Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Jan 5, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #1,396 of 1,608
I am thinking of purchasing a iFi xCAN portable amp to use with my Pioneer XDP-30R.

What connectors would I need? Will this give me full benefit of the balanced output of the XPD-30R?

I have balanced cable for my HD650's.

Are there any other portable or small desktop amps that I should consider?

Thanks for your time. I have been trying to get the most out of this dap and researching to the best of my ability.

Rgds

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #1,397 of 1,608
I am thinking of purchasing a iFi xCAN portable amp to use with my Pioneer XDP-30R.

What connectors would I need? Will this give me full benefit of the balanced output of the XPD-30R?

Thanks for your time. I have been trying to get the most out of this dap and researching to the best of my ability.

Rgds

I have found out that the amp comes with 2.5 male to male which should look after the connection - I believe?

Jan 7, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #1,398 of 1,608

Rgds

You'll need a cable, with one end 2,5mm (TRRS) terminated and the other end having Sennheiser connectors. I bought mine from oiosound for something like £40 - it's an original Sennheiser cable, reterminated with the 2,5mm TRRS plug. Very much improving the sound of the HD650/HD6xx vs the normal 3,5 unbalanced.

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #1,399 of 1,608
You'll need a cable, with one end 2,5mm (TRRS) terminated and the other end having Sennheiser connectors. I bought mine from oiosound for something like £40 - it's an original Sennheiser cable, reterminated with the 2,5mm TRRS plug. Very much improving the sound of the HD650/HD6xx vs the normal 3,5 unbalanced.

Thanks - I have had a balanced cable since I received the HD6xx.

My concern now is whether I am wasting my time trying to use the XPD-30r as a source and DAC?

Jan 14, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #1,400 of 1,608
Hi all! New kid here with xdp-30r.

An important question (to me, at least), seem that isn't any form to get L/B balance on device itself, isn't it?

I'm partially deaf on my right ear (3/6 dB barely) and, to compensate, is great on my actual Cayin N3 to rise channel balance...

Any idea to how to get this? or i'm damned to rise right channel every album on footbar 2000 (or audicity) previous to xdp-30r?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #1,401 of 1,608
does anyone here own any other higher end DAPs or compared the Onkyo extensively to something from AK (70II, KANN), Sony (NW300, WMA1)?

i'm curious whether the DAC and AMP chips in those other players really expand on the audio quality of onkyo?

specifically i'm looking at some of those DAPs because i'd like to have a 1-in-all DAP that i can also use as a USB DAC and it seems like all of the above besides WMA1 support that functionality. The KANN is there because it's the only one that offers 2 usb cards, something that i really like about the onkyo, and i'm hoping with new releases a second hand KANN will dip well below the retail.

I want to compare side by side with a modest (but powerful) Cayin N3 in a short future.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #1,402 of 1,608
Just received it this morning from UPS. So far, I'm impressed with the sound quality. It's more refined than my previous DAPS (Hidizs AP60 v1 and v2, and Cayin N3, as well as iPod Shuffle I still use).

Well, just a couple of hours playing with it but.... for me has lesser detail and lesser imaging than Cayin N3 (my only other DAP) featuring AK4490.

More presence and more elaborate bass so far.
But may i change my mind through the time....we'll see

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #1,403 of 1,608
I am also having a problem with the 30r.

When i use it as a source plugged into my dac via the usb cable and play dsd, i get a gurgley sound through out everything. Only happens with dsd and only when usb outputted to my main dac. Anybody know what causes this.

Also i cant see here how to start a new thread so sorry for hijacking

T

Jan 25, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #1,405 of 1,608
I have the onkyo dp-s1 and it has the latest firmware but i see no tidal, I see only deezer and two other streaming services, how can I add tidal please

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #1,406 of 1,608
I have the onkyo dp-s1 and it has the latest firmware but i see no tidal, I see only deezer and two other streaming services, how can I add tidal please
Is yours a unit bough in Japan, or just possibly a grey import originally sourced from Japan? These do not have TIDAL enabled as far as I know. TIDAL is always present in the binary, but it's not possible to enable it if it's locked out.

Jan 26, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #1,407 of 1,608
Is yours a unit bough in Japan, or just possibly a grey import originally sourced from Japan? These do not have TIDAL enabled as far as I know. TIDAL is always present in the binary, but it's not possible to enable it if it's locked out.
how can i know if it is sourced from japan as i got from another person

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #1,410 of 1,608
Hi all!

I'm a new happy owner of Onkyo Rubato DP-S1(b).
I haven't played with any settings yet, just transferring my music files onto a 400Gb microsdxc card now.
But I have a couple of initial questions:
1) The player has a balanced 2.5mm output. My mostly used IEMs are Shure SE535 ltd-j. I believe I should buy a balanced cable for them (my current Oyaide HPC-SE has only two cores and cannot be terminated to a balanced jack, I guess).
Are Bispa 2.5mm cables any good? I mean sound/price/durability. Or can anybody recommend a decent but not overpriced balanced cable, please?
2) I have an Oyaide HPC-35R cable (3.5mm mini-jack => 2RCA). If I re-terminate it with a 2.5mm mini-jack, will it make any difference when used with a headphone amp + fullsize headphones (the headphones are not balanced).

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back