1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by aamefford, May 7, 2014.
First

Back
101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110
112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121
Next

Last
  1. SharpEars
    If this turns out to be static discharge related, I would strongly urge people to use a powered USB hub like the compatible one I provided a link to in my original post which should be good for at least 2kV of isolation (some industrial hubs offer 4kV - 15kV of isolation but cost hundreds of dollars).

For more information about ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) levels, see the table at the bottom of: http://www.edn.com/design/consumer/4413332/Circuit-protection--Understanding-differences-in-the-Human-Body-Model-and-IEC-61000-4-2-standards

2. olegausany
    Just because it costs twice more money

3. ThELiZ
    The price is the same in the UK for both the HA-1 and Hugo. I really wish I could demo as I've heard so many conflicting opinions. IF it helps, I won't be using the PM-1 as a portable. I'd hate to take that much worth of gear out and about.

I have to say, I like the idea of a desktop sized amp and having both Oppo products. But... I heard the Hugo at a show last year and it sounded incredible with the Audeze LCD3.

No idea what to do!

4. Herueyes
    Hey Hastur!!!!!

I just did the deed - ordered a silver one - Spoke to Derek...

Methinks you and Derek might be one and the same person...

Y'all might want to get some therapy for that bipolar Schiit...[​IMG]

NeWayz just give it the white glove treatment i.e. No Blemishes!!!!!

Dexter.gif

Peace....[​IMG]

5. sbgunn

This is exactly what happened to mine - rear USB input just stopped working one day but optical and other inputs were fine. Oppo had me troubleshoot a bit and did an advance exchange. The whole warranty process was smooth. New one has been working just fine since I got it even without a powered hub. I just assumed it was an odd glitch with my original unit.

6. mithrandir38
    I have a classic gen 7 and it IS compatible. No freezing up, and it passes the data.

7. Maxx134
    Hey no problem I actually agree with your point!

The reason is I don't see them as opposing viewpoints, but actual points to a multi faceted issue with various variables involved.
    To me they are pieces of a puzzle and do not conflict but instead add up to try cover all the complexity of the reality of the situation which is hard to fully capture in a description.
    So I appreciate you point out other sides..(!)
    :)

8. Maxx134
    For protection I suggest the schiit wyrd usb decrapifier..

9. Maxx134
    If the Hugo is prices as low as the HA-1 (around $1.2k) then it is probably great for portable use if you are able to spend that much on a portable unit. .
    Otherwise it is just apples and oranges and just totally different item categories that are odd to be comparing.

This is the second time I see a comparison of this nature I believe can be taken out of context.

Just an odd thing to do and To me, it is misleading For any reviewer who is testing,
    to say the Hugo has more details without specifics.

It is general consensus that balanced output is superior to normal headphone out.
    Similar opinion applies to speaker taps being superior.
    Also, in my experience,
    every headphone I tried, on the HA -1 balanced xlr outputs, sound superior to its headphone out.
    I would consider the HA-1 competitive, if not superior to anything its price range...

That being said:
    1-Reviewers simply put it out there with no evidence that they used anything other than normal headphone out on the pm1.
    2-The pm1 does not come with a balanced connector.

Therefore it is a correct assumption to say they didn't use the HA-1 to its potential with the balanced xlr outputs which are superior.

Therefore the statement that hugo has more details than HA-1 when using the pm1 needs more clarification and is misleading.
    :p
    There are other adjectives I can use to describe the HA-1 like "soundtage", "impact, "bass weight", "clarity", "realism" and all those words have greater impact and cover more description than the word "details".
    So throwing out arbitrary comments to put down the HA-1, or elevate the Hugo, doesn't wash with me...
    :wink:

10. SpudHarris Contributor

Nicely put.....

11. HasturTheYellow

No, Derek and I are not one in the same.

The HA-1 stands were actually hand built, so I am not at all surprised if some amount of "character" got through the line. I wouldn't expect that from the HA-1 as it is primarily automated with a small amount of manual installation.

12. ThELiZ

Well, we actually get pretty ripped off over here for Oppo stuff. The Oppo is £1200 ($2000) and the Hugo can be had for the same price. I know you shouldn't judge something by the fact that it costs more, but I don't like the idea of getting ripped off for the Oppo.

13. Herueyes

Hey now Hastur it was just an observation... Don't take it personally.

Just saying that Jekyll and Hyde stuff can get outta hand real fast... Nah Mean...

Ya'll errr I mean you and or Derek might want to sit down and check out "Enemy" with Jake Gyllenhaal [​IMG]

Enemy-poster-2013.jpg

You know - just to clear matters up and see Who's Who... [​IMG]

NeWayz the HA-1 and Stand are definitely gonna make an appearance at the NY Area Meet this November

I might give Jude a call to see if he's going to be there with his PM-1's

If not I may PM you about it - no need to bring Derek into this [​IMG]

As always...

Dexter.gif

Peace...[​IMG]

14. Maxx134
    those have living in warm climates or warm inside I found a neat little solution...
    20140909_070159.jpg
    mini laptop fan!
    20140909_070458.jpg
    nice
    20140909_070520.jpg

15. Maxx134
    it fits perfect

20140909_070542.jpg

although I use it for my SONY VAIO VGN-P type mini laptop which fits nicely in the back..
    All black :)

20140909_070216.jpg

I still think that just putting feet under the oppo is best solution as the time it takes to heat up is much longer and it is not as hot anymore unless I leave on 24hrs but still not as hot as stock feet which I feel is a huge oversight on their part as this unit deserves some nice big feet!

First

Back
101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110
112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121
Next

Last