Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #1,681 of 5,414
Thanks to Max134 I have HD800 moded exactly same way but using Vanquish cable (Draug 2 expected soon ) and also have HE-560 using same cable with appropriate adapters with all mods (thanks again to Max134 ) and very happy with the pairing. HE-560 is great addition to HD800 but not the replacement. If you're looking for something in between of both look for Edition 12 (heard Max134's pair with my setup ).

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #1,683 of 5,414
  Very nice. That silver Oppo is begging to go on that stand.

You are right. I will rearrange this.

I think, I have read the complete thread but not sure now if it was discussed already. The HA-1 accepts DSD (DoP) via its digital inputs (for toslink it needs a "better" optical cable). A very nice surprise to me.

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #1,684 of 5,414

I think, I have read the complete thread but not sure now if it was discussed already. The HA-1 accepts DSD (DoP) via its digital inputs (for toslink it needs a "better" optical cable). A very nice surprise to me.

No DSD through toslink unless it's converted to 24/192 maximum PCM first (which obviously isn't native DSD). Rear USB only for DSD.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #1,685 of 5,414
I guess, pics say more than words:

Tested with native DSD-files via the digital outputs from an Auralic Aries (of course DoP enabled in the Aries settings).
That even works with a Squeezebox Touch (firmware 7.8 something and LMS 7.9 on a x86 architecture or Daphile), at least via  coax. Not tested with toslink. The SBT must have the EDO-applet installed, and DoP enabled in the LMS settings.

More pics needed?
wink_face.gif

Quote: From the Oppo Support

DOP over digital coaxial and optical is something that may work, but is not guaranteed, which is why we do not advertise this feature on our HA-1. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #1,686 of 5,414
No DSD through toslink unless it's converted to 24/192 maximum PCM first (which obviously isn't native DSD). Rear USB only for DSD.

Yeah asked that question to Oppo when I first got the HA-1. I asked about connecting the Oppo BDP-103D to the HA-1. This is the answer i got:

Code:
 Donovan, You will connect with digital coaxial or optical for all audio sources except for SACD. SACD will require the use of the analog outputs. Best Regards, Customer Service OPPO Digital, Inc. 2629B Terminal Blvd. Mountain View, CA 94043 [url=mailto:Service@oppodigital.com]Service@oppodigital.com[/url] Tel: 650-961-1118 Fax: 650-961-1119

So I use analog for SACD. However you must go into the blu-ray players menu and setup all the speakers to 2 channel only no sub. Or if you get a multichannel SACD the surround sound is lost in a 2 channel analog output. I folded all speaker sound in the player into 2 channel.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,687 of 5,414

Tested with native DSD-files via the digital outputs from an Auralic Aries (of course DoP enabled in the Aries settings).
That even works with a Squeezebox Touch (firmware 7.8 something and LMS 7.9 on a x86 architecture or Daphile), at least via  coax. Not tested with toslink. The SBT must have the EDO-applet installed, and DoP enabled in the LMS settings.

More pics needed?
wink_face.gif

Nice pictures. Look smart in silver.

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,688 of 5,414

More pics needed? :wink_face:  

I stand corrected. Apologies!

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #1,690 of 5,414
HD800 anax2.0 moded without all the creatology foam which alters the soundstage, rather only on the metal ring of driver..
White carpet liner is used without stock black felt which dampen sound when using both..

Going balanced into HA1 with Cardas cable..

Thanks Max!

I really can't visualize your version of the mod, but it sounds like you've got only Creatology foam on the metal ring and only the white carpet liner on the mesh, right?

:xf_eek:

Mike

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #1,691 of 5,414
Thanks Max!

I really can't visualize your version of the mod, but it sounds like you've got only Creatology foam on the metal ring and only the white carpet liner on the mesh, right?

:xf_eek:

Mike

Look here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-impressions-thread/13720_20#post_10871492

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #1,693 of 5,414

Not a bad one either.
wink_face.gif

Nice review.... telling it like it is.  Great feature set..... great pairing with warmer or high-end rolled off phones like the popular planars, and satisfactory with picky headphones (read: HD800) when using an external DAC.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the encouragement. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,694 of 5,414

More pics needed?
wink_face.gif

The amp looks very smart in silver. Still waiting on mine to arrive, hopefully about a week away. Although I'll be mainly using it for vinyl replay I'm interested in dipping a toe in the waters of digital(non cd) playback. I really like the PM-1 and using it mainly with the Yamamoto amp for now, but have the Oppo and Audeze  balanced cables ready to try with the HA-1. My first taste of balanced playback as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back