*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Sep 25, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,126 of 2,577
So check this out: I asked Schiit about the 300/600 issue described above. "Nick" at Schiit said that the regular Magni 2 should be just fine with the 600 ohm cans and said he really only recommends the Uber if I'm keen on the pre-amping business. So then he changed my order to the non-Uber.

I'm damn impressed by any business that says, "no, you don't need the more expensive thing, get the cheaper one."

Well, it COULD be that the profit margin of the Magni2 is higher than the Magni2Uber, hence recommending the M2 makes financial sense for them. Though I doubt that. But just recommending a cheaper option doesn't mean this decision is not driven by financial reasons.

Again, not stating that this is the case, as I believe in Schiits integrity.

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,127 of 2,577
  That's supply and demand, complicated by what the market will bear. I hope it met with your satisfaction.

How could I say otherwise after spending all that money 
beerchug.gif

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #1,130 of 2,577
  Quick confirmation: because of the 10-second startup delay that means I can just leave my headphones plugged into the magni 2 without risk, correct?

Yes, you are good to go, as long as no-one turned up the volume all the way when you weren't looking.

Sep 28, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #1,131 of 2,577
  Yes, you are good to go, as long as no-one turned up the volume all the way when you weren't looking.

Nah I always check the volume is at 0 before turning on the Magni, though I have once or twice turned the dial to max on silent just to check there is no static noise.

Funny, I have used 2 separate pairs of HD 650s and I am constantly paranoid the right-side can is clearer though I have always had this bias with several phones and I am pretty sure this is also due to stereo instrumental sound from most songs.

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #1,132 of 2,577
  Nah I always check the volume is at 0 before turning on the Magni, though I have once or twice turned the dial to max on silent just to check there is no static noise.

Funny, I have used 2 separate pairs of HD 650s and I am constantly paranoid the right-side can is clearer though I have always had this bias with several phones and I am pretty sure this is also due to stereo instrumental sound from most songs.

You could try swapping channels by plugging the wires into the opposite ear cups and then put on the headhones reversed. If the clarity moved to the other earcup, then you have something to figure out. Besides paranoia it could be your amp/electronics or hearing.

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #1,133 of 2,577

Try an online hearing test that does a sweeping sine wave sound, I had the same issue with some of any headphones. Until I found out that one of my ears has a slight dip in frequency hearing. Which explained the "imbalance".  Sometimes you also might have a small cold or blocked ear and you don't realize.

So check your ears and reverse the headphones etc. to eliminate that first.

Cheers,
K

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #1,139 of 2,577
Hi all, 

I need your advice.  My current setup includes the Uber Modi 2, Magni 2, and the Sennheiser HD 650, along with AudioQuest carbon USB cable to connect the DAC to the computer.  I use this setup to listen to music from the computer while at work.  Now I would like to upgrade my HD 650 cable to the Silver Dragon V3 from Moon Audio.  Do you think this cable would make a different with this setup?  It would be wonderful to hear from those who have this or similar setup.  

Thanks,

Dan  

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #1,140 of 2,577
  Hi all, 

I need your advice.  My current setup includes the Uber Modi 2, Magni 2, and the Sennheiser HD 650, along with AudioQuest carbon USB cable to connect the DAC to the computer.  I use this setup to listen to music from the computer while at work.  Now I would like to upgrade my HD 650 cable to the Silver Dragon V3 from Moon Audio.  Do you think this cable would make a different with this setup?  It would be wonderful to hear from those who have this or similar setup.  

Thanks,

Dan  

IMO, save your money for other things that will actually benefit you. Silver or copper will sound the same, esecially with a headphone of a high impedance such as the HD650. Any small variation in cable resistance pales in comparison to the 300 Ohm impedance of the HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back