no rap or hip hop and the like. I tried both earpads but prefer velour ones because of better clarity of details. I was comparing to HD800 with Moon Audio Blue Dragon and Cardas Cable both terminated with 4 pin XLR. Also with SEX HD800 were connected to speakers taps instead of headphones jack. I prefer PM-1 with SEX over CSP because of more smother treble and details. While CSP3 has plenty of gain to drive PM-1 (you need higher gain level than for HD800) i heard nothing new or better with PM-1 what HD800 gives me already except smoother treble. I don't is it a bad senergy or just a tubes pairing with CSP3 but i will try to find it out when i will have the same pair of PM-1 for a few days next so i can try different tubes combinations.

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #877 of 3,729

Love your tag line.   It's right up there with 'When the Gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers'.

I like that.....sure fits when it comes to headphones 
smile.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #878 of 3,729
  That Headroom graph looks very similar to what I heard when my friend brought over his production PM-1's. They sounded very "dark". Of course I was comparing them to my Stax 009, 407, HD800's. So the PM-1's had a lot less treble energy. They also sounded pretty closed. The opposite of open and airy.

Yes.... 009, 407, HD800... All of them are classic example of super bright headphones. Pretty all other headphones are sound very dark compared to these of course.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #879 of 3,729
Yes.... 009, 407, HD800... All of them are classic example of super bright headphones. Pretty all other headphones are sound very dark compared to these of course.

Super bright headphones relative to super bassy / dark phones. We could argue all day like this on who's right.

Suffice to say however, if the pm1 doesn't sound closed in and muffled (could easily occur when you damp a driver like crazy to tame resonance(s) ), it could be a nice complement to these bloody bright phones you mention :wink:. Looking forward to testing the pm1!

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #880 of 3,729
I'd love to audition the pm-1. But I'll likely wait till the pm-2 rolls around before spending money on this line. There are just still too many questions for me. Besides all the questions that have already been asked, I wonder how durable they will prove to be. And also how well they will hold there value with resale. 

I'd be using the lyr with the pm-1/2 and even though at least one person has said there was no noise with this pairing, the lyr seems like waaaay too much amp for this hp. I'll wait patiently for now. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #881 of 3,729
I actually disagree with Beagle here, and I'm no longer going on prototype impressions and conjecture since I got the chance to take a pair home for an extended listen last night. As I predicted, they seem to be a natural extension of the HD650 in a higher price bracket, improving on its resolution and imaging while keeping its warmth and overall sound signature. There are a few small differences that could be seen as negative for many people, such as a mildly lighter bass weight and a generally different (slightly more closed) presentation due to being a planar, but overall I'd fully recommend grabbing a pair as an upgrade from the HD650 if you love the way the Senns sound.

Beagle has a different opinion, and some of that may have to do with source gear or just general listening impressions, so I'm not going to try to argue such a firmly held opinion. If I hear it as very similar to the HD650 and he doesn't, there's nothing wrong with that. Generally, my listening preferences are very different from him when I see him on threads.

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #883 of 3,729
New review : http://stereos.about.com/od/Headphone-Reviews/ss/Review-Oppo-Digital-PM-1-Headphone.htm

Thanks!
I am gonna borrow this quote from the review:

"So here's who the PM-1 is for:

1) The audiophile who wants the sound of a planar magnetic headphone in a portable, practical and comfortable design,

2) The enthusiast who wants a high-end planar magnetic headphone that has more powerful and present bass than the others on the market.

And who's the PM-1 not for? The audiophile who wants every last detail in the treble presented prominently."

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #884 of 3,729
New review : http://stereos.about.com/od/Headphone-Reviews/ss/Review-Oppo-Digital-PM-1-Headphone.htm

That is a very nice review. Now, it is making me less patient to wait for it's small brother the PM-2! :frowning2:

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #885 of 3,729
Thanks for the link, great read!

Do I misunderstand or did that review state that the PM-1 has a bigger bottom end, i.e. more bass than an LCD-3 !!??
Somehow I had the impression the PM-1's were less bass tilted than the LCD-3's....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back