Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 15, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #1,081 of 5,414
^ I've seen you post that pic and specify that you have two of the same model Oppo players in you rack.
May I ask for what purpose you have two of them?

I bought two the same as I am lazy. I have 1635 blu-rays in my collection. Half are Zone A and half are Zone B. Both Oppo's have been multizone chipped however to change zones you need to hit a sequence of buttons. I'm lazy. I have one set on Zone A the other on Zone B, then I just open the required zone player. Stupid aye. I get a lot of abuse for that. In the end tho it is the way I like it, also if one fails the other can carry on. :D

Well you could have just gotten a plain jane region A BD player and run the hdmi from it into the Oppo and saved yourself several hundred dollars.
Then again you would actually have to hit 2 buttons to change the input to watch region A stuff. :smile:

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #1,082 of 5,414
I ordered my HA-1 late last Thursday, Oppo shipped late Friday afternoon and I received them via FedEx Saturday at 11:30am.  That was regular shipping.  Can't beat the service.

I haven't posted earlier because I have been too busy playing.  I am now using a very simple setup: Oppo BDP-105 player, Oppo PM-1 headphones and now Oppo HA-1 headphone amp.  The connections are balanced inputs and coaxial from the BDP-105.  I use the balanced XLR to play SACDs and downloaded FLAC and DSD files.  I use the coaxial to input RBCDs bypassing the DAC in the BDP-105.  I have the optical input connected to a DAT deck.

First impressions are very favorable, the biggest surprise is that the RBCDs sound much better using the DAC in the HA-1 to decode the digital information.  I hear better bass reproduction on all formats.

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #1,084 of 5,414
I ordered my HA-1 late last Thursday, Oppo shipped late Friday afternoon and I received them via FedEx Saturday at 11:30am.  That was regular shipping.  Can't beat the service.

I haven't posted earlier because I have been too busy playing.  I am now using a very simple setup: Oppo BDP-105 player, Oppo PM-1 headphones and now Oppo HA-1 headphone amp.  The connections are balanced inputs and coaxial from the BDP-105.  I use the balanced XLR to play SACDs and downloaded FLAC and DSD files.  I use the coaxial to input RBCDs bypassing the DAC in the BDP-105.  I have the optical input connected to a DAT deck.

First impressions are very favorable, the biggest surprise is that the RBCDs sound much better using the DAC in the HA-1 to decode the digital information.  I hear better bass reproduction on all formats.

Yup! Agreed. :)

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #1,085 of 5,414
Well you could have just gotten a plain jane region A BD player and run the hdmi from it into the Oppo and saved yourself several hundred dollars.
Then again you would actually have to hit 2 buttons to change the input to watch region A stuff. :smile:

Custom built Dreamvision Yunzi + 3. The only one in world with chrome paint.

Dude. I bought a $26k projector. Along with 3 buttkickers, 2 SVS SB Ultra 13 subs, Marantz Sr7008, two Marantz 7055 power amps, Oppo HA-1 plus Senny HD700 and the two Oppo BDP103D's all this year.

Do you think I care about a few hundred dollars? Also for future information the Oppo inputs don't support lossless sound. So the second player input into the Oppo would be hopeless.

Anyway back on topic. I got some amazing gear this year and the HA-1 is the piece of gear I get most excited to play with. I race home from work every night waiting to play with this kit. :)

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #1,087 of 5,414

Very interesting indeed. Although they missed the one detail I wanted to know which was the type of opamp used. They mentioned they exist for all of the outputs, but despite mentioning very specifically the components used elsewhere like brands of capacitors and transistors...they didn't mention this which was a very odd omission.

In the HA-1 we are using the TI LM4562 OP-AMP for the single ended analog outputs and the TI LME49724 (interchangeable with the OPA1632) OP-AMP for the differential (XLR) analog outputs.

EDIT: Corrected a spelling mistake in the model number used for the differential OP-AMP

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #1,088 of 5,414

Also for future information the Oppo inputs don't support lossless sound. So the second player input into the Oppo would be hopeless.

LPCM works just fine. I run that into the hdmi input of my BDP-105D and get every bit of the lossless audio. :wink:

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #1,089 of 5,414
LPCM works just fine. I run that into the hdmi input of my BDP-105D and get every bit of the lossless audio.
wink.gif

Smarty,
 How are you connecting your 105 to the HA-1? Coax? Optical? Have you done a close AB between the 105 and HA-1 headphone outputs? I'm not trying to talk myself into buying one, honest.   ARRRRGGG!!

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #1,091 of 5,414
  Oppo HA-1 DAC/Headphone Amp:"Discrete" Output Nets Sonic Treat
Everything Audio Network - John Gatski, July 12, 2014

Nice audiophile writeup/review of the HA-1 to read.

Thanks for that link.  

I would never have thought to try this:

Quoting the review:
In my opinion, the HA-1 discrete analog path in the headphone stage sounds so good that I ended up using that output for headphone and as a line out to my various amps. With a simple audiophile 1/4-inch-to-RCA output adapter, the HA-1’s excellent, airy, detailed sound could be carried over to speaker listening. The op-amp enabled line outs are good, but the headphone section is exceptional — more space around the instruments, as delivered by 24-bit.

----

As a DAC/line output preamp for my Pass and Rogue Audio amps, the headphone jack was the clear winner compared to playing the music through the analog line outs on the back of the HA-1. The op-amp based line-out (balanced or unbalanced) does not quite have the same width and detail presentation as the headphone amp circuit.

I'll have to try it with my speaker amp...

Mike

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #1,092 of 5,414
I'll have to try it with my speaker amp...

Mike

Yes do. One of the reasons I bought it.

I also have the Arcam irDac. HA-1 is a lot better. Fantastic as a pre-amp.

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #1,093 of 5,414
OK, the HA-1 Just arrived!  Set it up and it's running for like 10 minutes...too early to say anything besides it's definitely bigger than one would think!  Look at it compared to the Musical Fidelity XCan!
More to come!

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #1,094 of 5,414
  OK, the HA-1 Just arrived!  Set it up and it's running for like 10 minutes...too early to say anything besides it's definitely bigger than one would think!  Look at it compared to the Musical Fidelity XCan!
More to come!

Interested in what you think with the HA-1 with the 800...

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back